Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gripe water

Totally works with DD, and almost instantly. It's magic water here at our house! I have gas drops too, but I've only used those once.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

I don't know if there's a price difference between liquid and capsule probiotics, but if there is, it's super easy to give baby the capsule powder - just open them and dab your finger or a pacifier in it, get baby to suck it off.
Probably is cause the liquid have to be refrigerated, and therefore most pharmacies don't keep them in stock or have limited. The BioGaia ones we got were like $50 a bottle. A little insane when I think of it now.

But good to know on the powder ones!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
We use gripe water for hiccups too. Instant relief

And its helped with tummy pains.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
birdinhand
Registered Users

I haven't used gripe water or gas drops for any of my babies. I worry about interferring with pristine gut, and my babies seem happy enough. If I had a real fusser or one who acted in pain, I would probably try it.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Look at the ingredients.. Not pleasant stuff in the ones I have Seen. Fructose for my 4 week old? No thanks.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Probably is cause the liquid have to be refrigerated, and therefore most pharmacies don't keep them in stock or have limited. The BioGaia ones we got were like $50 a bottle. A little insane when I think of it now.
Yikes! That's pricey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
I haven't used gripe water or gas drops for any of my babies. I worry about interferring with pristine gut, and my babies seem happy enough. If I had a real fusser or one who acted in pain, I would probably try it.
If they're happy and content, there's no need to try anything more. Like the hiccups - with DD1 she would get so angry and upset when she got the hiccups, start screaming about them and it was horrid, so we tried the gripe water and it helped her. But Piper doesn't seem bothered by her hiccups, so we aren't giving her anything for now, and won't unless she seems upset/hurt by them.
Same with gas bubbles/pain - if they aren't having troubles there's no need for anything more, but if they're in pain I'd rather give them something to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Look at the ingredients.. Not pleasant stuff in the ones I have Seen. Fructose for my 4 week old? No thanks.
I would rather give them a little something to help them feel better and not be in pain, than have them crying and screaming, upset and hurting.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny enough, after reading this thread I thought maybe I would pick up a bottle of gripe water to have around just in case - and yesterday DH brought home another gift basket for us... with a bottle in it
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Yeah, but gas drops are the only thing that prevents marathon screaming sessions of inconsolable crying until they finally squeeze out a toot, at least for my babies. So I don't have a problem with it
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Yeah, but gas drops are the only thing that prevents marathon screaming sessions of inconsolable crying until they finally squeeze out a toot, at least for my babies. So I don't have a problem with it
Yup, exactly.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

Yikes! That's pricey!

If they're happy and content, there's no need to try anything more. Like the hiccups - with DD1 she would get so angry and upset when she got the hiccups, start screaming about them and it was horrid, so we tried the gripe water and it helped her. But Piper doesn't seem bothered by her hiccups, so we aren't giving her anything for now, and won't unless she seems upset/hurt by them.
Same with gas bubbles/pain - if they aren't having troubles there's no need for anything more, but if they're in pain I'd rather give them something to help.

I would rather give them a little something to help them feel better and not be in pain, than have them crying and screaming, upset and hurting.
But are do those ingredients stop pain? Sugar water is given to babies before circumcision. Do you think it stops pain? Or is so overwhelmingly sugary they are simply distracted. Just curious.