Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Diono Radian RXT RF Seat Belt Install

DD is currently 7 months old and I have her Chicco Keyfit 30 installed in the back center seat of our 2010 Ford F-150. There is no center latch there and borrowing is not allowed. I am able to get a perfect, solid install with her Keyfit and the seat belt. However, she will likely need to move to her Radian RXT this summer and I'm stressing about the RF seat belt install for it. I've read too many horror stories about them installing poorly, especially RF with the seat belt! Can someone reassure me? I haven't taken it out of the box yet to attempt an install.

Advertisement

Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diono Radian RXT RF Seat Belt Install

I have my DD#2 (almost 2.5 yrs old) in her RXT RFing with the seatbelt. I had to do seatbelt to get my 3-across She's currently behind the passenger which was a bit more of a pain than when she was in the middle (installation wise).

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We recently switched our Radian XTSL RF to a seatbelt install, and the only problem we've found is that DD wanted to play with the shoulder belt with her foot, leading to slack. We corrected her and it works fine now.

I am SUPER mad that I paid extra for their SuperLATCH and can't even use it anymore
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Well, every now and then the radian installs beautifully with a seatbelt. But sometimes it is difficult, and occasionally even impossible. I don't know how well it typically does in your vehicle.

But the obvious question is, why do you have a seat that you are scared to install? Can it be easily returned if you're not comfortable with installing it? I always recommend trying radians before buying, if possible, or at the very least buying from a place with easy & free returns if you don't have a chance to try before you buy. Too risky to just buy one and *hope* that you and radians like each other! There are TONS of great seats out there besides radians.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
Well, every now and then the radian installs beautifully with a seatbelt. But sometimes it is difficult, and occasionally even impossible. I don't know how well it typically does in your vehicle.

But the obvious question is, why do you have a seat that you are scared to install? Can it be easily returned if you're not comfortable with installing it? I always recommend trying radians before buying, if possible, or at the very least buying from a place with easy & free returns if you don't have a chance to try before you buy. Too risky to just buy one and *hope* that you and radians like each other! There are TONS of great seats out there besides radians.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to return it. I've been keeping it unopened in the box just in case I may have to sell it - worst case scenario. I've installed Radians rear facing using the LATCH several times and have been happy with the install. For our three across situation, we need the RXT in the middle and did not realize when we purchased that we would have to use the seatbelt .
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

We have 2 radians installed ring with seatbelts. I actually find seatbelt install with the radian one of the easiest installs. We do have to twist the belt stalk 3 times to shorten it but otherwise it goes in super easy. We get a nice tight install then lift up the back and squeeze the angle adjuster under...they are both rock solid! Try it! It may be super easy and you are worried for no reason. At least it will give you some time to practice and play...just don't remove the tags until you decide what you are going to do. But if it ends up being a pain and you don't like it then at least you will have time to look for something else. Remember, the keyfit 30 has a 30 inch standing height limit. SO she will outgrow that seat before you know it! My son outgrew it at 9 mths by the standing height limit.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
We have 2 radians installed ring with seatbelts. I actually find seatbelt install with the radian one of the easiest installs. We do have to twist the belt stalk 3 times to shorten it but otherwise it goes in super easy. We get a nice tight install then lift up the back and squeeze the angle adjuster under...they are both rock solid! Try it! It may be super easy and you are worried for no reason. At least it will give you some time to practice and play...just don't remove the tags until you decide what you are going to do. But if it ends up being a pain and you don't like it then at least you will have time to look for something else. Remember, the keyfit 30 has a 30 inch standing height limit. SO she will outgrow that seat before you know it! My son outgrew it at 9 mths by the standing height limit.
That makes me feel a little better, thank you! Do you feel like your install is sufficient without the angle adjuster? I will give it a try and update!

Also, I think I misunderstood the height limit for the Keyfit 30. I had thought it was considered outgrown once baby's head was less than 1" below the top of the shell - is that wrong? Thanks!

ETA: Oops, I see in the manual now that baby has to meet ALL of the requirements for the Keyfit, including:

- Weight between 4 and 30 pounds
- Height is less than 30 inches
- Top of head is at least 1 inch below the top of the carrier

Last edited by Stamina; 04-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina

That makes me feel a little better, thank you! Do you feel like your install is sufficient without the angle adjuster? I will give it a try and update!

Also, I think I misunderstood the height limit for the Keyfit 30. I had thought it was considered outgrown once baby's head was less than 1" below the top of the shell - is that wrong? Thanks!

ETA: Oops, I see in the manual now that baby has to meet ALL of the requirements for the Keyfit, including:

- Weight between 4 and 30 pounds
- Height is less than 30 inches
- Top of head is at least 1 inch below the top of the carrier
The install has to be good (less than one inch of movement side to side/front to back) before you out the angle adjuster under it. The angle adjuster just puts the seat at less of a recline.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, so I gave it a trial installation. On my first attempt, I'm not too happy with it . I was able to get it in extremely solid - or so I thought. Zero movement at the belt path. Then, I pushed the top of the seat to the right (pushed from the side that the shoulder belt comes out), and the seat will push over. That can't be good. I plan on top tethering to the driver's seat track, but still...that shouldn't happen, should it?

ETA: Also having problems with the flip-down console. The base of the Radian presses on it, causing it to pop out a bit.

Last edited by Stamina; 04-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina
Ok, so I gave it a trial installation. On my first attempt, I'm not too happy with it . I was able to get it in extremely solid - or so I thought. Zero movement at the belt path. Then, I pushed the top of the seat to the right (pushed from the side that the shoulder belt comes out), and the seat will push over. That can't be good. I plan on top tethering to the driver's seat track, but still...that shouldn't happen, should it?

ETA: Also having problems with the flip-down console. The base of the Radian presses on it, causing it to pop out a bit.
Do not test for movement at the top of the seat. Only side to side and front to back at the belt path. Movement at the top is normal and expected.