Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Baby!.. and help needeed/vent...

melilo, why would you not want to give/save the milk with antibiotics in it? Possible thrush at a later time (when baby gets the milk) or something else? Generally speaking, if a med is something they would give to an infant if that infant were ill, it is safe for breastfeeding (and consumption of the milk by the baby, if it were pumped), and Hale supports breastfeeding with many, many antibiotics. Seems too precious to dump it, but I admit after having a newborn myself, my brain isn't working like normal.

Back to the OP: I hope things are looking up and you are able to get close to your baby soon. <3

About the antibiotics for baby: new babies should not have fevers, and no one wants a sick neonate; whether baby has a fever because mom did, or baby genuinely has an infection or illness, antibiotics are standard as a treatment/preventative measure. And since babies can't really take antibiotics orally effectively, the option is IV antibiotics, which means a longer hospital stay.

Advertisement

Last edited by birdinhand; 04-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

Lurking (looking at all your cute babies!)

I agree with the others. You need to demand to be with your baby and if they say no they need to explain to you why you are not able to be with your baby and tell you when you can. Even if they are afriad of you passing something they can gown you up, gloves, mask the whole nine yards and still allow you to at least touch the baby.

It comes down to this. YOU ARE THE MOTHER. Unless there is a risk of serious complications for your baby there is no other reason they shouldn't be letting you begin nursing and bonding. For sure ask why you can't and if you are not satisfied with their answers demand to be taken to your baby or tell them you will request a transfer to another hospital that appreciates the special need of a newborn baby for its mother.

Hugs momma! I hope things start getting better for you.

Last edited by eilla05; 04-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
vonnief
Registered Users
seller

First of all, I want to thank EVERYONE for their responses. I read them as the day/night went on and used the very valuable advice, but couldn't respond until now. It was so helpful in my pp emotional state to have supportive and sound advice!! I know I don't post much, but you mamas are awesome!!!

Here's an update if you were curious:

It took hours, but after constant pestering I finally got a nurse to get me a pump (DH didn't want to leave me to buy a pump, and we already have one ordered and on the way). I started pumping right away, about every 2 hours. I kept all that I got.

We took what I pumped to the nursery and stated firmly that instead of the sugar water they were feeding her via syringe to use what I pumped. I understood their reasoning for why they didn't want her to nurse or bottle feed, but feeding her sugar water when there was alternatives was ridiculous. They were surprised by the idea, but did not have a problem with it and used it. So even though I wasn't able to nurse, the sugar water nonsense stopped.

Nobody knows what caused my fever and why it went so high (whether it was infection or epi/labor related), but my fever broke late last night. At that point, I felt comfortable enough being with her without worrying about what I might be transferring to her. There was about 6 hours between when my fever broke and when I got to see and hold her today.

I also started asking the NICU folks very specific questions, like why exactly I was unable to come into the nursery, antibiotic questions, ect. Turns out the demographic at this hospital usually want to sleep/rest and are not as involved with care as I am/want to be so they were blowing me off. I now know I have to state very specifically what my expectations are with each shift change and ever since I have had no problems. The antibiotics she is on are prophylactic in case what I had was an infection and it passed on to her. At this point, I'm OK with it because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I am also excited to say that I was finally able to nurse with Miss Harper mid-day today. I was worried about nursing issues since it had been a day after delivery, but thankfully she was able to successfully latch after a few false starts. Ever since, she's been a nursing champ! The LC was very surprised - it ended up being a short visit. I have even gotten to the point where the NICU nurses will call me when she wakes up to nurse!

Her respiratory issues are improving, but she did have a high bilirubin level so they put her under bili light so that they can try to keep it under control. Assuming her lab work and respiratory stats keeps getting better, they think she can be discharged by tomorrow evening!! If things head downhill however, they will be keeping her here and putting her on a 7-day course of antibiotics with additional testing to figure out exactly what's going on. If she still is having bilirubin issues by the time we are discharged, the doctors said that they would work with a local home health company where we live to get her a bili blanket or something similar.

After my failed VBAC I think I was in a low spot and I was able to build myself back up with this advice to fight for what was right for my sweet girl and me!
vonnief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wonderful update! So glad to hear things are going well and I hope you're able to take her home tomorrow!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Wonderful update! So glad to hear things are going well and I hope you're able to take her home tomorrow!
Ditto! So happy for you"
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
birdinhand
Registered Users

Yay! So happy. Your update got me teary. Mamas and babies belong together. Hoping she will be discharged tomorrow .
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #27
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The reason i said that was because baby is already getting abx... It can really mess with the gut. I know it's safe, but just my opinion.

Glad you and baby are finally able to be together!

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #28
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's a great update!
It's not surprising that she has bilirubin levels higher, with not being given anything but sugar water for that first day and a bit Keep pumping and nursing as much as she'll take, mama!!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great update! Fx for going home!!!
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in tears for you mama. This just breaks my heart!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote