Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Auntie's milk for my preemie niece?

I've offered milk to at least 3 personal friends who have supplemented their babies, and none of them have taken me up on it One of them is a nurse and had a planned c-section, then was told that her baby had jaundice because of blood incompatibility, despite the fact that this is a very rare form of jaundice and unlikely given the planned csection. Anyway, it makes me sad that she doesn't see the value in breastmilk even given that she is a medical professional, and given the disadvantage of cesarean birth to the intestinal environment + the early formula supplementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
I am so glad your doing this so nice of you!! And I a happy she is accepting your liquid gold!!

My SIL said no to mine & gave her baby formula instead. I felt so rejected lol

Oh well. Last time I saw her she told me that her dd has been on 8 different rounds of antibiotics in her short 5 month life for various reasons.

Dd has only been sick once (knock in wood) & didn't require antibiotics and she is 8 months.

Can't help but wonder if she would have gotten that sick had she had some liquid gold.

Hugs mama so very generous of you!!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I've offered milk to at least 3 personal friends who have supplemented their babies, and none of them have taken me up on it One of them is a nurse and had a planned c-section, then was told that her baby had jaundice because of blood incompatibility, despite the fact that this is a very rare form of jaundice and unlikely given the planned csection. Anyway, it makes me sad that she doesn't see the value in breastmilk even given that she is a medical professional, and given the disadvantage of cesarean birth to the intestinal environment + the early formula supplementation.
I am a nurse. I have nursed all my children well past 12 months. I never used formula OR bottles. It was all straight from the tap.

Then, I had my last ds who was born at 30 weeks. I could not pump over 1oz combined no matter what. I had a terrible uterine infection and lost a lot of blood from a vessel that would not stop bleeding. He was supplemented from the start. I did pump for 6 weeks but finally stopped. I am not comfortable giving my son anyone else's milk so we use formula. It is a very personal decision.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
ottomamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Auntie's milk for my preemie niece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
It's great of you to offer, whether or not they chose to accept. It is a very personal choice. But it's a blessing just to be able to make that choice! I have IGT and can barely produce anything at all. I used formula because that's what I had. Though I found out later that a friend would have been willing to share some of her milk if I had asked, but she felt weird offering, like she might offend me. I felt like I couldn't ask because it's such a big thing to ask for! It was a learning experience for both of us anyway. This time around, I haven't been afraid to ask. I have 2 friends who are going to donate to me, another who wants to if she has enough supply. Part of this is because I have more mom friends now that I've been a mom for 4 years, part of it is knowing ahead of time that I have a problem, but a big part is getting over the awkwardness and just asking! I also know this time that due to previa, my baby has to come early so I'm extra thankful for the donated milk. My daughter did awesome on formula, but she came a week past due, almost 9 pounds, strong and robust. I'm glad my little guy will have the extra breastmilk since he'll be at least a month earlier!
ottomamma is offline   Reply With Quote