Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What does normal newborn nursing look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
My yds LIVED at the breast for weeks. I swear that is all we did. I have hypo plastic breasts though, so my storage is short, and he has always nursed frequentlyAnd he wouldn't even me me put him down to sleep. He is 18 months and still needs a nipple to fall asleep, but he is perfectly healthy.
Yeah, my DS2 needed that to fall asleep until the day he self-weaned right before his 3rd birthday...so you might have another 18 months of that!!

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
Thanks for the responses! We got his tongue tie clipped yesterday and it is much less painful now. Also, his weight was checked and he is gaining just fine. Phew!
I am glad it isn't hurting so much to nurse now. Good he is gaining weight as well. I always worried about that in the early days.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My newborn DS was born with a tongue tie. Unfortunately he also has a cleft palate that went undiagnosed for 10 days. Is your baby getting a good latch? Have you tried stripping down to the diaper and nursing skin to skin? I found that helped a ton with my DD when she was a newborn
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
If I'm holding him, he wants to nurse. It's sad cause sometimes I just want to hold him. Not that I'm opposed to nursing but if we just nursed for 45 min and you'd be happy in someone else's arms, why not just be happy in mine??

He's 3 weeks and I spend every other hour nursing during the day. I set the timer when he starts nursing, by an hour+45 minutes from the start of that timer, he's screaming to eat again. Takes about 45 min to eat. So about 45min-1hr that I'm not nursing. And in the evenings, it's cluster feeding for 3-4 hours.

My nipples hurt!!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

How many wet an dirty diapers is the baby having? At least 6-8 wet diapers and 3 quarter sized or larger stools day. How old Is the baby ? Is he back at birth weight ? Gaining well ?

The tounge tie can make your nipples sore and affect how much milk he is transferring, and cause the baby to tire at the breast before he is really done. If his out put and weight are adequate then I would say what he is doing is normal. Have you seen an ibclc ? Had a test weight done? Some times you can rent a scale from the ibclc and do a 24 hour weight checks to see how much milk he's talking In a day.

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote