Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to you relax?

So, I'm in my 3rd trimester with #5...I have 4 other 'little's the oldest is 7.

How to you relax?

This has been a VERY hard and stressful pregnancy for me. I would say I am stressed most of the time. We homeschool, so the kids are here ALL THE TIME! That's gotten hard for now...but I find it hard to think that we would send them to PS next year?

So, how to you relax? With all the kids around?

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to you relax?

I'll be watching this thread. I'm in the same boat. I'm in my first trimester with #5 and my oldest is 6. My short answer is...I don't .
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I only have 4 kids (5 and under) and homeschool the oldest. A few ways I relax:

-sewing
-writing
-it seems weird, but working out relaxes me...after, of course. It relieves SO much stress.
-outside work like mowing (mine go to bed while it's still light outside so I can be in the yard), gardening, I milk our cows too, farmwork
-getting a break and going out with some gal friends once every month or two or hosting a night in with gal friends once the kids go to bed
-playdates with other moms/kids. The kids usually run off and play well for an hour before needing us and we can sit and visit
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Knitting and mom's group meetings/bookclub.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

working out, reading

i hate working out but it helps me settle down & get out of the house for a while & has postitive results!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

I am a mother of 8 and we home school too.

I think sometimes we get caught up in being supermom and make life harder than it is. There is no such thing as "supermom" she does not exist!!!

When pregnant, I always try to get outside and get some fresh air everyday. A light walk, some light gardening, watching the kids play...anything that lets you get fresh air,get moving and enjoying nature.

Also, daily "quiet time" was often needed. Quiet time was usually for 1 hour in the afternoon. During that hour, the kids were either doing individual quiet schoolwork, reading,etc. OR napping. I had it into our daily schedule. Kindergardener down to the youngest napped during this time. Some mothers tend to let older toddlers, preschoolers and kindergardeners skip naps. I dont. If they have trouble falling asleep, they still have to lay there for the hour- usually they are asleep before it is up. If not, they can get up.

Simplify your housework as much as possible. Make sure your older kids are helping as much as they can handle. Our kids are capable of doing a lot more than we usually give them credit for.

Simplify your activities- make sure you are not overdoing activities that take you away from home. This can be creating a lot of your stress. kids wont be deprived if they miss a one season of a childhood sport or chess club,etc.

Make sure you are eating healthy and not eating foods or drinking things that make you MORE stressed. Quit coffee and go for some herb tea - there are lots of good herbs to help out your growing baby and belly. Quit sodas, sugar,etc. Eat a whole foods from diet. Now is the time (before baby is born) to make sure your oldest knows how to cook a few simple healthy meals) Make sure you are taking a good whole foods supplement and that you have enough healthy fats in your diet- good fats play a key role in keeping stress down. Virgin coconut oil, real butter, extra virgin olive oil, virgin palm oil, and also fermented cod liver oil.

Take school work outside for a day when the weather is nice. In the morning pack an ice chest lunch and school stuff and head outside. Throw a blanket down, get some lawn chairs out, or sit a patio table.
Maybe a fresh perspective for your kids will calm them down too.

Start your day off with prayer. Play some relaxing music in your house through out the day. I like classical, but we also like Gregorian chant.

Aromatherapy- sounds crazy but this is very relaxing to a stressed mama. Lavender , Valerian, citrus, lemon, and many more essential oils help relieve stress very well. Just by smelling them or applying them topically. I would only recommend young living oils. www.youngliving.com Get a diffuser if you can afford one. LOVE it.

Spend some quiet prayer time (maybe during the kids quiet time or early in the a.m.) journaling down things that you find stressful. Just taking time to focus on what is bothering you can sometimes help you see the solution. Sometimes the solution is for you to realize that you can change the cause of your stress. Rather, you have to let go and let God take care of it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

OK just realized that the first two posters only have little ones. Some of my suggestions wont help very much.

If your stressed about homeschooling and your oldest is 7 or so, do worry so much.
The most important thing is to get them reading fluently. This is the biggest help when you have little ones to take care of. A fluent reader can do much of his school work on his own.

If your kids all very young, I suggest asking for help (if you have family friends who you trust and are available) or hiring help if you can afford to.

It is hard raising a whole bunch of littles. In generations past, families ALWAYS had help- whether it be from family or hired help. If you know other families with older homeschooled kids they may be willing to work for a little payment.
Some suggestions:
a housekeeper once a week
a laundry worker once or twice a week
a cook twice a week - have them cook two double size meals
a babysitter once twice a week at home, while you homeschool your school kids in another room
Or a "tutor" for your school age kids

I have 4 daughters between the ages of 11 and 18. They all work for other people on a regular basis doing these types of jobs. They get paid anywhere from 10- 50 dollars depending on the work. These are very good jobs to ask homeschooled girls to do. They can do them during school hours when most kids cant. They are usually more responsible and it is good practice for their future, too.