Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

Agreed. Plus I'd be weary of a Dr who induced "just incase". I left my previous group between my last baby and this one because they asked me if I wanted an elective c section at 39 weeks, and to have my tubes tied. Ugh. Nope!
Yuck.

Advertisement

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is it worth even trying?

I'd say birth is traumatic always for the baby. I mean they are going from a very small, comfy, warm, watery world into a big cold, loud, bright, etc world. I would say making a baby come before baby is fully ready and developed would not only be more traumatic, but it could leave baby in the NICU and/or long or short term complicatoins. We know there can be long term complications for babies born prior to 39 weeks which is why many hospitals and doctors no longer induce before 39 weeks and there are all sorts of studies on why you shouldn't have a baby electivelly before 39 weeks. And just because you had a second baby be more weight doesn't mean #3, #4 and so on would be bigger especially lbs bigger.

Also, purely ancedotal, but a friend of mine had her 5th homebirth to a 12 lb baby (12 lbs on the nose), she's 5 feet tall.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
leyash
Registered Users
seller

i am not trying to be rude, at all... but the question wasn't whether or not i should induce at 39 weeks, the question was how likely are the things that i am doing (rrl tea, dtd, etc) to work, if i am dilating. that was all. are they actually proven to help the body move along gradually (not looking to start labor 10 minutes later), or it is just assumed, and all stuff that doesn't really work?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
i am not trying to be rude, at all... but the question wasn't whether or not i should induce at 39 weeks, the question was how likely are the things that i am doing (rrl tea, dtd, etc) to work, if i am dilating. that was all. are they actually proven to help the body move along gradually (not looking to start labor 10 minutes later), or it is just assumed, and all stuff that doesn't really work?
I've never seen real evidence that those things work as a "natural" induction, or move things a long. RRL helps tone the uterus, that's about it, DTD can give your BH. But hormones are really what makes you dialate, efface, and brings on labor.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
From what I've learned as a doula and a birthing mama, "natural" induction methods will only help you along if your body is ready for labor to start. There are low risk things you can do, like getting a chiro adjustment (by someone trained in prenatal chiro) to give your pelvis optimal space for baby to settle into the best position to apply pressure to the cervix. Walking is good for you as exercise so it won't hurt unless you overdo it.

I would personally avoid more intense natural induction methods like castor oil or herbs, because while they WILL cause contractions, you do have the risk of your body not progressing into active labor for a few different reasons (if your body just isn't ready, if baby isn't positioned optimally to apply pressure to the cervix, if you get dehydrated or over tired).

You could ask them to strip your membranes if you're comfortable with the risks associated with that. It stimulates the release of prostaglandins which soften the cervix, but it has the small risk of introducing bacteria into the cervix or possibly breaking your water.

As a mama who has has big babies as well, I totally respect your concern. I've heard that eating lots of pineapple (like LOTS) can help soften the cervix. And if you're going to dtd to try and get things moving, make sure it's sex where you orgasm, and where the semen is able to contact and "hang out" around your cervix as long as possible. I'm happy to give more detailed tips but don't want to gross anyone out. You're welcome to pm me. ;-)

I'll be in your same shoes in Sept/Oct, anticipating a 10+ lber, so you have my thoughts and prayers with you lady. :-) ((hugs))
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Everyone is different and many people swear that such and such method helped. If you can get some contractions going by DTD, bouncing on a birth ball, or walking, that can still be helpful. I began contracting both pregnancies very early on, like 32-34 weeks, so regardless of whether they were "just Braxton Hicks" or not, they still helped because I was dilating! My labor was SO much quicker an easier, especially with DD. I was 7cm before labor truly started so I only had to truly experience a few centimeters of pain. There is no guarantee any of this will help, but to me, as long as you aren't doing castor oil or herbs, there is no harm in trying other methods. May help, may not. Even if you don't go into labor, it can still help you along for later. Might as well give it a go
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm in the camp that says nothing will 'work' unless you were about to go into labor anyways. So feel free to try all those things. If they work, then you were going to go into labor anyways. If they don't, then you weren't.

I mean, check out the April mommas. We got a momma who's been at a 7 for weeks, but not in active labor. I, on the other hand, have gone into labor spontaneously at a zero/closed with two babies. Dilation just simply doesn't tell you anything. That's why some doctors don't do checks anymore - because they're pointless and really don't mean anything.

But, I hope that your baby is able to come naturally and I hope that your baby isn't 11 lbs and cause you additional damage. Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #28
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth View Post
Please read some big baby birth stories to gain some confidence! There are 98 lb women who give vaginal birth to 12-13 lb babies. It sounds scary, but I'll say it again:

You won't grow a baby you can't birth barring a medical condition.

Episiotomies increase your chance of tearing, and its highly likely you tore last time because he came out so quickly and you didn't have perineal support.

If you induce too soon, chances are you will have a CS anyway. So yes, an early induction can and will be more traumatic for a baby who doesn't "choose" labor, so to speak.
My SIL had a "fast first baby" and tore pretty bad. She did not have an episiotomy.

I pushed for 3 hours total. They ended up giving me an episiotomy and I really don't think he could have come out without it. They let me push for a long time before they did it. He came out with old man ringlets around his head from pushing against my perineum for so long. I ended up needing PIT because after almost 3 hours my contractions dropped back down to 5 minutes apart. As much as I'd like to agree, my son couldn't have been born without help. he was 8.5lbs and came out fitting in 3m clothes. I was 5'4" and 135lbs (before PG). All the nurses say they couldn't believed I birthed naturally. They were expecting a c/s by that point. I was determined.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-25-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #29
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am only speaking from my own personal experience, but nothing helped me. My DD1 came at 38 wks on her own, me not even trying or expecting her that early, but I did walk around at a 2 starting at 36 weeks, and was a 5 at my 38 wk checkup, which is when I had her. So, I just *assumed* (lol) that my DD2 would come at least a little early. I also was a 2 at 36 wks with her, and progressed to a 5 by about 39 wks, but then I just stopped, and finally had an induction at 41+1. Those last 2-3 weeks, though, I did a ton of stuff (some trying intentionally, some just things that I had to do), and nothing hurried her along at all. I did squats, walked, DTD, went on a looong hilly walk through the park carrying my 30 lb 2yo, ate spicy foods, DH massaged my nipples, walked up and down 13 steps several times a day....like, pretty much anything you could think of. Nothing worked. She just wasn't ready. And, I'm a small person, 5'1" and 110 not pregnant, so a lot of that was really work for my body. When she was born at 41+1, she was only 7lbs 6oz, and I had been really nervous about having a huge baby, too (but I don't have a history of them like you do, and I'm not saying you shouldn't anticipate a big baby at all, I'm just saying I can relate to that fear). Plus, I don't know how your labors go, but both times for me, my babies were born very shortly after my water breaking, and I am NOT one of those people who just cheerfully shrugs and says that babies are born at home and in cars all the time....I want to be in my hospital, and I'm very thankful that I didn't cause my water to break with all the stuff I tried. My advice is honestly to just rest (as much as you can, I know that's not likely when you have other kids) and save your energy, cause you'll just exhaust yourself without accomplishing anything. ....I know those last few weeks can be so long. Hope you don't have much longer to go!!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I think unless your body is already heading that direction on its own, it's all just extra work (and mental stress) for you. I think of it like a giant glacier slowly melting and moving. I can blow a hair dryer at it right as it is breaking free and conclude that the hair dryer helped it move along. Or I can do it a week before it breaks free and conclude it didn't do anything to help.

On another note, I figure that optimal positioning is important for a smooth labor, especially if size is a concern, so I wouldn't want to do anything to override my body's response (waiting) for better positioning.