Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
at what point does it get easier?

or does it?

I have 4 kids, aged 5, 3.5, 2, and 5 months. I know we want more, and soon-ish, but there are so many days when I am just overwhelmed.

so many meals, so much laundry, so much tidying of toys and books and messes.

I know that all my littles are just that... little. does it get easier? because as much as I can see my family growing, I can't imagine being stuck in THIS stage forever.

I keep joking with dh that I'm going to hire a teenager.

Advertisement

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my friends with older kiddos say it gets much easier as they get older and can help with the littles!

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: at what point does it get easier?

You are getting there keep training th little ones to help. Like our 2.5year old is able to clean up toys and help unload the dryer and sort laundry. Our 8 year old is super helpful, he started being like my right arm when he was about 6. Ours are older now but we have two with autism so i feel like we have more littles than we do but i think around 6-7 children become very able to help and get more and more helpful as they get older.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do feel like my 5yo is on the brink of being SUPER helpful.

tonight the two oldest boys set the table for me (well, the kids stuff) and my 2yo daughter LOVES to "help" me put away laundry. I'm trying so hard to train her to do it properly now while she actually wants to help

it's funny, they are so willing to help with the stuff I don't want/need them to help with, but when it comes to cleaning up toys, suddenly they just can't do it! LOL!

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When the older ones can help with chores! My oldest are 9y and almost 8 and they are responsible for the dishwasher and vacuuming. Also, they put away their own clothes, take showers on their own, and always willing to help with the baby, well...she's 14m now.
Yours are so young, they still really depend on you for everything! It will get easier, I promise!!!!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
carmanfamily64
Registered Users
seller

It certainly can get easier! However, alot depends on what you are doing now. You are at probably the most difficult stage of a large family-your "bigs" are still little Invest time in proper training now,and you will reap a lifetime of benefits! Dont lose heart on the tough days, for really they pass quickly. Soon your bigs will be bigs, and you will see a tremendous difference! For me, my bigs can cook, clean, babysit, etc and it allows me the timeI need with my littles. I feel that I have more time with my new babies now with a housefull than when I did when I just had 2. My kiddos are 16, 14, 10,9, 4, 2,and baby 7 coming this fall. I am reaping the harvest of what I sowed early on, and on the flip side, I wish I would have know early on that we would be a large family because some things I would have done differently. A couple of resources that I have found helpful are Large Family Logistics (book that details getting it all together) and aboverubies.org (a christian site that encourages wives andmothers,and is large family minded) Also, I would encourage you to seek friendships with large families with children slighly older than yours. some of the best advice I have received is from moms who have gone before me. Don't grow weary in doing good-in due time you will reap your reward
carmanfamily64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Hitchkids
Registered Users

This is a constant question from moms with mostly littles. Here is my response to this one after hearing it so often. Yes, it will get easier. You are on the heavy end of the teeter totter now. Just keep trucking. Each year gets a tad easier.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that it get easier when you have one that's 9. That said my 6 year old has started helping a lot more, and my 4 year old really wants to help. Dh or I load the dishwasher, but the kids unload after we take the knives out. ODD stacks the plates and bowels nicely, set the cups out, after dumping the water on top, and my 4 and 3 year old sort the silverware into the silverware drawer. It's small, but it helps.

ODD sets out plates at lunch and dinner and DD2 sets out the silverware. They're all responsible for their toys before nap and bed, (or toys go missing for a day or two). ODD refills empty water cups for her little sisters. In the car ODD buckles in my 4 yr old, and Dh or I double check.

There's probably lots of other little ways the kids help, that I can't think of off the top of my head, but they all add up. Also, all these helps, are things that my DD started doing because she wanted to (except the toys). Obviously, I can't wait until the kids can help with other things, like cleaning the bathroom, but we have a while to go .

Last year with a 5, 3, 2, and newborn, was hardest, but it was partly my fault. I thought dd was too young, and I caught myself stopping her from helping when she wanted to. When I let up a bit, she blossomed. *hugs* I'm sure it will get easier before you know it, and hen you'll wonder when they all grew up suddenly.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, it gets easier!
if your oldest is 5, you are at a hard stage right now. everyone is dependent on you for almost everything.

I have 5 kids- the oldest is 7 and the youngest is almost 3 weeks old. It's a bit easier for me now because the two oldest (5 and 7) are capable of a lot more, they can follow through, they don't cry about every little thing, etc. For me it's the crying, noise and choas that gets to me and that is getting less and less as the kids get older. hang in there!!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I once had 4 LOs 5 and under and it was challenging to say the least. Just having a few that are old enough to put on their own shoes and coat s like a miracle. You will get there We waited 4 years between 4 and 5 and it made all of the difference.