Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ICPC and foster care?

I worked for the state doing ICPC's and the fastest I ever saw one come back from other states was 60-90 days, but could take several months depending on the state and there efficiency. but only dealt with a few states, so there may be quicker states out there- does go much quicker with a completed homestudy..

Advertisement

saraley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. Your responses are making me feel so hopeless. The state where baby is, the caseworker said to get our homestudy done first and then she would start ICPC. So, we have waited 2 months for the homestudy to get done (We did all our stuff in 10 days), and now find out she should have sent the request for ICPC at the beginning. She is not responding to me now, so I am assuming that means she has not done anything yet. I will be on the phone tomorrow for sure.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh no. how frustrating!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a foster daughter that it took our state from August til January to do our states paperwork. Just last week the receiving state did the homestudy. So we've been waiting 8 months. Once they are approved I was told that it will still be 1-3 more months to transition her.

The receiving family has not been proactive at all. So burn up the phone lines, do everything you can to find out what needs to be done and do it. Call the CW supervisor to make sure they've done their paperwork be downright annoying. Then if at all possible visit the child, send gifts, pictures,etc. Because you don't want the receiving state to question whether you really want the child. And you don't want the other state to say its in best interest of child to remain and be adopted by the foster family bc it is all she knows.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried to arrange a visit, but I cannot work it out right now (could not work out childcare for our other kids, and can't afford to fly everyone). But, I am going to send something as soon as I can. I am in contact with the foster mom, and we email frequently. I do have a friend who lives pretty close to foster mom who would like to visit for me.
I finally got a text back from the caseworker. She said 30-60 days, be patient. But, she did not respond to my question about where they are in the process. I am unsure of the balance - how much do I bug them - at what point do I become the annoying person they don't want to do anything for?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its good to keep in close contact with the foster mom!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I tried to arrange a visit, but I cannot work it out right now (could not work out childcare for our other kids, and can't afford to fly everyone). But, I am going to send something as soon as I can. I am in contact with the foster mom, and we email frequently. I do have a friend who lives pretty close to foster mom who would like to visit for me.
I finally got a text back from the caseworker. She said 30-60 days, be patient. But, she did not respond to my question about where they are in the process. I am unsure of the balance - how much do I bug them - at what point do I become the annoying person they don't want to do anything for?
I honestly think you need to continue to work out visiting. I believe 100% that Hope would already be with her family if they had visited. Without her family making reasonable effort her CW did not expedite paperwork. Once she was over 6 months with no visit the talk was whether or not it is in best interest of her. Every court hearing the report to judge my email correspondence with aunt and what effort she has made to aid in transition. It is always recorded that she has not yet made effort to visit. Eventhough the receiving state is doing paperwork now, I know that if a visit doesn't happen soon the ICPC option will be thrown out. A preadoptive family here has already been chosen incase a visit doesn't happen. She will not be moved without a transition.

Your state may be different but if it was me I would not take that chance. I myself believe siblings should be together and I have fully supported Hope going to family. I am just sharing my experience if fostering a child that will possibly ICPC.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynn1997 View Post
I honestly think you need to continue to work out visiting. I believe 100% that Hope would already be with her family if they had visited. Without her family making reasonable effort her CW did not expedite paperwork. Once she was over 6 months with no visit the talk was whether or not it is in best interest of her. Every court hearing the report to judge my email correspondence with aunt and what effort she has made to aid in transition. It is always recorded that she has not yet made effort to visit. Eventhough the receiving state is doing paperwork now, I know that if a visit doesn't happen soon the ICPC option will be thrown out. A preadoptive family here has already been chosen incase a visit doesn't happen. She will not be moved without a transition.

Your state may be different but if it was me I would not take that chance. I myself believe siblings should be together and I have fully supported Hope going to family. I am just sharing my experience if fostering a child that will possibly ICPC.
Thanks for sharing your experience. We will work out a visit at the end of May if she is not home by then. So far, it has been 2.5 months, not near 6, thankfully - I'm not sure what I would do if this dragged out past 6 months!!!
I've even tried to figure out if I could move back down there with the kids. Our house in that state has not sold yet, so we would have a place to stay, but no furniture, etc. And, we moved almost 2 years ago, so we would need a new homestudy in that state. That would take longer than ICPC, most likely, and I can't see how we could get a home study approved with no furniture.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know someone who was supposed to get their daughter's full sibling. The parents had moved to another state, but my friend started the ICPC process right away (baby was a few weeks old) and even made a couple visits despite living across the country. The case was still in RU technically and kept getting extended. Even though my friend and her husband were the plan from the beginning, it was ruled that the foster parents adopt. Heartbreaking for them because they did everything right. I do agree about visiting and being as involved as you can be.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

omg! that is heartbreaking! its so sad all the way around. like i see it from dalynns perspective as the foster family (of course her bio family doesn't exactly sound like they are a good match) but it is so sad to think that the siblings won't be together...seems like with foster care there is heartbreak somewhere no matter what happens.