Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cloth diapering newbie twins

Be sure you buy extra covers if you are going this route. The other twin mama said they poop 1-3 times a day each. That is potentially 6 covers out of rotation in a day (unless you hand wash) so keep that in mind.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
thanks for your replies!

nonipie when you said you used the Nikky in the beginning I'm assuming you used the newborn (NOT the smalls), right? And I should get the imagine bamboo or the regular prefolds? (preemie right? I know dumb questions but I've read some people say that babies outgrow the preemie so fast that it's not worth the money paying for the preemie size)

dvrgrl38 which exact prefolds are you using? I'm assuming preemie. How many do you think I need based on your experience thus far? And does it bother you that the Bummis Super Lite Wrap doesn't have crossover straps? As in the fit is still great (I'm assuming so cause you love it so much). And the Litewrap Preemie cover how is it better or worse than the Bummis Super Lite Wrap? Sorry for the million questions! I am terrified of overspending and want to research the heck out of this. AND CONGRATULATONS TO YOU !!!!
I am using preemie prefolds, OsoCosy prefolds from amazon b/c I had a gift card, but any cotton ones are about the same in preemie size. For newborn size I like GMD for the size, but they are too big now...the only problem is the absorbancy right now for my son, he needs a doubler. And I'd say 2 dozen works fine for us but we use sposies at night...3 dozen is probably better... and I LOVE preemie prefolds for burp cloths, spit up wipes and they are cheap that for twins I think they are worth it.
For the covers, I like the Bummis Super Lite better than the Litewrap Preemie b/c they are softer, but I do like the fit of them both. The litewrap has a higher rise which is great for fitteds but not good when they still have their umbilical cord. And even at 5lb 6oz we didn't need the crossover velcro so I don't miss it at all...
I'll try to get some pics up

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn

Last edited by dvrgrl38; 04-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Be sure you buy extra covers if you are going this route. The other twin mama said they poop 1-3 times a day each. That is potentially 6 covers out of rotation in a day (unless you hand wash) so keep that in mind.
And my other babies pooped much more than that, probably 8 times a day! I am a HUGE fan of wipe-clean inners of covers, that way you can easily hand wash and dry fast if needed.

And my twins are b/g.

If I get a chance I will pad fold a preemie prefold, newborn prefold, and small flat into the covers and take pics for you

Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
PurpleMonkey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrgrl38 View Post
And my other babies pooped much more than that, probably 8 times a day! I am a HUGE fan of wipe-clean inners of covers, that way you can easily hand wash and dry fast if needed.

And my twins are b/g.

If I get a chance I will pad fold a preemie prefold, newborn prefold, and small flat into the covers and take pics for you
I know you are busy, but I would appreciate if you get a chance to do that! TRUST ME I remember those early days with twins and I don't want you to say skip a much-needed nap to take pictures for me lol

thank you again everyone! I have all girls, but the ones inside me we'll be finding out soon enough. I am actually hoping they are girls for selfish reasons as I have a MILLION girly one-sized diapers already
Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

For prefolds I'd def get bamboo bc the babies are likely to outgrow absorbency before size with trifolding, and bamboo will be much more absorbent than just cotton.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
jcmommyoftwo
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

My twins are three months old. They were preemies and only 4lbs at birth so we started with the happy heinys preemie diapers and a few nana's bottoms preemie AIOs with a few hemp contures with wool covers thrown in. I focused mainly on AIO's so my husband and baby sitters wouldn't get confused. After that I moved to BG newborns and newborn prefitteds with doublers. I could use the prefitteds when we first got home if I folded them down in front but they were pretty bulky. My absolute favorite covers were the bummis super brites which worked from the beginning as long as I used the crossever tabs. My babies are heavy wetters so I didn't bother with our preemie prefolds and used them as burp clothes. I had to use doublers with the HH diapers from the beginning but they just fit so incredibly well that I made them work. The nana's bottoms were more absorbent so I had a tendency to grab those first. I'm not sure what to tell you about prefolds although I think bamboo is more absorbent. I know some people have talked about using as little as a washcloth in a cover in the beginning but no way would that have worked on my babies even in the NICU. Does that help at all?

Congratulations on the second set of twins! I can't even imagine. One set is enough for me!

ETA: Oh and my babies poop a LOT at the beginning. One was dirty at every change without fail and the other was poopy at most changes so if you go the prefold route, make sure you have plenty of covers.
Annaliese & Kirsten born 12/21/12

Last edited by jcmommyoftwo; 04-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
jcmommyoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

If it were me, I'd get 40-48 preemie Nana's bottoms AIOs and the same amount of NB Nana's Bottoms AIOS or get in on a THX NB AIO co-op on Facebook or here. Denise at Nana's Bottoms will offer a sizable discount on a big order and always has at least a 20% off sale code. I just would want super convenience with twins.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Preemie prefold padfolded under a bummis superlite nb cover
Macy is 6.5lbs

GMD Newborn prefold padfolded under a bummis superlite nb cover
Macy is 6.5lbs

Last edited by dvrgrl38; 04-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
Mama_To_Miracles
Registered Users

My Mood:

dvrgrl38- any chance you could show a pic with how the prefold looks laying inside the cover and how you folded it? I tried this with my preemie prefolds (Bummis) and couldn't get it to work in my bummis original cover as the prefold was so narrow and long. They are not the wide cut prefolds. I was going to get some superbrites as well, but not sure how useful they will be, so would be really helpful to see how you made it work . Just didn't realize the cut of the prefolds before ordering them.

Only cover it has worked in so far is the Nana's Bottoms preemie as they are trimmer in the crotch than the other brands I have tried (much nicer!). So I have ordered lots of these as we were planning to do a lot of trifolding in that stage as well!
Mama_To_Miracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

seriously, where are the adorable twins in cloth pics to go with this thread??