Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
OrchidMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Which Serger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris10mus View Post
I have a janome Magnolia loveee it!
[QUOTE=squirrly;16468951]The colored wheels in the first two do the same thing that the knobs do on the Janome - it's just a different way to control the tension. Of the three, I'd go for the Brother. If you have a bit more to spend, I am a big fan of Juki sergers. I have a MO-655, which is AWESOME (although probably more than you want to spend), but this is a nice one for just over $300: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the Brother serger. I want to make sure it's something I'll actually use. Plus, it has amazing reviews.

Advertisement

OrchidMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
novibean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidMama View Post
Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the Brother serger. I want to make sure it's something I'll actually use. Plus, it has amazing reviews.
Awesome

You MUST show us what you make with it when you get it

novibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
LilacMomma
Registered Users

I hope you are enjoying your new serger! My DH bought me a Janome Magnolia Serger and I love it! Use it often. Makes sewing go so much quicker.
LilacMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just purchased the Brother 1034d and I was having the same debate you were, only I was looking at refurbished machines here: http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/fact...-190_3452.html

I went with the brother because of the removable arm so I can serge small things like children's sleeves a little easier. I just finished watching the videos and I get to try it out today. So excited!!
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
rangefibers
Registered Users
seller

Not to hijack but can I ask if anyone can tell me the difference between the Brother 2340 Coverstitch and the Brother machine linked in this thread? Does the 2340 have all the features of the 1034 plus coverstitch? Or does the 1034 have features the 2340 does not? I'm looking to purchase in the next few months to make my own diapers and clothes for the kids and I really like the look of the coverstitch but don't want to have to buy a bunch of different machines, KWIM?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you look at the hem of most knit garments, they are coverstitch or a variety thereof. If you already have a machine, you can get the same look by using a twin needle and adjusting your tension. The structural seams of knits (armhole allowances, shoulders, inseams. etc) are overlock. You cannot get the same effect with a regular machine but you can get somewhat close with a sidecutter foot. There are machines that do both, and they are worth it if you sew a lot, buy the good ones bgin at a grand, I think, probably around $800 refurbished.

If you're interested in both and have the money, I saw a Janome for sale in the fsot for $575. I'd like to buy it myself but I needed a new sewing machine AND a serger so I had to pass.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote