Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: is it worth even trying?

I never dilated with my first. Induced at 39wks for high bp.

This last pregnancy (delivered 12/12/12) at 36wks I was not dilated at all, 50% effaced, and so high that the doctor probably had his whole arm up in me (I seriously just told him he could stop checking my tonsils as I crawled up the table-it hurt!) I began inserting 1 EPO capsule a night, and taking like 4 RRL pills a day at that point.
At 37wks (exactly) I woke up with a few sporadic contractions. I sent DH a text joking about how funny it would be if I went into labor since the next day was Thanksgiving and he planned to go hunting for the weekend the day after that. A few hours later Im at Toys'R'us doing some Christmas shopping when some pretty nasty contractions hit. I started watching them and realized that they were every 3mins, lasting 45-60seconds. I already had my 37wk appointment scheduled for a few hours later, so I waited it out. By the time my appointment rolled around they were every 2mins, lasting 90seconds. They hurt. I was emotional. Etc..
My doctor checked me, 4cm! This shocked her since I was not dilated at all the previous week, and because I was just at 37wks. They hooked me up to the monitors in the office for an hour, declared me to be in labor, and sent me to the hospital. Once I got there I found out that my doctor had already ordered pit. I declined, and I declined having my water broke. They sent me to walk for an hour to see if I would progress (still at 4cm, still 50%, still too high to reach.) I jogged, walked, lunged for an hour. It made labor stop, and since I was refusing any source of induction I was sent home with the thought that I would be returning within 48hrs.
Well, 48hrs came and went. I didnt have a single good contraction all weekend. I upped the EPO to 3 capsules a night, DTD, walked A LOT, did random yoga poses, sat in a squat for hours a day, etc.

At 40 weeks I was still 4cm, 50%, and so high my OB could have done a tonsillectomy.
I opted for another induction.

The point of my very long story, if baby isnt ready, nothings going to do it. I do think there are things that help the process (RRL-my bleeding was minimal compared to my last baby. EPO-I *did* dilate!), but because she wasnt ready/wouldnt drop into position it just didnt progress as I would have hoped considering all that I did to evict her

I say, DTD, drink your RRL, use EPO, but relax.

BTW- My daughter (the newest) was nearly 2lbs heavier than my son. I so feel you on the concern that subsequent babies will be bigger. However, dont let the fear/worry interfere too much

Advertisement

mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

Babies come when they're ready...not easy to wait, though - I know!
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #33
leyash
Registered Users
seller

well, it looks like i won't need to do much. stopped EPO a couple of days ago, and drank the last of my RRL tea lastnight. went to the dr yesterday at 38+6 and i am 3cm and 70%. been having ctx since my appt. yesterday that are slowly getting stronger, but still intermittent. my system cleaned itself out this morning and i lost a HUGE chunk of plug. the lower back pain is horrendous with the ctx, but my body appears to be doing all of this on it's own. really, really hoping to avoid pitocin tomorrow morning. would be nice to walk in and be at 6-7 already. then maybe they will just break my water instead of giving me pit.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #34
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
well, it looks like i won't need to do much. stopped EPO a couple of days ago, and drank the last of my RRL tea lastnight. went to the dr yesterday at 38+6 and i am 3cm and 70%. been having ctx since my appt. yesterday that are slowly getting stronger, but still intermittent. my system cleaned itself out this morning and i lost a HUGE chunk of plug. the lower back pain is horrendous with the ctx, but my body appears to be doing all of this on it's own. really, really hoping to avoid pitocin tomorrow morning. would be nice to walk in and be at 6-7 already. then maybe they will just break my water instead of giving me pit.
I hope things go smoothly and you get a nice "normal" sized baby. ;-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
I hope things go smoothly and you get a nice "normal" sized baby. ;-)
definitely hoping for that! feeling more optimistic as it gets closer. now i am just hoping and praying that i have the strength, motivation, and drive to do this without an epi!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #36
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #37
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

definitely hoping for that! feeling more optimistic as it gets closer. now i am just hoping and praying that i have the strength, motivation, and drive to do this without an epi!
((Hugs))

Have you done one without an epi before? What are your reasons for wanting to avoid one? Do you have any support people (family/hubby/doula) to help you during labor?

I had my dd at home (second baby, first was an induction/epi/CS) and reminding myself of my reasons for wanting to avoid one helped me get through the hardest parts.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #38
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
((Hugs))

Have you done one without an epi before? What are your reasons for wanting to avoid one? Do you have any support people (family/hubby/doula) to help you during labor?

I had my dd at home (second baby, first was an induction/epi/CS) and reminding myself of my reasons for wanting to avoid one helped me get through the hardest parts.
my first was without an epi, only because my labor was one non-stop 90 minute contraction, lol. trust me, i was SCREAMING for it!

my reasons for not wanting one is because recovery is easier. it's better for the baby. and the risks scare me, lol. i'll have quite a bit of support there, my dh, mom, etc.

i just know that i can do it... it doesn't help that i have been having contractions since my dr. appt yesterday morning, though. i got no sleep lastnight and i am so tired. i don't see myself getting sleep tonight either (due to needing to be at the hospital at 5am), so i am afraid that i am going to be too tired and just give in to the pain relief. the GOOD news, is that these ctxs should be doing something, so maybe i can walk in and be at a 7 or something, lol. was at a 3 yesterday morning, and i KNOW that i have progressed since then.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #39
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

my first was without an epi, only because my labor was one non-stop 90 minute contraction, lol. trust me, i was SCREAMING for it!

my reasons for not wanting one is because recovery is easier. it's better for the baby. and the risks scare me, lol. i'll have quite a bit of support there, my dh, mom, etc.

i just know that i can do it... it doesn't help that i have been having contractions since my dr. appt yesterday morning, though. i got no sleep lastnight and i am so tired. i don't see myself getting sleep tonight either (due to needing to be at the hospital at 5am), so i am afraid that i am going to be too tired and just give in to the pain relief. the GOOD news, is that these ctxs should be doing something, so maybe i can walk in and be at a 7 or something, lol. was at a 3 yesterday morning, and i KNOW that i have progressed since then.
Could you take a melatonin or ask for some kind of sleeping aid? Not sure if it'd help or if its something you'd be comfortable with at all, but It'd be worth asking about maybe?

I look forward to hearing how it goes. :-)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just remember that you don't HAVE to consent to pit if you don't want to. I had a friend who went to the hospital in labor, got an epidural, and then was "stuck" at 9.5 cm for 8 HOURS. She refused pitocin over and over, along with every other thing they offered, like breaking her water or just pushing past the lip (UGH WHY???! That's just asking for fetal distress or a torn cervix!!). Anyway she started pushing 8 hours after they started talking pit and/or csection, and had her 9 pound baby vaginally. I really don't think that she would have been able to achieve that with pitocin; there is a much higher chance that her baby would have been distressed.