Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christylkeller
Do you know if FST would dye nicely? I am having trouble finding colored ones at my local Walmart and Target stores, so I thought maybe I could just dye some, but I have never dyed anything, not even tie-dye, so I am a bit scared!!
They'll take dye beautifully . Just make sure you wash them a few times before dyeing.

Advertisement

RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone dye their flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
They'll take dye beautifully . Just make sure you wash them a few times before dyeing.
AWESOME! I can't wait to try this out!! I just bought some new FST tonight!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tie dyed a dozen GMD flats with Dylon dye. Photos and my process here: http://myramblingsunwrapped.blogspot...apers.html?m=1
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

these are mine done with dylon. The pink & purple have held their color really well. The blue and green have faded some. I also have some prefolds that are dyed with dylon and the green is really the only one fading. Not sure why.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

I just bought a wool piece on FSOT that had some fading (I think that's what she said) on the inside the mom said happened b/c of a home dyed diaper underneath. I didn't get more details on the type of dye used or anything as stain is only on the inside. Is that a common problem, and how do you avoid something like that happening?
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Flats really are some of the most fun things to dye. They take color perfectly and they're just one layer. Love it! Here's a couple that I swirl dyed:

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
hlucas777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaraBaby View Post
Flats really are some of the most fun things to dye. They take color perfectly and they're just one layer. Love it! Here's a couple that I swirl dyed:
Oh my how did you do that? Those are gorgeous!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Life View Post
I just bought a wool piece on FSOT that had some fading (I think that's what she said) on the inside the mom said happened b/c of a home dyed diaper underneath. I didn't get more details on the type of dye used or anything as stain is only on the inside. Is that a common problem, and how do you avoid something like that happening?
You just need to make sure you use reliable, colorfast dyes and also make sure you've washed them enough times after the dye process so as to have removed ALL excess dye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaraBaby View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlucas777 View Post
Oh my how did you do that? Those are gorgeous!
You can google swirl or marble dye tutorials. Though I will say from personal experience, there's a reason that so many folks pay WAHMs to do their swirl dye. It's kindof a pain and long-ish process. At least that's my opinion! I think you should hit up Takara Baby for a custom.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Kait5757
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaraBaby
Oh my these are beautiful! I entered to win a flat of yours dyed like this I want it soooo bad!!! Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Kait5757; 04-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Kait5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
You just need to make sure you use reliable, colorfast dyes and also make sure you've washed them enough times after the dye process so as to have removed ALL excess dye!
Thank you Rebekah!

Yes to everything she said - especially the quoted. You want to use good dyes. Procion dyes can be purchased from places like DharmaTrading Co (online) and require a fixative like soda ash. Locally you can purchase Dylon Cold Water or Permanent dyes. These are procion dyes and the soda ash is already mixed in so all you add is salt and hot water. Highly recommend going that route since they can be purchased from Joann's and it's a good way to get the hang of dyeing.

But swirl dyeing is definitely a whole other ball game. There's a fantastic tutorial on the Dharma website from a mama on here - The Indigo Onion. It takes a LOT of trial and error but the results are beautiful and worth the work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kait5757 View Post
Oh my these are beautiful! I entered to win a flat of yours dyed like this I want it soooo bad!!! Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!
Thank you and so glad you entered!! That flat has to go to some one, might as well be you right? Good luck!

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote