Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wierd compulsion

I can not stop cleaning my ear. It's to the point where its swollen and the skin is stripping off. I have posted about this before and a lot of people said I may have an infection but I don't. I have had extreme itching in my ear for the last few months any time I think of my ears. A couple nights ago I was almost in tears convinced I had something in my ear and trying to use my pinky to dig it out. DH had to stop me and I was on the verge of a panic attack. I really think its somehow pregnancy related. Does any one have any tips to help me get oasswd this obsession? It's causing me pain and a ton of anxiety.

Advertisement

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wierd compulsion

short of seeking cognitive therapy, i don't know.

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So the itchiness only happens when you think of your ears? And you're feeling a compulsion to clean it a lot? Could it be that all the cleaning is making them itch? If it is just thinking about them that makes them itch it almost sounds like it might be OCD, I have read that repeated hand washing, taking showers etc. can be a symptom.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could be allergies. Call you midwife and get the ok on an antihistamine, and you can also try crushing some garlic in olive oil, heating it up, putting it on a Q-tip and gently swabbing the inside of your ear (not far in though!)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was thinking it could be ocd. I feel like I HAVE to clean it and then I can't stop.
My doctor looked at it and besides the irritation I have caused he said it looks like nothing is wrong. So I don't think.it's allergies.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

When I was pregnant with my first I took 3 showers a day with wicked hot water (I had no idea that this wasn't a good idea). I scrubbed my skin until it was darn close to raw. I have little flare ups of compulsive tendencies every once in a while related to cleaning. Now that I'm able to recognize it for what it is I just stop and remind myself that- no its not a good idea to scrub down the whole kitchen floor with bleach.... For me, its mind over matter because its a matter of the mind. My compulsions aren't too too strong though.