Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #61
Shadowwolf549's Avatar
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,964
My Mood:
Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I understand that the risks of a larger-than-average baby are not much higher with moms who keep their GD under control? I know at least 3 moms who have been diagnosed with GD, and none had larger babies than normal. In fact, all of them were perfectly average, or even lower than average.

Here is an interesting blog post by a CNM

http://birthsen.tmdhosting930.com/?t...abetes&paged=2

That is exactly why it's so important to keep your blood sugars under control. The better the control the less risks for Mom and for baby.

Advertisement

__________________
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #62
gem898's Avatar
gem898
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: US
Posts: 948
You're eating a gd diet and getting good readings, which is great, but what happens when you stop? Are you planning on following the same restrictions throughout your pregnancy? Oftentimes insulin resistance builds as your pregnancy progresses. Are you going to continue to monitor your sugar until baby is born. By not taking the test you are essentially diagnosing yourself with gd.
__________________
DD 10.25.2011
DS 02.20.2014
gem898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #63
gem898's Avatar
gem898
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: US
Posts: 948
Also, I had diet controlled gd and delivered an 8lb 9oz baby girl at 40+3.
__________________
DD 10.25.2011
DS 02.20.2014
gem898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #64
alyxmegan's Avatar
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new mexico
Posts: 1,205
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem898
You're eating a gd diet and getting good readings, which is great, but what happens when you stop? Are you planning on following the same restrictions throughout your pregnancy? Oftentimes insulin resistance builds as your pregnancy progresses. Are you going to continue to monitor your sugar until baby is born. By not taking the test you are essentially diagnosing yourself with gd.
Yes I plan on monitoring until baby is born. I am also doing weekly non-stress tests and bi-weekly ultrasounds as requested by my midwife to keep an eye on baby. By not taking the test I am allowing myself to be treated as gd. I don't mind as long as I don't have to take the test, which isn't healthy.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #65
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny SC
Posts: 13,547
My Mood:
Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

I had GD that was (barely) controlled with diet. Baby was born at 37.5 weeks and was 6 lbs 12 oz. I had a homebirth (unplanned lol)
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #66
mommabullfrog
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 135
Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I took the one hour and it made me really sick. I did some research and the syrup drink they use is really unhealthy. I know its just one more time, but its not safe IMO.
But... you had a carby dinner with ice cream. Not really much healthier than the sugar drink, am I right?

To be fair though, I think I will refuse it the next time around as well. I had to take the 3 hour test (I took the one hour and was RIGHT on the edge) and it was my worst memory from my pregnancy. I felt SOOOO sick, and my baby was doing the biggest, strongest, saddest twists and turns for hours. Not active wiggling. I think he felt sick too.

So it's hard to choose... I think in your situation, if your water birth truly is on the line, you should choose the lesser of two evils and do the test. If you refuse the test and don't get the birth you want, you will always wonder how it would have gone. And while the test was horrible, it did no real damage to me or the baby. Just horrible discomfort for an afternoon
mommabullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #67
alyxmegan's Avatar
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new mexico
Posts: 1,205
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabullfrog

But... you had a carby dinner with ice cream. Not really much healthier than the sugar drink, am I right?

To be fair though, I think I will refuse it the next time around as well. I had to take the 3 hour test (I took the one hour and was RIGHT on the edge) and it was my worst memory from my pregnancy. I felt SOOOO sick, and my baby was doing the biggest, strongest, saddest twists and turns for hours. Not active wiggling. I think he felt sick too.

So it's hard to choose... I think in your situation, if your water birth truly is on the line, you should choose the lesser of two evils and do the test. If you refuse the test and don't get the birth you want, you will always wonder how it would have gone. And while the test was horrible, it did no real damage to me or the baby. Just horrible discomfort for an afternoon
Luckily the midwife said as long as baby isn't measuring extremely large the water birth is still an option.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #68
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
Luckily the midwife said as long as baby isn't measuring extremely large the water birth is still an option.
Great

And for those that think ice cream isn't "healthy"...seriously? There are a lot of less healthy things to eat. Good ice cream can definitely be nutritious. I make my own at home, and sometimes we even eat it for breakfast! *gasp* lol. Grass-fed cream, eggs, sugar or honey...the fat content actually helps keep the blood sugar lower than say...skim milk or something like that.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #69
alyxmegan's Avatar
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new mexico
Posts: 1,205
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

Great

And for those that think ice cream isn't "healthy"...seriously? There are a lot of less healthy things to eat. Good ice cream can definitely be nutritious. I make my own at home, and sometimes we even eat it for breakfast! *gasp* lol. Grass-fed cream, eggs, sugar or honey...the fat content actually helps keep the blood sugar lower than say...skim milk or something like that.
Thank you! I was just ignoring those comments.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #70
Sarawithouth's Avatar
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris

If it made you sick isn't that a sign of GD? There isn't really anything unsafe about sugar, but there is a lot unsafe about gd if not diagnosed.
there is a lot unsafe about sugar and dyes! Sugar is linked to diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.

Do your research before spouting off stuff like that. If she has no signs of GD and her 1 hour test was fine, there is NO reason to take a 3 hour. I'm refusing both because there is no reason for me to take it. In fact, my numbers would be wacky because I don't eat sugar on a regular basis and my body would freak to consume that much in one go.
__________________
Sara wifey to Chad and momma to Lily (4/11)

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.