Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
photocat
Registered Users

Re: Overcooking chicken =/

You could try using chicken thighs instead of breasts, much less dry and generally have more flavour too.

Advertisement

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2grace View Post
Imake that one dish chicken recipe in the oven And its a favorite by all!

I cut up the uncooked chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and put them in the bottom of a 9x13. Sprinkle cheese on top. Then mix the stuffing with a can if cream if ckn soup and add 1/3 c milk. Bake 350 for 30 min or till ckn is done.

I know that this doesn't solve the crockpot dilemma but wanted to share!
thanks! I have 2 appointments tomorrow so I wont be home, I think I'm going to skip the crockpot and try it your way since I wont be here to 'babysit' it.

Would cream of potato be weird? I think that is the only 'cream of' soup we have hiding right now. (I can run to the store while I'm running errands in the area anyway in the morning if it'll be bad).

Stupid question - but since it is cooking in the oven and not the crockpot we drop the extra liquids? correct?

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 04-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2grace View Post
Imake that one dish chicken recipe in the oven And its a favorite by all!

I cut up the uncooked chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and put them in the bottom of a 9x13. Sprinkle cheese on top. Then mix the stuffing with a can if cream if ckn soup and add 1/3 c milk. Bake 350 for 30 min or till ckn is done.

I know that this doesn't solve the crockpot dilemma but wanted to share!
It was a fail here =( but at least it isn't overcooked

Dp is having leftover chili. The baby liked the chicken at least. I like stovetop on occasion...& cream of (usually mushroom) soup occasionally but not a big fan of them together. It's a bit too salty.

Ah well, at least I tried.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Liquid will keep it moist.
Yeah if you have a newer crockpot you need to put it on low and treat it somewhat like high and cut the cooking time. I had an older one that I loved but DS broke the lid and I can't afford to replace it right now so I h e to use my cheap new one that cooks a three lb roast on low in 4-6 hours. :/ Not bad but it takes adjusting.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
HickChick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
Modern crock pots cook at too high a temp. for most recipes. The meat will be terribly over cooked. What I have realized is that I need to cut the cooking time in half.
I agree! I cut the time down as well, or I put it on the low setting for the same time as it calls for high. Worked so far!
HickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickChick View Post

I agree! I cut the time down as well, or I put it on the low setting for the same time as it calls for high. Worked so far!
I can't believe this never occurred to me. I just thought I had a hot pot.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
Modern crock pots cook at too high a temp. for most recipes. The meat will be terribly over cooked. What I have realized is that I need to cut the cooking time in half.
Oh my gosh! I never noticed this before. Though it explains why my beans are always done hours early in the new family size crock pot I have and why they take extra time in the older small crockpot.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocat View Post
You could try using chicken thighs instead of breasts, much less dry and generally have more flavour too.
This. Thighs work, breasts don't, IME.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote