Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Alipop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yep - ny is the same. Against the law to refuse eye drops & vitamin k. And all 3 of my local hospitals will report you to cps if you refuse. They also told me they would report me to cps if I refused antibiotics while in labor when I tested Gbs positive. Our hospital experience was awful, really wished I would have had a homebirth.

Advertisement

Alipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Another hospital birth q - baby care

Of course you have the right to refuse any treatment. They also have the right to call CPS if you are preventing them from following the law. It comes down to whether or not that particular issue is worth fighting over to you. Everyone has to make that decision on their own.
bcb1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't refuse vitals... Refusing eye goop typically is easy - just sign the form that says you are refusing. Bath is no biggie.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
I wouldn't refuse vitals... Refusing eye goop typically is easy - just sign the form that says you are refusing. Bath is no biggie.
Again, I don't know about in different states but in TN there is no form. The healthcare provider is the one who is breaking the law by not performing the treatment, so a form is meaningless to them.
bcb1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

You'll need to check with the hospy, and what their policies are. For example, in NC (where my first was born), eye ointment is a state law - you can refuse, but then they might call CPS - it's not like they'd take your child from you, but you do open yourself up to that.

Bathing won't be a big deal (probably), but you'd need to make your wishes very clear in your birth plan, and be vocal about them to your postpartum nurse.

As for vitals - my sister was my nurse for my first birth, so she left us alone...again though, you'll need to check out what hospital policy is.