Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
This might be helpful
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...ugar&Itemid=17

This is one part that stood out to me
There is no lowest level of blood sugar that is universally accepted as meaning the baby has low blood sugar. Because of this atmosphere of hyper-concern about low blood sugar, the level of sugar keeps being raised to absurd levels. In many hospitals now, 3.4 mmol/L (60 mg %) is now considered the lowest acceptable blood sugar. This is patently aberrant and there is no evidence to back up such a level as the lowest acceptable blood sugar concentration.

Personally I would not allow my baby to be taken away for this reason. I feel that it causes a lot more harm than it may possibly (but there is scant evidence) prevent.
That's exactly my concern. :-/ They were SO wigged out over it with my DS. I'd had a super long induction where they withheld food/water (like 36+ hours) and then a CS. I was so out of it in the recovery room that I couldn't hold him to nurse, and the he got a fever so they just whisked him away and didn't bring him back for 24 hours. It sucked. I was too groggy to understand what was going on, but too wired to fall asleep. So I laid awake all night in a confused stupor wondering where I was and why I was alone.

My dd was born vaginally home. We never tested her blood sugar but she lost an entire pound in the first few days and wasn't nursing well. I pumped like crazy til my milk came in and then bottle fed until she perked up.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When you have GD they will check your baby's blood sugar six times. Can't remember the exact but it's like I hr, 2hr, 3, 8, 12 and 24. I kinda made those up but it's frequent in the beginning and taper off. I hated it.
I tried pumping colostrum before giving birth but it didn't work for me. I think with this baby I'll just ask for formula if she needs something. Also the hospital that i birthed in woukd not have allowed a bottle brought in from home. Both my kiddos were fine; younger had borderline low sugar but evened out.
Exercise, like pp said, is really important. My fastings were creeping up until I started adding more vigorous walks/gym time.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi
When you have GD they will check your baby's blood sugar six times. Can't remember the exact but it's like I hr, 2hr, 3, 8, 12 and 24. I kinda made those up but it's frequent in the beginning and taper off. I hated it.
I tried pumping colostrum before giving birth but it didn't work for me. I think with this baby I'll just ask for formula if she needs something. Also the hospital that i birthed in woukd not have allowed a bottle brought in from home. Both my kiddos were fine; younger had borderline low sugar but evened out.
Exercise, like pp said, is really important. My fastings were creeping up until I started adding more vigorous walks/gym time.
When in the day did you do tut exercise? Does it matter when I exercise?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi
I think the frequency of testing depends on where you deliver. I had insulin dependent gd with this pregnancy. My baby was born 3 days ago and had her sugars tested at hours 2-4. They came back fine so they stopped with those.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by bumminbeachbabe; 04-24-2013 at 11:21 PM.
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: Gestational Diabetes & Neonatal Hypoglycemia

At our hospital they do BS checks at birth, 2 hours and 4 hours. If all three sugars are good, they don't monitor further unless baby becomes symptomatic.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
We're you induced with any of them?
I was induced with my last. He was posterior so that was probably why he was in the longest,lol.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Ecdyses
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe

I think the frequency of testing depends on where you deliver. I had insulin dependent gd with this pregnancy. My baby was born 3 days ago and had her sugars tested at hours 2-4. They came back fine so they stopped with those.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I had GD (fortunately responded to diet control) with DS (born vaginally at exactly 40 weeks, 6 lb 12 oz) and after the first two sugar tests came back ok, the nurse clued me in that even though hospital policy was to keep testing according to schedule, I could request to waive the later tests since the first two were fine. I'm glad I did since he cried so pitifully every time they stuck him . If she hasn't told me that they would of just kept poking him.

They tested in my room, since my hospital had a policy that all testing and baby care occur in the parents presence, and in-room where possible.
Ecdyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

When in the day did you do tut exercise? Does it matter when I exercise?
It doesn't matter, or didn't matter for me. I will either go to the gym late morning or take the kids on a walk early evening. We live on a huge hill so it's super hard for me!

I didn't know I could waive the sugar testing. Will definitely do that for this baby as I really hated all the poking. My second had a bruised foot for a week.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Marie8603
Registered Users
seller

I had GD with my second and she was born by c-section so she was on oxygen due to that but nothing for blood sugar. They tested her and as far as I remember she was fine.
Marie8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

There is a study being done and early results show that colostrum is even better that formula for raising bg levels...

You could express about a mL per day (express a drop and draw it into a needle-less syringe then repeat until you have 1+ mL) for your last month of pregnancy, then freeze and then if you have to supplement then you have ~30mL of ebm! Enough for 2-3 feeds!