Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: April Homesteading/Farming

I think today I'm going to start my seedlings. I'm super behind, but between the jersey bull calves plus all the little orphans from our beef cattle, I ended up with 11 bottle feeders in the barn.
I looked at what I spent at the grocery store this last month, and I'm trying to put a plan together to try and give myself a 1 month "homesteaders" challenge. That would be eating from the garden or freezer, making my own bread, using what is already in the cupboard, and trading with other locals for what I need. I just can't believe that for someone who doesn't buy meat, milk, eggs, and is otherwise pretty frugal I spend that much at the store. Is there a mama on here that is truly avoiding the store?
Also, I'd love to hear from you goat mamas. While I love my Jersey girls, I'm wanting to get my littlest started on weaning, and even raw cows milk makes his tummy upset. So, I think I'm wanting a goat. What do I need to know about milk goats?

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawheid View Post
Thx and no worries, i currently give away things too. I think its the best way. Like we give eggs to our neighbor when they plow us out from the snow. It's not enough in my books, but they love it.

Maybe I just need to actually change my thinking to getting more self sufficient to make our money that we have go farther.....
That's precisely why I do it, and if it grows from there, then so be it

Oh, basic muffin recipe:

1c Sugar
2c flour
1 egg
1/2 c oil,
1t baking soda
1c sour milk (to sour it, put a little vinegar in, if you put a generous splash in, it'll make them fluffier like angel cake, this is how DH prefers it)

Cream egg oil and sugar, add the rest and add whatever else you like (2c of chocolate chips are wonderful, or cinnamon and blueberries, or pine apple and coconut or my fav, just a good amount of nutmeg, gives it a sweet and spiced flavor problem is I'll eat the whole pan)
Makes a dozen or a little more (chocolate chips take up space.) I usually make a double batch, doubles well.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

that recipe sounds good and I'm not usually a muffin person.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinup View Post
I think today I'm going to start my seedlings. I'm super behind, but between the jersey bull calves plus all the little orphans from our beef cattle, I ended up with 11 bottle feeders in the barn.
I looked at what I spent at the grocery store this last month, and I'm trying to put a plan together to try and give myself a 1 month "homesteaders" challenge. That would be eating from the garden or freezer, making my own bread, using what is already in the cupboard, and trading with other locals for what I need. I just can't believe that for someone who doesn't buy meat, milk, eggs, and is otherwise pretty frugal I spend that much at the store. Is there a mama on here that is truly avoiding the store?
Also, I'd love to hear from you goat mamas. While I love my Jersey girls, I'm wanting to get my littlest started on weaning, and even raw cows milk makes his tummy upset. So, I think I'm wanting a goat. What do I need to know about milk goats?
Goats are fairly easy and I never had any issues with them escaping (I think as long as they are not bored, they're fine. We gave them plenty of space to eat underbrush and they were happy). I didn't have them for long because my ODD ended up being allergic to the goats themselves. But I miss my goats terribly. They are very smart creatures and learn quick. After just a few days of the same routeine they knew which goat got to go first and where to go. All I had to do was open the gate and Layla would run straight for the milk stand and hop up, eagerly awaiting her grain and brushing (she was pregnant so I wasn't miliking her, but still washed her bag and everything so that she was used to me handling those parts), then I did have to take her back by leash because she wanted to range and I couldn't let her do that until Cyndi had been milked or Layla would come over to steal her grain (pregnant goats are greedy with the grain). Oh and alfalfa rabit pellets are like goat crack, they LOVE them and kept trying to break into the rabit feeder, I'd use a couple as a treat or bribe if nessessary.

DH built me a milk stand following some instructions he found online, it was great because he was able to make a really tall one for me (I'm 5'9" and hate being hunched over to do just about anything chore related)

It's going to be a VERY long time before I can avoid the grocery store all together, but each year I get just a little bit closer. I'll always have to hit the co-op for grains and flours, but am hoping to one day produce all my own meat, dairy and veggies, as well as make homemade versions of mayo and other condiments (ketchup, bbq sauce etc.)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
Goats are fairly easy and I never had any issues with them escaping (I think as long as they are not bored, they're fine. We gave them plenty of space to eat underbrush and they were happy). I didn't have them for long because my ODD ended up being allergic to the goats themselves. But I miss my goats terribly. They are very smart creatures and learn quick. After just a few days of the same routeine they knew which goat got to go first and where to go. All I had to do was open the gate and Layla would run straight for the milk stand and hop up, eagerly awaiting her grain and brushing (she was pregnant so I wasn't miliking her, but still washed her bag and everything so that she was used to me handling those parts), then I did have to take her back by leash because she wanted to range and I couldn't let her do that until Cyndi had been milked or Layla would come over to steal her grain (pregnant goats are greedy with the grain). Oh and alfalfa rabit pellets are like goat crack, they LOVE them and kept trying to break into the rabit feeder, I'd use a couple as a treat or bribe if nessessary.

DH built me a milk stand following some instructions he found online, it was great because he was able to make a really tall one for me (I'm 5'9" and hate being hunched over to do just about anything chore related)

It's going to be a VERY long time before I can avoid the grocery store all together, but each year I get just a little bit closer. I'll always have to hit the co-op for grains and flours, but am hoping to one day produce all my own meat, dairy and veggies, as well as make homemade versions of mayo and other condiments (ketchup, bbq sauce etc.)
When it comes to milk, which breeds are considered best? I owned goats when I rodeoed in my younger years, but usually always wethers, and I never milked. I had a lot of Lamanchas, but I confess I'm really wanting a nubian simply because I love how they look. What are boer goats all about?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
When it comes to milk, which breeds are considered best? I owned goats when I rodeoed in my younger years, but usually always wethers, and I never milked. I had a lot of Lamanchas, but I confess I'm really wanting a nubian simply because I love how they look. What are boer goats all about?
Boers are meat goat. And I HIGHLY suggest reading Storey's guide to rasing goats before you get one, I wish I had, I would have had a better idea of what I was getting (and I had read a TON of articles on the net, Storey was the best, most comprehensive with GREAT tips on how to keep them/feed them since they love to waste hay by throwing it all around, the book had diagrams on building simple wood feeders to prevent this).

I had Nigerian dwarfs, and the one I was milking was giving me about a pint or so a day, which is not enough for this family, not even for breakfast. I would get nubians, they are considered the 'Jersey cow' of the goat world and honeastly they're not much bigger than the nigerians so I doubt they eat much more (plus, spring thru fall they do a great job of finding most of what they need clearing bramble, however rhubarb and rhodedendron will kill them, too many oak leaves will too but they seem to know to stay away from the oak as long as they have plenty else to forage on.)

I seriosuly miss my goats

And with that bombing in Mass (and the fact I watched hunger games the other day, and I found out ODD has the book set I can borrow to read) and the tension with North Korea, I just want my land cleared, gardens galore, a couple cows, a couple pigs, meat birds my laying hens and a stock of grains and become the next Maine hermit, ok so we have really close neighbors on one side and my mom is 3 miles down the road so I couldn't be a hermit but still... want to train my girls as ninjas and live off the land, yeah, I've lost it
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH has been working on the green house, hopefully will be done sometime soon.

If the yard was dry enough for my step dad's tractor not to destroy the yard, I could have my garden tilled and peas planted. I may just go and get a decent tiller that can till my 20x40 plot.

I've had some eggs from my mothers in the incubator, they should hatch any day, but I don'tt hink any of them are viable. We looked at them with a flashlight last night and you could see right thru them I'm guessing they weren't fertalized (we chose all the arucana eggs she had that day, she has 30 hens and 1 roo)

Beautiful day out today! Wiped out from a BUSY day in the ER yesterday but I'm still going to be hanging out laundry and working OUTSIDE today!

How about you?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
DH has been working on the green house, hopefully will be done sometime soon.

If the yard was dry enough for my step dad's tractor not to destroy the yard, I could have my garden tilled and peas planted. I may just go and get a decent tiller that can till my 20x40 plot.

I've had some eggs from my mothers in the incubator, they should hatch any day, but I don'tt hink any of them are viable. We looked at them with a flashlight last night and you could see right thru them I'm guessing they weren't fertalized (we chose all the arucana eggs she had that day, she has 30 hens and 1 roo)

Beautiful day out today! Wiped out from a BUSY day in the ER yesterday but I'm still going to be hanging out laundry and working OUTSIDE today!

How about you?
I've never had any luck with peas, but I remember loving to stand there and pick them apart to eat them right off the vines as a kid. What do you do in the ER?

I'm wiped out but excited about my new project......goats. I wanted one, but somehow I came home this morning with 10. I've been begging our neighbor to sell me a doe (he owns a goat dairy). I mentioned I'd be willing to take a doeling too if he couldn't sell anything currently in milk. This morning he called me to get to his place ASAP. He had a bunch of teenie little girls that took too much time for his guys to bottle feed. When you have over a 1000 you really can't slow down for 10. So lucky me, I have a whole herd. They are so cute I could almost bring them in to snuggle......but they stink to high heaven. I love goats, but they do indeed stink.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
Fitnessrae
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I've never had any luck with peas, but I remember loving to stand there and pick them apart to eat them right off the vines as a kid. What do you do in the ER?

I'm wiped out but excited about my new project......goats. I wanted one, but somehow I came home this morning with 10. I've been begging our neighbor to sell me a doe (he owns a goat dairy). I mentioned I'd be willing to take a doeling too if he couldn't sell anything currently in milk. This morning he called me to get to his place ASAP. He had a bunch of teenie little girls that took too much time for his guys to bottle feed. When you have over a 1000 you really can't slow down for 10. So lucky me, I have a whole herd. They are so cute I could almost bring them in to snuggle......but they stink to high heaven. I love goats, but they do indeed stink.

Where are the pictures of the goats ? :-). I want to see the cutenes
Fitnessrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

What breeds are they?
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote