Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Name regret

I LOVE Nova! So pretty.

Advertisement

fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Wait... Arie isn't pronounced 'airy?'

How is it pronounced?
R-e
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, unless you know the origin and have heard the name before, I bet most English-speakers would pronounce it Air-y. Because that is how it would be pronounced if it were English (which I understand it is not). Also, there is a similar English word, aerie, which is pronounced that way. Please try not to be offended, maybe use it as an opportunity to teach about the origin of the name, or why you think it is awesome.

It's like Seamus. Two years ago I would have tried to say See-muss, now I know better.

Oh, and to the OP, I like Daphne better! But that's just me, do what's in your heart. Nova just reminds me of that PBS series.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post

Oh, and to the OP, I like Daphne better! But that's just me, do what's in your heart. Nova just reminds me of that PBS series.
That's actually why I love the name Nova!

Op, sounds like you have been given good advice. Both are great names!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
It's like Seamus. Two years ago I would have tried to say See-muss, now I know better.
DH and I joked about using Seamus, but then "pronouncing" it James. Or using Ian but saying John. Just to confuse people
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo
Ok, unless you know the origin and have heard the name before, I bet most English-speakers would pronounce it Air-y. Because that is how it would be pronounced if it were English (which I understand it is not). Also, there is a similar English word, aerie, which is pronounced that way. Please try not to be offended, maybe use it as an opportunity to teach about the origin of the name, or why you think it is awesome.

about Seamus.

See, I didn't even know about the PBS series because we don't have cable or satellite. But I googled it, and it looks like a good series.

I'm giving it a few more days. I'm having such a hard time calling her Nova, and so is DH. We both keep calling her DD2's name.

Last edited by rverrone11; 04-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo

I just don't see how anyone would think it's airy when the r is before the i. I am a native English speaker and had never heard the name before and it would have never occurred to me to pronounce it any other way. It sounds exactly how it's spelled. Why people switch the letters around is beyond me.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post

about Seamus.

See, I didn't even know about the PBS series because we don't have cable or satellite. But I googled it, and it looks like a good series.

I'm giving it a few more days. I'm having such a hard time calling her Nova, and so is DH. We both keep calling her DD2's name.
Did the same thing with Alie! Usually for the first few months I end up calling them "sweet baby girl" or something anyway
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I just don't see how anyone would think it's airy when the r is before the i. I am a native English speaker and had never heard the name before and it would have never occurred to me to pronounce it any other way. It sounds exactly how it's spelled. Why people switch the letters around is beyond me.
Don't worry mama, I agree. I saw it and said it right the first time. To me "Airy" would have to be Aerie, Airey, Airee, etc. Are is essentially "R" not air...add in an i and its Arie. Seems pretty simple to me!

Looked it up, proper and listed way to pronounce is:
Pronunciation: (AH ree) **

Last edited by SamanthaLove88; 04-23-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add on
SamanthaLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Sorry I am feeling defensive ! I really had no idea people would think it was airy. I am worried I saddled him with a lifetime of frustrating name correcting. Gah