Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yep, I get those. Trembling cold. And heavy sweats.

Pretty sure they're hormonal.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I always get terrible postpartum night sweats. I wouldn't worry unless you are also running a fever.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: postpartum shivering spells?

I had that this time around. To the point I was wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt to bed with an extra blanket. Now I'm back to the hot flashes at night, which I'm not sure I prefer. Either way, it's weird when you've never experienced it before.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

OP, did you see your doctor? The postpartum fever is a pretty big deal.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
OP, did you see your doctor? The postpartum fever is a pretty big deal.
yes, they finally agreed to see me, it took 2 days to get an appointment (grrr).
i'm on antibiotics now, as he is fairly sure I have a urinary tract infection- he said my urine sample looked "terrible" and said he hopes it has not gone to my kidneys!! He also thinks I have a virus on top of it. After one day of antibiotics, the shivering spells have stopped, but I have still had a low grade fever off and on, chills, headaches, etc. And pain when urinating.

If I had been more informed, I would have gotten myself to the doctor much much earlier. I've never had a uti before and really thought all my symptoms were just typical side effects from giving birth...
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
yes, they finally agreed to see me, it took 2 days to get an appointment (grrr).
i'm on antibiotics now, as he is fairly sure I have a urinary tract infection- he said my urine sample looked "terrible" and said he hopes it has not gone to my kidneys!! He also thinks I have a virus on top of it. After one day of antibiotics, the shivering spells have stopped, but I have still had a low grade fever off and on, chills, headaches, etc. And pain when urinating.

If I had been more informed, I would have gotten myself to the doctor much much earlier. I've never had a uti before and really thought all my symptoms were just typical side effects from giving birth...
I can't believe it took two days for the doctor to see you! Postpartum fever (esp. combined with chills) is one of the primary symptoms of sepsis. If I had seen your thread when you first posted, I would have immediately responded.

Don't feel bad about not being more informed. I have a friend who is a birth educator and doula (who should have known better!) and she ignored her fever and ended up in the hospital with sepsis. If it weren't for that case I would not have known about it either. It's written in the post-birth materials that hospitals and homebirth midwives give you, but there's so much stuff there I'm not sure who reads it all (definitely not me!).

I'm glad you're on antibiotics now. Hopefully, it's no worse than the UTI (even that's terrible enough). Make sure you simultaneously take a good probiotic (I love Dr. Ron's b/c it's a shelf-stable liquid).
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard it can be horomones. I shake uncontrollably in the early stages of labor. It's super weird because I'm not cold or in extreme pain yet, just shaking like a leaf.