Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

your experience with cod liver oils

Some here have touted the super powers of fermented cod liver oil (green pastures). I haven't taken cod liver oil in a while b/c of a general difficulty with fish. I had managed ok years ago w/ Twinlab's emulsified orange flavored cod liver oil but did stop it b/c of difficulties (I wonder though if the glycerin content in this oil could be part of the problem). Having had difficulties with the supposedly more digestible cod liver oil (the emulsified) I really hesitate to plunk down the money for other brands. I also know that several brands of fish oil or cod liver oil capsules are completely undigestible to me.

I'm tempted to just go back to Twinlab for its kind-of-sort-of-okay properties. However, I see a lot of people emphasizing the importance of cold process and certainly company testing for mercury, et. al., and that is the provenance of more expensive and non-emulsified brands like Nordic Naturals, Carlson, the aforementioned Green Pastures, and the cheaper Garden of Life.

I've read tons of reviews and occasionally see people who find these fancy cold process brands to actually go down easier than the emulsified cod liver oil, but not a few cannot tolerate them at all. What are your experiences with the digestibility and quality per buck of these brands? TIA!

Advertisement

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: your experience with cod liver oils

LOVE Barlean's Omega Swirl omega-3 fish oil liquid. Even my kids love it. I squirt some in my plain Greek yogurt but I give it to the kids plain on a tablespoon. I've even added it to smoothies! It tastes amazingly good - like a treat (it's naturally sweetened with Xylitol).

Ingredient label says it can include salmon oil and/or cod liver oil.

http://www.barleans.com/omega_swirl.asp

I have found Vitacost.com carries it for the lowest price.
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: your experience with cod liver oils

Velouria, thanks for the response. I was slow to see it.

I think I have trouble with the glycerin and so would be seeking a more stripped down ingredient list.

Fwiw, my g.p. (who is a solid blend of MD with naturopathic knowledge) strongly urged me to take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil. She is familiar with (and rather favorable toward) the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, which pushes the expensive fermented cod liver oil. But she just feels Carlson's is the best in every way--the purest in sourcing, the most stripped-down ingredient list, the most disclosed information, the most available to outside testers, the least unpleasant tasting, etc.

I began the Carlson's this week. Due to my difficulty with digesting any fish oil (and some general pancreatic problems), I have to take it with 2 digestive enzyme pills. I tried taking it with one, and it is manageable if I am home alone. But with only one digestive enzyme pill, I was burping for hours afterward. The good part is that my burping did not taste fishy at all. In fact the oil itself does not taste fishy! It has quite a pleasant, "clean" taste. After I have finished this 16.9 oz bottle, I will probably buy a smaller bottle and take it a few times per week instead of every day, just taking a DHA pill on the off days (it is pricey, and I have to factor in the cost of enzymes as well). I hope it does a lot of good in restoring things in my body that need to be restored.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote