Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Next Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderreruns View Post
Talk to rescue people who have seen the results after a crash. Some crashes nobody makes it, other people do, others children may have...seat safety, how it fits in your car, and proper install does make a difference. We use Britax Frontier for our older children (100 lbs and 65 inch tall - BEAST of a seat but keeps wiggley 7 years old from slouching)...the 5 point harness is safer than lap over, tall backs safer than no backs and no backs "do pass the US test" but happen to be not legal in most countries. The rescue people in my family have seen sliced children after accidents with no back seats and differences with cheap seats. I do not need a report nor do I need to see a picture the statements from over 20 yrs of service was enough for me.
I'm sorry, but this is just not true. I am a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician with over 10 years experience. For a child old enough, say around 7-8, a backless booster is a good and appropriate choice. We have absolutely no evidence that a harness is any safer for a child, provided they are mature enough to handle the booster. A harness is not UNsafe, but a booster is also safe. A highback may be safer for SOME children, as it can help remind them to stay upright. Backless boosters are perfectly safe for children old enough to use them.
All seats in the US must pass the same standards. We have no idea if a cheap seat is any less or more safe than a pricey seat. A $39 Cosco Scenera is just as a safe as a $500 Foonf, provided it's used correctly. Pricier seats will get you nice, ease of use features and may be safer if a parent/caregiver can use them better than a cheaper seat.
Feel free to believe whatever you want, but please do not tell other parents that the inexpensive seats are not safe. My children ride in both Britax seats and a $39 Cosco seat and a $100 Evenflo seat. They are completely protected in both.

For the OP, I love my Britax seats, but for a tall child, they may not last until a proper forward facing age. My daughter outgrew it around 2.5. We would prefer to see kids rear facing until as close to 4 as possible, per NHTSA recommendations. I also own a Radian R100 and find it fairly easy to use, install and clean.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
kinderreruns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just not true. I am a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician with over 10 years experience. For a child old enough, say around 7-8, a backless booster is a good and appropriate choice. We have absolutely no evidence that a harness is any safer for a child, provided they are mature enough to handle the booster. A harness is not UNsafe, but a booster is also safe. A highback may be safer for SOME children, as it can help remind them to stay upright. Backless boosters are perfectly safe for children old enough to use them.
All seats in the US must pass the same standards. We have no idea if a cheap seat is any less or more safe than a pricey seat. A $39 Cosco Scenera is just as a safe as a $500 Foonf, provided it's used correctly. Pricier seats will get you nice, ease of use features and may be safer if a parent/caregiver can use them better than a cheaper seat.
Feel free to believe whatever you want, but please do not tell other parents that the inexpensive seats are not safe. My children ride in both Britax seats and a $39 Cosco seat and a $100 Evenflo seat. They are completely protected in both.

For the OP, I love my Britax seats, but for a tall child, they may not last until a proper forward facing age. My daughter outgrew it around 2.5. We would prefer to see kids rear facing until as close to 4 as possible, per NHTSA recommendations. I also own a Radian R100 and find it fairly easy to use, install and clean.
In the US the carseats are required to pass a front impact crash only. In Europe & Canada the requirements are higher than here in the US. The US does not require side impact testing for seats to make the market. This is why the US is one of the only countries to sell backless boosters. Backless booster are the same as a seaatbelt only in a side impact crash. You are only meeting the carseat law with this booster. Many of the "better" not always "more expensive" carseat companies like Britax Recaro, etc test their seats with side impact crashes thus they have added more security to the sides of the seats as a result of these test. There are reports and documented test out there verifing the different saftey levels in car seats on the market. You do not have to be cert. car seat person to get this information. You can beleive what you want, but please stop telling parents that all car seats are the same when they are not.
kinderreruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You go ahead and believe what you want. I will continue to inform parents that any seat they select and use correctly can and will save their child's life. I am 110% confident in my information.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
You go ahead and believe what you want. I will continue to inform parents that any seat they select and use correctly can and will save their child's life. I am 110% confident in my information.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have backless boosters up here too, even with our more stringent crash testing requirements.

And since I'm randomly crashing the thread anyways - what is the difference between the maxi cosi pria and the complete air? In pics they look very similar?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
We have backless boosters up here too, even with our more stringent crash testing requirements.

And since I'm randomly crashing the thread anyways - what is the difference between the maxi cosi pria and the complete air? In pics they look very similar?
I haven't owned a CA but here is what I know...

IIRC the CA does not fit newborns well at all due to the lowest harness slot being too high, plus the Pria has the TinyFit insert and fits babies as small as 4lbs, the Pria has an inch more harness height, the CA is low profile kinda like the Radian and the Pria sits up on a base, CA has a weight limit of 50lbs FF or 65FF depending on model, Pria is 70lbs (not that a 70lbs child would ever fit in this seat unless they were ridiculously short and big), the cover materials are different and the Pria is "squishier", the Pria has a cupholder, the CA is an inch and a half narrower than the Pria, the CA has an 8 year expiration (Dec of the 8th year), and the Pria is 6 years from DOM. Overall that are very different seats although made by the same company (Dorel) so they look similar in the headwings. I hope that answers some questions.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
I haven't owned a CA but here is what I know...
Overall that are very different seats although made by the same company (Dorel) so they look similar in the headwings. I hope that answers some questions.
Thanks for the info! They do look very similar in photos, so I was wondering if it was like the AOE and then the eddie bauer version - more $$ for the exact same (not so great) seat!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

Thanks for the info! They do look very similar in photos, so I was wondering if it was like the AOE and then the eddie bauer version - more $$ for the exact same (not so great) seat!
Oh no not at all. If you could lay hands on them you could really tell. And your welcome
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
cdnewbie2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a safety 1st onboard air65 convertible rear-facing for almost 7 month 28.5 inch 23 lb son. He fits fine and has room to grow. It is a big seat but fit in my small backseat. I love it and since they came out with one that goes to 75lbs I was able to get a deal on mine and you may as well
cdnewbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
addicteddad
Registered Users

We had a recaro proride in a Mazda 5 with ds1 and ended up selling it to buy a radian xtsl.
The proride sits up high and as DS got to the 18+month mark and wanted to climb in and out by himself, the recaro was very difficult. It was also awkward for us to put him in given that our door opening was smaller than a traditional minivan.
The radian has been great all around. For use at a younger age and/or on smaller children, the proride's head wings go lower than the radian.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote