Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dyslexia

So we go onMonday to have my son tested. He struggles with reading and his behavior therapist mentioned dyslexia. I ignored him because my DS doesn't write backwards. Well I found this local private school that caters to ADHD and dyslexic children and offers tutoring. DS does have anADHD diagnosis. I called and talked to the lady for 3 minutes and she asked if anyone had ever mentioned dyslexia to me. I learned a lot of info from her but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their child and dyslexia?

Advertisement

omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I don't but I've worked with them. Its much more involved than writing backwards, there are many variations. Several kids I've worked with switch around sounds when pronouncing multi syllable words, like "scelatope" instead of "telescope"
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I don't but I've worked with them. Its much more involved than writing backwards, there are many variations. Several kids I've worked with switch around sounds when pronouncing multi syllable words, like "scelatope" instead of "telescope"
I still do that when I get in a hurry or have a lot on my mind.

I am wondering if my DS1 may have some struggles with it. He just turned 4 and is only tracing letters, but he starts from the right and moves to the left when tracing a letter. He often switches syllables, like instead of "forget" he says "getfor". Sometimes I catch myself a few minutes later and realize I didn't even catch that he said it backwards.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh View Post
I still do that when I get in a hurry or have a lot on my mind.

I am wondering if my DS1 may have some struggles with it. He just turned 4 and is only tracing letters, but he starts from the right and moves to the left when tracing a letter. He often switches syllables, like instead of "forget" he says "getfor". Sometimes I catch myself a few minutes later and realize I didn't even catch that he said it backwards.
Writing backwards is very typical and teachers (I am a Kindergarten teacher) dont typically red flag that as a sign until the end of second grade. Writing backwards is very developmentally appropriate for this age as is starting on the right side of the page.
I may ask the pediatrician about switching the syllables though.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
prairiewindmomma
Registered Users

I've got a dyslexic..... FWIW, I'd also rule out functional vision issues. We've discovered that for many kids, the issues are intertwined. Find a COVD dr. who can do an evaluation.

We homeschool, and use Orton-Gillingham based methods with good results. The "best" dyslexia program is Barton....and at $300/level, it's cheaper than private school.
prairiewindmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest dd has dyslexia and had an IEP when she was in school. She's 19 now and out of school. I started to see signs of things in preschool but sometimes writing and reading backwards can be normal for that age. Often times schools will wait until 3rd grade to test since by that age kids either outgrow the backwards reading or it will get much, much worse.

Often schools are difficult when it comes to special education testing and services. Don't be afraid to speak up if you feel your child needs something more than the school is offering. I had to fight the school to have my daughter tested. She failed every spelling test the entire year in 3rd grade but she's a bright girl and scored well on the standardized testing that year so the school didn't want to test her. She was just a good guesser on the standardized testing.

After the testing showed she did have a learning disability, the school gave her an IEP. Some schools will try to get out of giving a child an IEP but it's often just due to budget reasons and the schools are trying to save money, not that your child doesn't need it. It's a legal document that all her teachers are required to follow so if a teacher doesn't follow it, you have legal recourse to make them comply. Some teachers are nice and may be willing to do some of these things on their own but other teachers are annoyed about having to do something extra and won't do anything to help out of the goodness of their hearts. The IEP is important since this year's teacher may be nice and helpful but next year's teacher might not be. The IEP will follow your child through out school until they graduate.

For my daughter, the school set up in class support for her in all classes (so there is an extra teacher in the classroom for my daughter so if she isn't able to keep up with the main teacher or has questions, my daughter can ask the in class support teacher for help with her questions, that was a HUGE help), she took all tests untimed (this was a big help also so she could work at her own pace, this included standardized testing), she was put in an extra class to work on strategies so she could try to find other ways to help her to be able to read and write things that were difficult for her (this was a huge help, too so now she is able to find ways to read and write things on her own that she wasn't able to do 10 years ago), the school changed how things are graded for her (spelling didn't count on say a history assignment), they modified assignments so she only had to do 20 problems instead of 40 since it took her longer, the teacher had to give her written study guides for everything since it was hard for her to retain information spoken out loud, she sits up front in all classes so she isn't as distracted by other students and I am allowed to modify her homework with out penalty to her (I can tell her to only do 1/2 the problems if I see she is struggling or I can even write a note to the teacher saying that my dd didn't understand and couldn't complete the homework and dd doesn't get marked off for not doing it). I'm trying to remember the other things in her IEP. There was a lot of things they did to help her and I did see what a big difference it made for her. Good luck!
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
ustasmom
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 kids in vision therapy. My 11 year old boy hasn't progressed as far as the doctor believes that he should have, so he is thinking that dyslexia is an issue.

My friend said that the definition of dyslexia is the lack of reading fluency by 4th grade. Yep, that would be Ben.

I am going to Barton route. Yes, it is expensive. But, I can use it with my 6 year old VT girl. My middle son has zoomed past his older brother already. And we have had so many fails with so many reading programs, I simply don't want another failed attempt.