Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Germany question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2macht4 View Post
Kindergarten is not required but I would recommend it if you plan to later enroll them in German school, it will be much easier and he will adapt much quicker to german versus being tossed in and behind the class and potentially being held back due to the language barrier.

Kindergarten prices vary and also depend on family size in the public sphere, we with 2 kids pay 83 a month per child. I think its 106 for just one child where we are. That is without food, you have to take them home for lunch, with food and no lunch break at home
is like 100 euro more.
This is so odd to me. So they get like a 1 hour lunch break or something? And still get home at 1 pm? They must start early in the morning.

If we found out we were going, I would be getting Little Pim, and whatever else I could find that was in German for him to learn ASAP. My understanding is international relocations take a couple months to organize. So DH could be working state side or go straight there, and I would be in charge of getting things organized for the move. Nothing I haven't done before. Just we have a larger scale now. I would need him around to get passports for the newbie. You can't get a passport in this country (don't know if you have dealt with this) without both parents present at the request. Stinks but that is the way it is. DS already has a passport that will expire next year so I think he would be good.

It sounds like the cost of Kindergarden is reasonable. Can I just say though, that it is funny that "kindergarden" a (at least partial) german word isn't free. You would think they would be proud of the fact that the English adopted their word!

Oh and it would be fun to go have a blast at Ikea. I don't think we would bring our cars either. Good thing DS likes british Top Gear so I would know what cars to look at over there.

Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Thats only in kindergarden. In grade school I do not believe they have a lunch they eat when they get home traditionally.

I dont have the kindergarten schedule but here its full day till 4 pm with a 2 hour break mid day. You can choose to not bring your kid back and just do mornings or you can pay a bunch more and have the kids stay through the full day and options to add on prepared foods provided by the school. For us with 2 kids whole day with lunch is like 280 euro so substantially more vs 83 euro when I feed him myself. I plan to only do half days anyway.

You will often hear about germany being child unfriendly and what is often referenced is that germany is not designed for woeking moms. Companies do not want moms many times, germany social system has great benefits for moms but not all companies want to incur those costs or implications. In addition to that moms miss more work they say and you have the problem with school being half days. I suppose in major cities you may find after school programs but not so much in villages and small town. Something like only 40% of women will return to work full time after having multiple kids.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

that said there are many awesome benifits for moms I am happy to tell you about if you guys look at moving here including kindergeld, elterngeld/elternzeit ect
Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all of your help!

I think the recruiter just submitted his stuff to the company yesterday or maybe today. I am unsure. I did look up the company and I think we would be neighbors. It was in SW Germany. My DH thinks it may be the same town that his father was stationed in when DH was 6m to 3 years. So it would be full circle for him. We will have to see.

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 05-03-2013 at 06:38 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 05-03-2013 at 06:38 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
harmonsmom
Registered Users
seller

Jumping in here because we may be in this same situation in the next few years. We are actually in Germany right now. We were supposed to come for 3 weeks while my husband worked on a project, but we are on week 7 right now! We are in Southwest Germany, so I am curious where you are at 2+2? Feel free to private message if that is better/easier! We have a 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old and are in the Esslingen Area.

Last edited by harmonsmom; 05-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.
harmonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote