Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
fbtreanor's Avatar
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 565
My Mood:
Re: Name regret

I LOVE Nova! So pretty.

Advertisement

fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
Mom2Connor's Avatar
Mom2Connor
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Wait... Arie isn't pronounced 'airy?'

How is it pronounced?
R-e
__________________
Proud SAHM to Connor (8-6-10) and our little born 4-14-13
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
melilo's Avatar
melilo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 680
My Mood:
Re: Name regret

Ok, unless you know the origin and have heard the name before, I bet most English-speakers would pronounce it Air-y. Because that is how it would be pronounced if it were English (which I understand it is not). Also, there is a similar English word, aerie, which is pronounced that way. Please try not to be offended, maybe use it as an opportunity to teach about the origin of the name, or why you think it is awesome.

It's like Seamus. Two years ago I would have tried to say See-muss, now I know better.

Oh, and to the OP, I like Daphne better! But that's just me, do what's in your heart. Nova just reminds me of that PBS series.
__________________
The world would be so boring if everyone were the same...

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
RunawayBunny's Avatar
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post

Oh, and to the OP, I like Daphne better! But that's just me, do what's in your heart. Nova just reminds me of that PBS series.
That's actually why I love the name Nova!

Op, sounds like you have been given good advice. Both are great names!
__________________
Meg, Momma to Joey (Feb 2010)
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: Name regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
It's like Seamus. Two years ago I would have tried to say See-muss, now I know better.
DH and I joked about using Seamus, but then "pronouncing" it James. Or using Ian but saying John. Just to confuse people
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
rverrone11's Avatar
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo
Ok, unless you know the origin and have heard the name before, I bet most English-speakers would pronounce it Air-y. Because that is how it would be pronounced if it were English (which I understand it is not). Also, there is a similar English word, aerie, which is pronounced that way. Please try not to be offended, maybe use it as an opportunity to teach about the origin of the name, or why you think it is awesome.

It's like Seamus. Two years ago I would have tried to say See-muss, now I know better.

Oh, and to the OP, I like Daphne better! But that's just me, do what's in your heart. Nova just reminds me of that PBS series.
about Seamus.

See, I didn't even know about the PBS series because we don't have cable or satellite. But I googled it, and it looks like a good series.

I'm giving it a few more days. I'm having such a hard time calling her Nova, and so is DH. We both keep calling her DD2's name.
__________________
~Rina~
wife to John (8/5/00) mom to D (7), A (4.5), and N (2)

Last edited by rverrone11; 04-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Mom2Connor's Avatar
Mom2Connor
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo
Ok, unless you know the origin and have heard the name before, I bet most English-speakers would pronounce it Air-y. Because that is how it would be pronounced if it were English (which I understand it is not). Also, there is a similar English word, aerie, which is pronounced that way. Please try not to be offended, maybe use it as an opportunity to teach about the origin of the name, or why you think it is awesome.

It's like Seamus. Two years ago I would have tried to say See-muss, now I know better.

Oh, and to the OP, I like Daphne better! But that's just me, do what's in your heart. Nova just reminds me of that PBS series.
I just don't see how anyone would think it's airy when the r is before the i. I am a native English speaker and had never heard the name before and it would have never occurred to me to pronounce it any other way. It sounds exactly how it's spelled. Why people switch the letters around is beyond me.
__________________
Proud SAHM to Connor (8-6-10) and our little born 4-14-13
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post

about Seamus.

See, I didn't even know about the PBS series because we don't have cable or satellite. But I googled it, and it looks like a good series.

I'm giving it a few more days. I'm having such a hard time calling her Nova, and so is DH. We both keep calling her DD2's name.
Did the same thing with Alie! Usually for the first few months I end up calling them "sweet baby girl" or something anyway
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
SamanthaLove88's Avatar
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England- CT
Posts: 2,817
My Mood:
Re: Name regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I just don't see how anyone would think it's airy when the r is before the i. I am a native English speaker and had never heard the name before and it would have never occurred to me to pronounce it any other way. It sounds exactly how it's spelled. Why people switch the letters around is beyond me.
Don't worry mama, I agree. I saw it and said it right the first time. To me "Airy" would have to be Aerie, Airey, Airee, etc. Are is essentially "R" not air...add in an i and its Arie. Seems pretty simple to me!

Looked it up, proper and listed way to pronounce is:
Pronunciation: (AH ree) **
__________________
A [7]M [5]C [3]
& Homesteading Mom To Many!

Last edited by SamanthaLove88; 04-23-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add on
SamanthaLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
Mom2Connor's Avatar
Mom2Connor
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,283
Sorry I am feeling defensive ! I really had no idea people would think it was airy. I am worried I saddled him with a lifetime of frustrating name correcting. Gah
__________________
Proud SAHM to Connor (8-6-10) and our little born 4-14-13
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.