Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sleep, O how i miss you!

I'm not sure what this little guy has against sleep but I'm exhausted. He will be 4 months tomorrow and has yet to sleep more than 2 hours consistently. We are cosleeping most nights and even then he is so restless and fussy that neither of us gets much sleep. Occasional he will sleep in his swing but that's becoming rare. He does have reflux and we increased his medication recently and initially saw improvement but now we are back to no sleep. I have three other kiddos, 2 weren't great sleepers early on but cosleeping would wake, nurse and fall back asleep. I also work full time (3 12 hour shifts/week) and I'm just beat! We've tried swaddling, white noise, rock n play, bassinet, crib, nothing helps. I'm not looking for him to sttn, just waking every few hours, nursing then falling back asleep.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sleep, O how i miss you!

mama. Hang in there.

A lot of things change for babes' at/around 4mos. Can you go back and try swaddling & putting babe on their own again? You might see better results this round. Also, at 4 mos they are able to cry in protest (as opposed to actual need), so keep that in mind.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to mix a tiny bit of rice cereal in a bedtime bottle of BM for my reflux baby. I know you're not supposed to give them solids at this age but I felt better about rice cereal than the meds they wanted to put him on (I wouldn't and haven't done it with a non-reflux baby). It almost always bought me a four hour stretch at the beginning of the night.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe he's restless when you cosleep because he needs to sleep alone? I'm all for cosleeping so don't take it as I think you're wrong! DD would roll around in bed and wake up a lot and it's because she needed her space so we put her in her crib. Also if your LO has reflux then elevate the head of the bed to let gravity help. How are daytime naps? Any way to shorten the length of those a bit to make it longer at night?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I second the rice cereal for a reflux baby. It will help keep it down. Make sure to only put a small tablespoon for 4oz. Also, if he is in his own space you can elevate the bed. That helped for us and we still do it whenever he is sick and stuffy.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Naps are minimal (he's a really poor sleeper in general thus far) and are usually in his swing. We've tried the rock n play and crib with the head elevated with no success. We haven't done the rice cereal because he won't take a bottle when I'm around so I just nurse him to sleep.