Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
emilyTXHIItaly
Registered Users

how common is cloth diapering in Europe?

Does anybody know?

Advertisement

emilyTXHIItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
taupou
Registered Users

Re: how common is cloth diapering in Europe?

Not so common in Germany. Despite that cloth diapering is recommended by many German midwives, neither I nor my midwife has met anyone else who does it. It seems it used to be more common, because a couple of women who have older children and teens have given me hand-me-down cloth diapers.

I have heard defensive arguments from even the most "hippy" mothers I've met here that cloth diapering is just as bad for the environment as disposables because of the water and electricity useage (ignoring the fact that those are renewable resources). When looking for cloth diapers at the largest baby consignment flea markets in Frankfurt, I entered as one of the first through the door only to find ONE package of cloth diapers-- and they were all flat folds. Despite Frankfurt being a major city, there is only one diaper service for the entire region (that is, including several other cities), which is run by one person doing the pickup/ drop offs.

Also, social workers and other mothers were appalled when I said I was going to do cloth diapering (which, by the way, I am having serious problems with getting to work at the moment-- see my other post).

All of this together gives me the impression that it is quite rare.

Last edited by taupou; 03-26-2013 at 07:40 AM.
taupou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see and hear a lot of people trying CDing here in the UK, but not a ton of people going long term. But I do have several shops in my area that carry nicer CDs and even a chain that had flats. So it seems very in line for what I saw in the US. Not a lot of people, but there are pockets of people doing at least some CDing.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

There is a community of cloth diapering in Germany just as their is in the US. I would not say its common but equally not unheard of either. I am very active in the German diapering community but its all German language, so people researching it from an english perspective wont likely find much. Check out naturwindeln.de we also have a facebook group.

Modern cloth diapers are not as common here flats and wool covers can be found at any DM. (like walgreens in germany). You will never find bumgrnius and brand like g diaper are not sold here. You rarely will find cding items on the economy we buy/sell/trade online and online shops stock them.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

And re fleahmarket most will not allow you to sell cloth diapers. Only mullwindeln which are actually being sold as burp clothes.

You will find used cds online ebay, ebaykleinanzeige, naturwindeln.de, many sell here as well. Even local paper adverts but not fleahmarkets.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

It seems to have grown by leaps and bounds here in the last few years, but still I have only ever randomly met other cloth users a couple of times. As already mentioned, you have to a) know where/how to look in the local languages and b) not a lot of people seem to stick with it long term. We have had lots of people give us diapers after trying them with their first and knowing they won't use them again. Their loss, my gain!

Looking around webshops and local swaps/message boards, popular brands in the NL seem to be a variety of eBay cheapies, Tots Bots, Charlie Banana, Bum Genius and Bummis prefolds and covers. See quite a bit of ImseVimse too. We love GroVia at my house, but unfortunately they are not so common in this part of the world.

ETA: there are a couple of municipalities in the NL that even have cloth diapering subsidies. Wish that would come to Amsterdam!

Last edited by Nijntje; 04-08-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
SunshineMami
Registered Users

Im a first time mom and am living in Germany. Im having quite a hard time finding the brands of modern cloth diapers Im after. Selection in stores and even online are extremely limited so Ill have friends and family from U.S. and Australia send the ones Im after to me...super complicated but I havent found an alternative yet.
2+2macht4 you seem to be much more experienced with cd in Germany, maybe you could give me a tip where to get these brands from: ?

bottombumpers AIO OS
bottombumpers AIO Sized SM

Bitty bee changed bamboo AIO preemie/newxborn

Ragababe organic 2 step XS-SM

Softbums echo OS
+bamboo pod pack
+mini bamboo

Charlie banana sized AI2 size XS

Charlie banana sized AI2 OS

Bambooty easy dry newb/sm -med

Im also after a few fitteds from these brands- rumparooz, blueberry, kissaluvs, organic caboose, swaddlebees

For anyone looking for swaddlebees simplex and bumgenius elemental -they re sold on www.blumenkinder.eu/shop
SunshineMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Will respond Form the laptop with links im mobile right now