Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
stephsicola
Registered Users
seller

Water Breaking and VBAC

With DD1, she was 12 days late when my water broke. Labor stalled before my scheduled induction the next morning (because of low fluid and calcification). I showed up and the OB gave me some time before giving cytotech but eventually we had to. She never descended, and so I never fully dilated before she went into distress 31 hours after my water breaking.

My mom and sister both had stalled labor after their water broke (twice for my sister although the first time Pitocin was administered and she delivered vaginally. Second was a section). After listening to a lot of birth stories, it seems like lots of women have a hard time with labor if their water breaks on its own BEFORE labor starts. Statistics indicate that 18% of women experience watre breaking before labor. thats nowhere near a majority of women. i feel like its an indicator that something is wrong.

We are going to start trying for #2 in a little less than a hear and are hoping for a VBAC. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this, had thought sbout it, or knows of things i could do to prevent my water from breaking before labor.

TIA. Also, sorry for any tupos. my ipad isnt snowing my text!say

After listen g

Advertisement

stephsicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
GerbersRN
Registered Users

Re: Water Breaking and VBAC

Hi! I had a csection with my first, but not for the same reasons as yourself. My water broke the day before my scheduled induction with labor starting 12 hours afterward. I fully dilated and effaced, in fact I walked into the hospital at 5.5 cm without anything. My issue was my LO was posterior and poorly positioned and with my epidural they wouldn't get me up and around so after 5 hours of pushing and 3 hours of having her head crowning we called it quits. I know of lots I women whose water have broken and had successful labors. My mother and sister included in that If your water breaks this time, do not fear that the same thing will happen! Every birth, labor and child is different! Best of luck!! BTW I will trying for my VBAC this November
GerbersRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
mella1922
Registered Users
seller

A lot of times the waters rupturing before labor is a sign of fetal position (posterior or an asynclinic head), and without the cushion of the amniotic fluid, it can be harder for the baby to turn into an optimal position for descent and delivery. This doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong though. You can check out spinningbabies.com for tips on optimal fetal positioning tips and tricks to do during pregnancy to help babies get into better positions when labor does happen. It's also thought that excellent nutrition during pregnancy helps to make a stronger amniotic sac. I would suggest checking out Aviva Jill Romm's "The Natural Pregnancy Book" for nutrition education pre-conception and all the way through the pregnancy.

Maybe also shop around for midwives who are supportive of VBACs, as they tend to higher success rates than OBs!
mella1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I took vitamin c supplements which strengthens the amniotic sac. I had 43 & 36 hour labours and my water didn't break with my first until a few hours before I delivered and I had them broken with my second (I was 10cm with no pushy feelings, 24 hours into labour - I would refuse if I could go back in time simply because of the dumb dr bullying me about it and then after it was done, threatening me!!!)...

Sorry, went off topic; vitamin c is amazing!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My water broke just as my labour was starting with my first baby - in prelabour, not active labour, and things progressed without trouble, for what it's worth.

I'd second the vitamins/healthy diet. My midwife has said that women who eat well and take their vitamins have tough water bags, so that might help you out, if you're worried.

All the best for a great delivery this time around!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
kej
Registered Users
seller

My water broke at 2 pm and I didn't go into labor. They finally started Pitocin at 11 pm, and still I didn't progress. I had a C-section the next morning.

I did have a successful vbac, where I actually went into labor, and my water broke during a contraction (I'll never forget throwing up and water gushing out of me at the same moment. It was not pretty). I don't know what the difference in births was, but they were night and day.

I did not have supportive ob's, but I did hire a doula for my second birth, and she helped me keep my head clear and stay the course with a vbac.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
stephsicola
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mella1922 View Post
A lot of times the waters rupturing before labor is a sign of fetal position (posterior or an asynclinic head), and without the cushion of the amniotic fluid, it can be harder for the baby to turn into an optimal position for descent and delivery. This doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong though. You can check out spinningbabies.com for tips on optimal fetal positioning tips and tricks to do during pregnancy to help babies get into better positions when labor does happen. ...

Maybe also shop around for midwives who are supportive of VBACs, as they tend to higher success rates than OBs!
That makes a lot of sense! DD was posterior and her head was tilted funny. I'll have to do more about spinning babies next time.

My OB was pretty fantastic--the day after she was born, he came to check on me, held my daughter for 45 minutes, and talked to me about my VBAC! We had a midwife in addition last time, and think that we will at least have a doula next time.

I'll definitely keep the Vitamin C in mind. And another reason to make sure I eat well!
Thanks, ladies!
stephsicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
sawebber2005
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had 2 drug free VBACs. I had a cesarean with my first at 36 weeks bc my water broke and then labor "stalled". With my 2nd, I was going for a home birth (we lived in NC at the time), my water broke at 38 weeks and my midwife waited till 3 days later to see if labor would start. It didn't so I went to the hospital and 3 hours of drug free labor, later he came flying out. So with my 3rd son, I did research on how to keep my bag of waters strong. I read that if you take 400IU of vitamin e, a day, your sac will be strong. I took it every day, labor started 2 days before I hit 40 weeks. I labored for 3 hours, and my water didn't break till I was pushing. My OB held my sac up and said it was so thick and strong. So my suggestion is to take Vit e before you even start TTC. It really works. Also, for a successful VBAC, I suggest laboring at home for awhile, avoiding pain meds and moving around. Walking, squatting, sitting on a birth ball... All of those things help! Also, drink raspberry leaf tea! I pushed for 10 mins with ds3 and I think it was bc of that tea! I agree with finding a supportive care provider. I did all of these things and I've had 2 successful VBACs! I'm going for my 3rd in July! I always tell women to find a midwife bc OBs like mine are extremely extremely rare. Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by sawebber2005; 04-18-2013 at 07:16 PM.
sawebber2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
GerbersRN
Registered Users

Position makes total sense!!!! Every time my sister or moms water broke and when mine did the baby was posterior... Hmm. I never would have thought about that!!!
GerbersRN is offline   Reply With Quote