Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
LuvGabs
Registered Users
seller

OBF Fitteds?

I am thinking of doing all OBF newborn fitteds and wondering how many layers for the soaker and diaper. I was thinking 3 for the diaper and a 4 layer soaker? Is this not enough or too much?

Advertisement

LuvGabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: OBF Fitteds?

I don't craft -yet - as I am still buying supplies again, but as a general CDer and former seamstress, can I ask why all fleece? Are you going off your current supply? The reason I ask is because I think the end result would be fairly thick, and it would be thick going through the machine as well. I only have experience with one baby but she had to be changed so frequently, I could have diapered her with a couple layers of cotton. We used bg bamboo fitteds, which are 2 layers of fleece with a mf inner I believe, and that was more than plenty.

I would suggest either a two layer diaper with a single layer fleece panel and 2 layer inserts or a two layer diaper with a 2 layer panel and only half a stash of 2 layer inserts. For quicker drying, you could just do a 2 layer diaper with a 2 layer snake style insert for an end result of 6 layers in the wet zone.

I personally would do the latter but one layer of my insert would be a jersey. When you're going through 14 diapers a day on average and you have a budget stash, you need them to dry quickly. I also prefer the option of what to put against baby's skin.

Good luck!
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't used my diapers yet, but I made fitteds with 3 layers of Hemp/bamboo fleece. One was hidden in the shell, the other 2 were backers of the 2 petal soaker. I also used cotton velour and OBV. I think my diapers will be pretty absorbent as we normally only used hemp for my DS when it was night time. He was a super soaker and it worked well to get him through the night.

You might look at the hemp/bamboo fleece if you haven't got your fabric yet. From what I understand, hemp is more absorbent then bamboo.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
coveredcaboose
Registered Users

My Mood:

Bamboo fleece makes a great diaper, I would tend to go light for newborn dipes, you will change more for messy diapers than you will for wet heavy diapers. IMO anyhow.
You can always make a few lay in soakers if you find you are needing them, otherwise you would be ok with 2 layers in the soaker and then the body of the diaper.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
LuvGabs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredcaboose
Bamboo fleece makes a great diaper, I would tend to go light for newborn dipes, you will change more for messy diapers than you will for wet heavy diapers. IMO anyhow.
You can always make a few lay in soakers if you find you are needing them, otherwise you would be ok with 2 layers in the soaker and then the body of the diaper.
Thank you, I'll most likely do that then
LuvGabs is offline   Reply With Quote