Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ

Go-Gurt is a yogurt that is highly marketed to kids much like sugary breakfast cereals are. It comes in prepackaged tubes, with an over processed version of what was once a healthy snack (plain yogurt). It has a lot of extra added chemicals, flavors and sugars. I've been told that the US version has more sugar than Coca-Cola!

http://www.hapimoms.com/Go-Gurt.html
Ahhhhh yes, "yogurt" in a tube. We have that here too but I don't know what they're called as I've never bought them. Your description makes them sound extra appealing...lol

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do your kids get for an after school snack?

DD1 eats lunch at 12:15-12:45
DD2 eats lunch at 11:15-11:45
DD3 eats lunch at 1:00pm
DS eats lunch at 12:30pm

I wake ds up at 3:30 to go pick up dd3 from preK and we are all home around 4:05. We usualy eat dinner around 7pm....schedules vary depending on time of year. Right now here is when dinner happens:
Monday - 7pm
Tuesday - 6:15pm (In the car between dd3 ballet and dd1 and dd2 swim team practice) Dh and I eat after we get them home and in bed around 9:15
Wednesday - DD1 and DD2 eat at 6pm, DD3 and DS eat at 7:10, dh and I eat after we get everyone home from their activities and them in bed around 9pm
Thursday 7:30pm
Friday 7pm

On Tues and Wed they get a quick smaller snack b/c they mostly eat early. The other days when they don't eat until 7pm or 7:30 they get a bigger snack or more of a snack.

Snack options:
celery and ranch
apples and peanut butter
nuts
yogurt
string cheese and triscuits
goldfish
graham crackers and applesauce
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #33
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
Go-Gurt is a yogurt that is highly marketed to kids much like sugary breakfast cereals are. It comes in prepackaged tubes, with an over processed version of what was once a healthy snack (plain yogurt). It has a lot of extra added chemicals, flavors and sugars. I've been told that the US version has more sugar than Coca-Cola!

Not all "gogurt" is created equal. THIS is what we have. Easy for the kids for a quick on the go snack.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #34
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My kids get a snack at their after school program. They serve either fruit or veggies with a grain or dairy product.
Today they had apple slices with yogurt, tomorrow is carrots with hummus and pita. They also have apple sauce and pretzels, cheese and crackers, Cesar salad with croutons etc. They are required to serve 2 food groups with a snack and I love that they chose fruit/veggies most often :-)

When the kids are at home they eat similar snacks when they aren't eating ochazuke (rice with green tea)
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane

Not all "gogurt" is created equal. THIS is what we have. Easy for the kids for a quick on the go snack.
9g of sugar per tube is more than a Quaker chocolate chip granola bar
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #36
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane

That's because it isn't "gogurt". Its the same yogurt replacement option for gogurt in the link I posted earlier called "YoKids" by a completely different manufacturer. She asked what "gogurt" was, and I answered with the truth. If she had asked what "YoKids" was I would have answered differently

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #37
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ
We don't do a set time for snacks or big meals. We eat when our bodies are hungry. If they want more, I give them more. If they don't want a snack, no biggie. If they don't finish, fine. We have a refrigerator that will save it for later. Some days I'm hungrier than others, why should I restrict my kids from that? Especially growing kids. I keep our diets simple, veggies, lean meats, whole wheat, limit fruits, drink mainly water, limit dairy. They can have as much as they want, as long as its healthy.

It doesn't. A gogurt has 10g of sugar per serving. A coke has 65g of sugar per serving.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
That's because it isn't "gogurt". Its the same yogurt replacement option for gogurt in the link I posted earlier called "YoKids" by a completely different manufacturer. She asked what "gogurt" was, and I answered with the truth. If she had asked what "YoKids" was I would have answered differently

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
It seems that around here, people refer to any portable yogurt as gogurt. Same thing as someone calling a facial tissue a kleenex.

I use these and just fill it with real yogurt:
Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #39
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
Ok what is this pirate booty that I have seen mentioned here??
Pirate booty is a puffed corn snack toted more in the natural sections of stores and in trader joe. Kids love it. I give my kids these and also pack a small baggie for the school going kids. Melt easily enough in mouth for younger kids too who you are nervous to give popcorn too.

If you would like to know the sodium/calorie count let me know as I have 1/10 of a bag left

I'm sure pirate booty will get bashed too.......

We do those chobani tubes of yogurt too, more greek yogurt taste, a good intro for kids.

Can you freeze those reusable yogurt containers? Or do they stay cold for school/outing.