Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #71
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ***April/May Chicken Moma Chat Thread** Join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Made ya look! LOL Where the heck is everyone! Apparently doing more fun things than me with their chickens.

<--------shoveling poo, handing out treats, tirelessly turning eggs.
i finally caught the cold my kiddos had last week. ugh. so i'm tirelessly sniffling and snorting. such fun.

babies are doing great, teenage blockade seems to finally be working to keep out varmints, but i am having no luck whatsoever getting rid of my two warring roosters. the all-day crowing contests are killing me. i posted on craigslist -- which usually has pretty good activity levels around here. nothing. absolutely nothing. i have GOT to get rid of these guys. we just don't have time to butcher right now. plus i know i have three more roos in the next group down. argh. no idea how that's going to work. we shall see.
the only option i have found for rooster disposal currently?? alligator bait at a nearby wildlife preserve. seriously. that's a bit beyond my level of steel stomach!

Advertisement

IHA: lots of AIOs in small/medium sizes and VGUC, BG one-size inserts, babylegs, large BG AIOs in GUC
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #72
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
i finally caught the cold my kiddos had last week. ugh. so i'm tirelessly sniffling and snorting. such fun.

babies are doing great, teenage blockade seems to finally be working to keep out varmints, but i am having no luck whatsoever getting rid of my two warring roosters. the all-day crowing contests are killing me. i posted on craigslist -- which usually has pretty good activity levels around here. nothing. absolutely nothing. i have GOT to get rid of these guys. we just don't have time to butcher right now. plus i know i have three more roos in the next group down. argh. no idea how that's going to work. we shall see.
the only option i have found for rooster disposal currently?? alligator bait at a nearby wildlife preserve. seriously. that's a bit beyond my level of steel stomach!
So I take it your family doesn't eat chicken?

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #73
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
Lol, well my chicks are outside again and I'm now paranoid so I have been in my living room being fairly unproductive so I can see their run from the window.

My husband had to go to Idaho Falls for work today so may show up with more chicks. Lol
Did you get more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
So sorry to be mia ladies. I know it was rude. been dealing with tons here. Ray's sis is in Fl and we planned for him to go down tom after my all day dr apt. Lots of plans. MIL took work off, a pain, not she cancels. Her marriage is falling apart and they decided on divorce. Poor thing. They ttc for 3 yrs, now have a babe 1 yr, and he refuses to grow up. Bad alcoholic. Gone for days too. He decided to stay to give her boss 2 more weeks. She should be happier once she up here with family. Ray will need to fly now, which is super bad. He has severe ear issues. At least he won't be driving all night after driving me all day.

I'll try to catch up soon too. All my plants in the greenhouse needed up-sized pots all at once. Also transferred tons to the garden and planted sooooooo many seeds. I'm beyond tired.

OH, we got a truck load of cow pooooooo!!!!! Woop! Spent half the day shovelin doo!! Hehe.

My eggs in the bator aren't doin well. The air cells are so bad. I'm down to 4 chicken (and they are saddle). My ducks, I can't see development just yet, but the cells are so bad. Am I jinxed or something here lately? AHHHH! <rip hair out>

Hope you all are doin well. I'll read up soon. Prob the weekend.
Wow, that stinks. We got word earlier this week that someone back home is going thru a divorce as well. Don't want to post too many details but one of dh's cousins has fallen heavily into some pretty serious drugs. It's so sad, and not who we would have EVER suspected that of. Sarah, I SWEAR it's just those shipped eggs. My hatch is going great so far this time. I don't know if I could do shipped eggs again if I had to. I would certainly go in knowing I needed at least 3 dozen eggs if I wanted a dozen. It's sad. But even the shipped turkey eggs are doing better than the shipped chicken eggs ever have. I don't have them in a carton, air cells are fine. No saddles. All I did was carton, no turn for the first two days. I started to think it was me, or the incubator. It wasn't, so don't feel badly. It is 110% those eggs. Also, my turkey eggs weren't labeled. I'm starting to think the P.O. purposely mishandles those. I know that sounds conspirator-theory but I've heard it said that unlabeled eggs do better than labeled and so far that's held true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
School and work today, so not much time for chicken cuddles. Tomorrow is Friday so I will have new pics up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post

Sorry you're feeling yucky. Are the bigger boys crowing? I would probably wait till the younger ones are ready to butcher to do all of them at once. Make sure your ad says "for meat". Otherwise people have to assume you expect them to be a pet.

Quote:
I think she does, but butchering whether you have 2 to do, or 10.. it quickly becomes an all day event because of how time consuming setting up/cleaning up is.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #74
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
oh, we do. and we would normally butcher our own. but we've just moved, i'm twelve and a half months pregnant, and my poor DH is wayyyy overwhelmed at this point. to try and get a chicken harvest set up for just two roos (one of whom is scrawny mcnugget) definitely doesn't reward the time input. i wish, though. i hate supermarket meat.

IHA: lots of AIOs in small/medium sizes and VGUC, BG one-size inserts, babylegs, large BG AIOs in GUC
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #75
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=3lilbubs;16536336]

Sorry you're feeling yucky. Are the bigger boys crowing? I would probably wait till the younger ones are ready to butcher to do all of them at once. Make sure your ad says "for meat". Otherwise people have to assume you expect them to be a pet.
[QUOTE]

it specified for meat or basically anything but fighting. no luck. i WISH we had the room to just cage these two boys and wait, but we don't and they are driving the girls crazy. the one they injured actually died! plus they crow all stinking day long, which equals driving me nuts. everyone is run a bit ragged around here now. zonk.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #76
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I'd just take them to the wildlife preserve. At least they won't be wasted then, kwim?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #77
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Aflac is a Pekin...he's not quite 6 weeks and HUGE. They get huge fast. Let me know if you find some magic routine to keep their area clean. He's a doll, but so messy...
Horse bedding....or put them outside NOW in their own area.

The only reason we are willing to keep the ducks is because they are great egg layers.....David said me may want to get a couple female Indian Runners, but NO MORE PEKINS!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #78
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I don't know why, but all the sudden the other two chicks have become exceedingly friendly. Not that I'm complaining. It's just surprising since they used to run away, not really in fear but more of in a "I would rather you didn't pet me" sort of way but now they have been jumping up on the box I put in their run to cheep at me and will hop into my hand.

Maybe they realized I was fixing to eat them for their brattiness and start over. Perhaps my 3 year old renaming one of them "Nugget" clued them in.

Nugget recently developed the prettiest rust lacing on her neck. Pretty and friendly makes a fairly compelling case for keeping her around. I also didn't think I liked feather feet but darn those little marans made it look good. Patience had more sooner but Nugget is starting to get a lot on her little chicken toes.

I let them run around the front yard while raking rocks out of the grass and my dogs didn't bother them at all! They found an ant hill and got really excited about that. It was hilarious.

ETA: No my hubby didn't come home with chicks. Probably for the best though since Star and Nugget still come in at night to sleep in the cage I used as a brooder. I need to set up some shelter for them so they can stay outside. I think they want to now.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 04-26-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #79
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

how old are they chelsea? For me, I find that at a certain age they seem to figure out (duh) that you usually HAVE food, not want to make them your snack. LOL

Well I got a message from the lady I got hatching eggs from about the eggs I gave back. Her hen got out and tried to co-parent the other mama's new chicks instead of sitting on her eggs. They went cold and died. So sad! They were 8 days along. The worst part to me is that she fed those eggs to her pig. The hen is penned up in a different spot and is trying again but I just feel awful for those babies. *sigh* My first chick of this hatch should be here by wed., but I have a feeling it's going to be early. Got the hatcher almost done tonight, need dh to wire it up tomorrow and I'll get it running for the newbies that are coming.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 04-26-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #80
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what age is it that they figure out you aren't going to eat them (at least not immediately)? Mine still run in terror.

For those of you that keep ducks - is a trough system any better than the round feeders you use for chickens? I don't have anywhere else to put them right now. DH wanted to try to hang the round feeders, but I think that would just make a bigger mess...

Haven't had a chance to get the other ones up, but here is Ginger's latest pic (6 weeks) for those of you that like to guess gender...

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote