Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Could you pump and give him the milk in a cup if he fills up on food and doesn't want to nurse?

Advertisement

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ped told me to decrease nursing and increase solids

I tried looking up the WHO growth chart but the only thing I found was a table. Is that what I'm looking for? Does anyone have a direct link to the WHO growth chart. I was reading on kellymom.com that bf babies gain weight more slowly between 3-12 months than ff babies. It didn't say anything about 15 months.

Thanks for sharing w/ me that your babies didn't necessarily want to eat certain foods either. DS ate swiss cheese today I'll keep trying to introduce new foods. Like I mentioned earlier, I only started introducing dairy recently since he had problems with it before. So far he seems to be tolerating dairy o.k.

I don't think the ped was necessarily trying to criticize breastfeeding. The med student did say that babies who drink too much whole milk also have problems with weight gain. I just don't thin they realize that DS probably only gets around 24 ounces of breast milk a day. He certainly doesn't get 8 ounces in one sitting! Not that I can measure or anything but I always felt like I was barely providing enough for him because I've had supply issues. Also, I do pump so that he can have breastmilk in a sippy cup (especially when DH or babysitter are taking care of him). He will drink from a sippy cup. He also will only drink about 4 ounces from a sippy cup at one sitting. I'll try giving solids before nursing. I tried that today and he seemed to eat a little more but then he fussed that he was done with solids and wanted to nurse! LOL. There's no way we are going to do the three times a day nursing. He'd go balistic!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Follow your instinct mamma, I just posted in a similar thread, my YDS just turned 2. He wouldn't even touch purée/solid food up until 2mo ago. I took a more relaxed approach and just offered him things and let him nurse when he wanted.

I wouldn't worry about the change in his growth pattern. If everything else is great keep up the good work!!!

Also I mean as far as the med student I would be put off by it and it honestly doesn't make sense to me, plus WM and breast milk are comparing apples to oranges, I'd just smile and nod!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You can always try adding in additional snacks and increase nursing if possible. Also make sure his drinks have calories in it.

Honestly though if your little one appears active and healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry as much about his weight. Some people are slimmer than others of the same height. Not all of us will be the same weight to height percentage.

If you are concerned because your son is showing signs of issues besides his weight then I would be more active in not just getting his weight up but also figure out just what the problem is.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
mamaspice
Registered Users

I don't understand it. Compare the calories and nutrition of breastmilk or even whole cow's milk with some steamed carrots or rice cereal. It is so calorie and nutrient dense. How could too much milk be preventing weight gain? Is baby dropping pounds or just going lower on the chart?

I'm in the "trust baby and mama's instincts" camp on this one. I'd offer as much milk, and as much solid food as he wants. Don't offer solids right after nursing as he will be full, but maybe in between feedings would be good and not drop your supply.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
birdinhand
Registered Users

Doctors don't get a lot of information on breastfeeding, as evidenced by that student. I agree about folowing your instincts. And someone has to be 50% on a growth chart -- someone has to be at 100, and someone has to be at 5 -- that is what makes a chart. Kids don't consistantly stay at the same percentage. What is more important is that your child is meeting milestones, has energy, and is thriving.

Another resource you might want to read is a book called, "My Child Won't Eat," which talks about extended nursing when toddlers don't want to eat a lot of solids.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
I don't understand it. Compare the calories and nutrition of breastmilk or even whole cow's milk with some steamed carrots or rice cereal. It is so calorie and nutrient dense. How could too much milk be preventing weight gain? Is baby dropping pounds or just going lower on the chart?
Not dropping any weight. Just going lower on the chart. He has plenty of energy and seems to be thriving. DH is tall and thin so I'm beginning to wonder if this is more genetics than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Doctors don't get a lot of information on breastfeeding, as evidenced by that student. I agree about folowing your instincts. And someone has to be 50% on a growth chart -- someone has to be at 100, and someone has to be at 5 -- that is what makes a chart. Kids don't consistantly stay at the same percentage. What is more important is that your child is meeting milestones, has energy, and is thriving.

Another resource you might want to read is a book called, "My Child Won't Eat," which talks about extended nursing when toddlers don't want to eat a lot of solids.
Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll check it out!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

My pedi told me the same exact thing at my daughters 9month checkup. Told me to start feeeding solids first, then nurse (i was doing the opposite). My dd had lost 6oz between months 8 and 9, so maybe that was her motivation?

Anyway, i just ignored it. My dd loves to nurse and i know that my bm is nutritionally complete for her to survive, solids are just bonuses (tho we all eat suuuper healthy). Tho the weightloss does have me worried, im just going to keep on keeping on. If she is still losing by her 12month appt next month, i will change it up. But she is active and happy.
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
StarGazerLily00
Registered Users

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...W_rev90910.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...4LW_100611.pdf

Here are the growth grids so you can keep track on your own. He is not underweight. I would keep bfing as you are and offer meals so he can eat as much or as little as he wants. You probably don't need to give any other milk since he is bfing so often.
StarGazerLily00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say do what you want to do. My son was 23 pounds at 5.5 months old (way OFF the chart!), and now at 13 months he's..25 pounds...so perfectly average. He is very healthy and eats everything, and nurses. I was concerned that the doctor would be worried about his lack of weight gain over the past 6 months, but she didn't say anything about it. Sometimes kids just even out. Weight is just one measurement relating to health; and most solids aren't as nutritionally dense as breastmilk.