Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Amberlde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any mamas out there that wear skirts exclusively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
I wear skirts all the time... just because I feel more feminine and put together in them. We farm and sometimes it is a hazard. I'm tempted to buy some work pants just for chores. I've gotten my skirt caught on ladders, when climbing into lofts of the barn, on metal. When I ride on the side of the tractor, I have to be careful that my skirt is high enough it doesn't pose a risk with tractor tires. And it's also kind of gross because the bottom hem always gets manure on it, so I have to change skirts anyway when I come inside.
Sometimes I think pants would be nice as a layer between my work boots and my skin. The boots leave a ring around my legs. Leggings would work perfectly and they are so comfy, but they are pricey for the thinness of the material you pay for!

Anyway, my favorite skirts/dresses are knit fabric... so comfy and not bad looking! I have a few denim skirts and while I do like them, I usually go for the comfort of knits. Mine range in length from below the knee to ankle.

Oh, and I started wearing skirts exclusively a couple years ago. They felt better on my c-section incision and then I just realized that because I don't wear make-up, I look more presentable in a dress/skirt.
It is very encouraging to hear of a farm mama that wears skirts! Thank you for sharing.

I really agree with the last comment you made.. I too feel much more put together when I wear a skirt, even if my hair/makeup isn't done..

Now another question. For those who like knit skirts. Where do you get them.. I see a couple of you said Cato.. Any other place you like?

Advertisement

Amberlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
babysniffles
Registered Users

I would also like to know where to get knit skirts inexpensively. I have been on again off again wearing skirts, and I can't commit to it, because they are so uncomfortable to me. But I loooooove knit fabric, it is so comfy to me.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have worn skirts exclusively for approx 18 yrs. At first it was because my aunt did & she was such an inspiration to me, the most feminine woman I knew. Now, it is also a choice I make as a Christian woman. My 22 yr old daughter also wears them exclusively. If she hikes she wears a short dress over pants or knee length skirt over capri leggings. Some women we know wear pants for such things, but we don't feel it is right to decide to wear skirts only when it is convenient for us. If we believe it is right, there are not any excuses not to do it.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

We personally don't wear knit skirts since being clingy they are less modest, but I have noticed them in many stores geared to younger girls/teens recently as they seem to be popular for spring.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
**rachel**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad im not the only one lol

I was so against it at first. my hubby is a fundamental baptist i used to be an assembly of God gal when we met lol. His dad would be so STRICT on people who wore pants!! I thought it was extremely ridiculous to think that pants were "bad" to tell you the truth it just to piss me off really bad lol!!

it was untill two years ago that i Told God,"God if it really, really bothers you that I wear pants please let me know by healing my scalp. Let my head grow new hair pleease! and throw in a lil girl if you can" this sounds so crazy i know but three months later new hair started sprouting!! (i was suffering from severe hair loss at the time it was so bad that i was going to shave my head just so i can stop hiding my bald spots!!

Later on that month I was pregnant! i did not want to find out the sex of the baby because i wanted it to be a surprise, but caved in thx to hubby. And it was a girl!! coincidence i think not! my hair is still sprouting new hair and it is truly beautiful and my DD is such a princess i always wanted a lil girl and i finally have her, after two awesome Son's! I ditched the pants as soon as i found out i was having a lil girl haven't worn some since! *i truly believe that God is a personal God.

I like to wear the layered flow y skirts??below my knee. and pretty dresses if i can find them lol I want to loose weigh so i can fit into some denim ones! also no miny skirts obviously and some of the longer pencil skirts( i feel like they fit a bit better)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting conversation mamas! I have always been really girly. So I have always owned more skirts and dresses than pants. I grew up in church, so I always had clothes for church. It was til a few years ago I started really thinking about wearing skirts. I have talked with my husband many times about it. And he doesnt seem to mind what I choose. But he does like it when we are all dressed up, like all us girls in dresses/skirts. So it seems that half the time I wear long skirts, and the other half I wear skinny jeans. I know, I am really conflicted here. I try to be careful where I wear each one. I will admit, the skirts make me feel so beautiful, and feminine.

Another issue I have is that my oldest girls, just 10 and 11, have not been wearing long skirts. Their church clothes are shorter flowing skirts, which they wear leggings under. And at home, and to homeschool co-op they wear shorts, or skinny jeans. My girls are very trendy. I worry about making a decision and how it will affect them, and my relationship with them. We have rules in place about modesty, just not skirts exclusively. I guess I just need to seek God, and see what He desires me to do.
Hannah- married to M for 14 yrs: Mama of 7 amazing children! Ages 13yrs down to 23mos And expecting #8 January 2014!!!

Last edited by mhschool6; 05-04-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: edit
mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

What made you do it? I feel the Bible teaches that there is a difference in men's and women's apparel, pants and skirts is one place that we can easily divide the two and I also feel strongly about the teaching on modesty in the Bible, skirts are the easiest way to achieve the most modesty.

How long have you done it? Around 20 years, I started under the teaching of my parents, but know have much stronger opinions on the matter myself.

What are your favorite skirts.. Knit/ denim DENIM! Cato is the only place I find them, but they don't have small sizes often, so you have to be an 8 or larger (up to a 30, I think) to find them regularly. WalMart has plenty of cheap knit right now.

Long/mid length The shortest I go is bottom of my calf, the longest is dragging the floor. I like them to hit just at the bottom of my ankle bone though.

I do wear PJ pants in the house.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello all! so happy to have found this space on DS. I've been exclusively wearing skirts/dresses for at least 10 years. Maybe more. I prefer just below the knee so I have more freedom of movement.

I do live in a colder part of the US, so in the worst months of winter (if it is below 0 or I am playing in the snow) I'll wear snow pants or thermal pants, etc. Normally, I just wear tights under long skirts...but I have had days that I need to walk outside and it is just too brutal to wear even a long skirt with tights.

I also wear pajama pants sometimes in winter but normally prefer nightgowns.

I just had a friend tell me that I'm know far and wide as "the girl who only wears dresses" I think it is pretty unusual for the area I am in (outside of amish/mennonite communities)
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Amberlde
Registered Users
seller

I love that many of you have been doing this for years.. It is such an encouragment to me..

JasmineMama, where do you live? I am in MI

For the last week I have mostly worn my denim skirts that I sewed out of my old jeans.. They have worked wonderfully for what I have been doing, planting flowers, raking yard.

I do want to invest in some knit skirts as they are super comfy to me!

Last edited by Amberlde; 05-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Amberlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wear mostly dresses for several years now. I feel more comfy in dresses.