Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

Re: Problems with prefolds in Germany

A little off topic but just wondering would dryer balls or wool balls help your diapers dry quicker?

Advertisement

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

It keeps the laundry from balling or clumping up into a big ball so the warm air is more evenly distributed. I would however go wool and avoid plastic as the plastic ones with spikes rip through the texture fabrics.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

And re the problem in my opinion and experience using prefolds you are lacking enough absorbancy for baby. Ideal buff it up a notch with some hemp or bamboo. Or if you need a quick cheap solution wrap microfiber inserts in a trifolded prefold laid in a cover, it cannot touch babies skin. But trifolding has a con as poop gets on the covers more.

Also rewool its super cheap on the economy you can get wool covers from disana for 12 euro new or even at your local dm market they often times carry wool covers for 10 euro.You do not need nearly as many wool as you do pul you could get by with 2-3

Also no no on the zinc oxide on your prefolds it will cause repeling. Try coconut oil its called koko's öl at the biomarkt about 6 euro a jar or if you have apo much cheaper from the us
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
taupou
Registered Users

Sorry for taking so long to reply; it has been crazy here. I hope someone is still looking!

babycat42: I do think the covers are defective. I started being more watchful and noticed they were all leaking from where the plastic label in the back is sewn in. I filed a warranty request with the company 2 weeks ago, but no word yet. I am not sure what is going on with the covers because they were from different batches, so it seems unlikely that it is a special defect but rather a flawed design. :/

Vinegar in the rinse: I only use that for the prefolds. I wash the covers along with the baby clothes at 40 degrees (with the same detergent) or by hand.

I didn't have time to go out and buy a fleece blanket, so I cut up a "molton" (cotton flannel) cloth I had here to make diaper liners-- and it helps!! Also, after three more washes, the prefolds seem a bit better. I am avoiding using the possibly defective covers; now, with the homemade liners and the other brand covers, things are going pretty well. Thank you all for your help!

One more question, though: when I look at websites for tips on washing prefolds, they all say to wash through two cycles (first cold, then hot). I have been using a normal cycle at 90 degrees with the optional pre-wash (Vorwasche) on a German machine. It would be just too expensive to do two cycles, not to mention the annoyance of fighting other students to use the machines twice. Is this ok? Are my diapers getting clean enough? They seem ok, but it is hard to be sure because there usually is a perfume residue from the other students' detergent.

Last edited by taupou; 04-23-2013 at 02:58 AM.
taupou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
taupou
Registered Users

P.S. Thanks for the tip about coconut oil! Makes sense, will pick some up.
taupou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yes I do prewash and then a normal wash. I do not do two full cycles.