Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Texas, Missouri, Idaho and Oklahoma mommas. Your Homeschooling experience?

I have read the laws in each state but would love some first hand knowledge of your homeschooling experience. Is there anything you are required to do by the state, city or school district that the law doesn't mention. (ie; keeping attendance, a log of materials etc.) We are expecting to be moving within the next year to one of these locations and homeschooling our dc will weigh heavily on our decision where we will go. I appreciate any insight you would be willing to give.

Thank you!!

Advertisement

Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Texas, Missouri, Idaho and Oklahoma mommas. Your Homeschooling experience?

Missouri isn't bad. No standardized tests or reporting to schools or anything. We do have to log hours. A thousand per year, six hundred of those have to be in the core subjects. They don't give you requirements as far as what you have to teach or anything. We also need to keep a few examples of work. But no one ever checks you. Many parents don't even keep their hours or anything. The only time you would need it is if you got turned, like if someone claimed you were just keeping your kids out of school or something. I'm not going to say that never happens, but I've not heard of anything like that around here. We do keep our hours and things and I don't think our requirements are unreasonable. Much better than some states.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

In Oklahoma you don't have to do anything. No letter of intent, no reporting, no testing (with one exception -- I'll explain), no logging of hours -- nothing. The one test exception that I know of is to get a driver's permit. They do require a reading test in order for a teen to get their permit. I don't know all the details about it, though, because my oldest is 7th grade and won't be getting her permit until she's at least 15.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Missouri isn't bad. No standardized tests or reporting to schools or anything. We do have to log hours. A thousand per year, six hundred of those have to be in the core subjects. They don't give you requirements as far as what you have to teach or anything. We also need to keep a few examples of work. But no one ever checks you. Many parents don't even keep their hours or anything. The only time you would need it is if you got turned, like if someone claimed you were just keeping your kids out of school or something. I'm not going to say that never happens, but I've not heard of anything like that around here. We do keep our hours and things and I don't think our requirements are unreasonable. Much better than some states.
Would keeping a calendar and just writing total hours schooled be enough or would I need to break it down by what was taught and for how long? Also, do you have to send anything to the PS? Here in Ohio we have to notify and evaluate each year (or test).

Thanks so much!
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Texas has been a piece of cake to hs in.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Texas has been a piece of cake to hs in.
I agree. You don't have to do anything to homeschool in TX. If your child is enrolled in public school you have to send a letter of intent to their current school to withdraw them or they will be considered truant. I know if you use one of the online charter schools you fall under the testing requirements but for the average homeschooling family testing does not apply.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just moved from Idaho to Texas. There is no reporting or keeping records required in either state.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfor5 View Post
Would keeping a calendar and just writing total hours schooled be enough or would I need to break it down by what was taught and for how long? Also, do you have to send anything to the PS? Here in Ohio we have to notify and evaluate each year (or test).

Thanks so much!
Keeping a calender counts. I think you would have to break it down on a basic level, just to show that you have enough core hours. So instead of putting April 24, 6hours--it would need to be more like reading 2 hours, writing 1 hour, etc. You don't have to send anything to the PS, ever. (One exception--if your kid was already enrolled in public school and you wanted to pull them out. You'd have to do a letter of intent then) You don't have to have any contact with PS at all.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all VERY much. We decided that if we are gonna move we want it to be in a very friendly homeschool state. I wanted to make sure that even though the laws state no reporting or testing that the real experiences of the families living there were supporting that! I am so excited now just to choose a state. We love them all!! Of course we haven't lived in any of them so the next step is to spend some time in each.

Again Thank you!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mo mama here-I use an excel spreadsheet for planning purposes and then at the end of the week total how many hours roughly it took to complete each subject for that week. I wasn't doing that previously (I'm organizationally challenged), but I've found that this is a pretty easy way to keep up with it all.

I've never heard of anyone having to justify their hours. When I was teaching, there was a family that the school threatened to do that to (as in call DFS), but that family was OBVIOUSLY NOT doing any teaching. The kids lived across the street from school and kept trying to sneak into the school to get lunch. They told us that they never did school work and they wanted to come back to school. The parents re-enrolled them and that was that.

Other families I've talked to have never been checked up on or have heard of anyone who has.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote