Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Charlie Horses?

A good cal-mag supplement (the one I take is Now Foods Bone Strength) cured me of them entirely. Turns out charlie horses are also associated with magnesium deficiencies, but magnesium has to be taken in correct proportion to calcium in order for it to be effective. Epsom salt baths help too, but I don't have time for long soaks in the tub these days

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Reese62299
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes make lots of smoothies! Your blender should at least be able to handle leafy greens! They are so delicious and so many varieties you can make. I use almond milk or water and add frozen bananas, pineapple, flax seed, coconut oil, and a tad bit vanilla and a cup or two of spinach. Delicious. You can also mix it up of course with what ever you like. Adding chia seeds is pretty good too. For ice cream I'll do a few frozen bananas (chopped before frozen) and a tables spoon of cocoa powder and a little bit of almond milk (or water) and it looks and tastes like a frosty My blender is my most used kitchen appliance right now LOL. I also make avocado soup and even my children and husband love it.
Reese62299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese62299 View Post
Yes make lots of smoothies! Your blender should at least be able to handle leafy greens! They are so delicious and so many varieties you can make. I use almond milk or water and add frozen bananas, pineapple, flax seed, coconut oil, and a tad bit vanilla and a cup or two of spinach. Delicious. You can also mix it up of course with what ever you like. Adding chia seeds is pretty good too. For ice cream I'll do a few frozen bananas (chopped before frozen) and a tables spoon of cocoa powder and a little bit of almond milk (or water) and it looks and tastes like a frosty My blender is my most used kitchen appliance right now LOL. I also make avocado soup and even my children and husband love it.
Oh that is good that my blender should handle it. Getting clearance for supplements of ANY kind are hard. I have to get it cleared by 2-3 doctors and that takes a month or so. Food they don't complain about... well not much. I haven't told them I eat raw egg or raw milk Though one does know that I consume raw milk. I told her when I started.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Oh that is good that my blender should handle it. Getting clearance for supplements of ANY kind are hard. I have to get it cleared by 2-3 doctors and that takes a month or so. Food they don't complain about... well not much. I haven't told them I eat raw egg or raw milk Though one does know that I consume raw milk. I told her when I started.
In that case all I can say is bone broths bone broths bone broths and brazil nuts for the magnesium.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of the broths that we have in this house are bone broths. We normally have broth in a meal at least 2-4 times a week.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
All of the broths that we have in this house are bone broths. We normally have broth in a meal at least 2-4 times a week.
That's not enough when you're expecting and you're experiencing cramps that may indicate a mineral deficiency. The WAPF guidelines of use in soups/stews/sauces are for normal pregnancy, not women who are deficient.

Honestly, I'd drink at least a cup or two daily. The NOW Bone Strength supplement I mentioned earlier and the equivalent Cal-Mag sold by Dr. Ron's are actually made out of bones. I had to take a full dose (six pills) over a couple of weeks to make the cramps stop.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Reese62299
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll have to try the magnesium and calcium. I'm pretty sure chia seeds have a good amount of calcium so I'll make some chia seed pudding and will have to figure out something for magnesium. Thanks ladies!!
Reese62299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
SweetMama34
Registered Users
seller

ONE round of accupuncture cured mine! Crazy!
SweetMama34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another trick, as soon as you feel one coming on, flex your foot. If you do it quickly enough, it will stop the Charlie horse....
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Charlie horses can also be caused by dehydration. Try increasing your water intake too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote