Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
cfremming
Registered Users
seller

Difference between Moby and homemade wrap?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Moby wrap or just make my own out of some cotton knit. I'm planning on using it for my newborn. Is there a big difference between a real Moby wrap and a homemade one? Anyone used both, was the difference very big? Would cotton gauze be better for summer, is it as comfy for newborns?
Thanks!

Advertisement

cfremming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Difference between Moby and homemade wrap?

There's not a huge difference between a moby and a homemade moby. I find that my moby is much tighter/snugger wrap - the baby sits "snugger" to me with it. The homemade moby is much stretchier and baby can push herself away from me easier. Moby is hotter and thicker. Homemade moby is a bit thinner and cooler. I suspect the Moby is more supportive and would do better holding an older/heavier baby.

These are just nuances though - the differences are not significant. I would do whatever is cheaper. i think u will find thata used moby i cheaper than buying the fabric - simpler too.

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I borrowed a friends Moby to try and then I made my own, how stretchy or supportive it is depends on what fabric you use I got my fabric from a close out sale and paid $7 for just under 6 yards. I used it until my son was about 20lbs then they tend to stretch too much with the weight. Fabrics such as linen are better for bigger babies and toddlers then stretchy wraps which are almost impossible to get tight enough for a toddler and so would last you longer for the money.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
I made my moby from jersey knit. I love it and have used it through two babies. Found the fabric on sale too. If i tie it tight enough, i dont notice any give. I use an ergo once they have good head control.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
lulutattoos
Registered Users

Im brand new but I'll throw my two cents in anyway.
I have a moby. It's thick, and hot. it's also a pain to wrap. BUT it's somehow a bit more. . . supportive? I guess would be the right word.

I also have a knit wrap that I made to my own specs based on what I wished my moby was. I found the fabric on clearance at walmart for $1 a yard. It's a knit (great because you don't have to sew knit materials) but it's VERY thin and has only a slight amount of diagonal give. Definitely not as stretchy as the moby. I'm little so I got about 5.5 yards. Cut it down the length so I had two separate wraps about 22" wide and 5.5 yards long, tapered the ends to a point so that it's not as bulky to tie. kept one, giving one away. It's easier to use, easier to fold up and stick in the diaper bag, and doesn't make baby all sweaty. however, it's not as comfortable to wear for super long periods because the fabric isn't as thick in structure and doesn't seem to stay flat across my back. it rolls along the edges a bit and I have to adjust it maybe once an hour.

Osnaburg muslin is an excellent choice for woven wrap material, but the edges have to be hemmed, since it will fray. It's also rather "boring" because it only comes in a sort of khaki color, but I personally like the look of it. Very earthy!

wordy, I know, but that's about everything I personally know about the ins and outs of moby vs homemade.

Last edited by lulutattoos; 04-20-2013 at 11:11 PM.
lulutattoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
greenmamabecky
Registered Users
seller

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 5 yards of white jersey knit for $18. Got two wraps out of it, and I'm going to tie dye them :-)
I LOVE them. They re so easy to wrap, comfortable to wear, and my baby falls asleep within minutes whereas he screamed his head off in my Beco Butterfly II and fussed a lot in my Maya RS.
I actually went back today but they were closed. I'm going tomorrow to get 6 yards more because the 5 yards barely fits me and I need one for DH and one for my cousin when she babysits. I went to the mall today for about 3 hours walked around and had no problems except at the very end it started to get loose and he was slouching down, but I've heard that happens with the Moby as well.
greenmamabecky is offline   Reply With Quote