Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
co-ops, yay nay?

So I went to visit with out local co-op today. They don't have any classes for PS, just start at k and have k-3 in one group. They have about 10 kids in the k-3. She said my son could take the constructive play, music and maybe gym. In the constructive play I think they all do the same activities at the same time, everyone do puzzles, everyone build, ect. I told her I am afraid my son could be a distraction because he isn't that focused yet. So I am not sure if co-op is worth it at this age. It isn't expensive, 40$ for 3 sessions.

I am going to look into a second, bigger co-op but it is an hour away. We live 20-30 minutes from most things so it isn't a big deal to drive that far once a week for a few months or so.

So my question is, is it worth it? We do have a decent library program once a week, but we don't go bc DS1 wont sit and it doesn't appear that parents are allowed to help.

Advertisement

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: co-ops, yay nay?

I think co-ops can be awesome for older children. Your boys seem pretty young though so I would wait a couple more years.
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my kids are young still....my oldest is 7 and just finishing up 1st grade....so, he is "getting" a bit "older" sort of....LOL.

I have not joined any because my kids are kids and I have a lot of them. So, it would be hard for me to make sure all of them are perfectly behaved all the time and if they don't have something for my youngers (ages 5, 5, 3, 3 and 6 months...two sets of twins), I definitely can join.

I might do it when some of my youngers get older.

I don't feel we are missing out on anything.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think they are great, but i would not do it at that age. DD will be K in the fall, and i'm not really considering it till at least 1st grade.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also wanted to add we were part of several co-ops last year and ended up dropping out of all of them. There were too many mixed ages/they seemed unorganized/not a good fit for us.

We are joining a brand new (to us) co-op this fall and we are very excited about it. It seems like a MUCH better fit and all of the kids are broken up into different age groups. It is laid back but it seems really organized. My kids will be older when we start- ds will be 7.5yrs old and dd will be 4yrs10m.
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

I think coops are as good as the organizers. Some are great and will be a great fit, others won't. I also think it depends on the focus of the group at large. We tried one which did (and still does) really good things. However, the parent participation was a huge commitment for me as a working parent and what my kids really wanted was a social hour not a class. Five hours each Monday got to be long for us and felt more like "school.". We did it for a year and that was enough. We started participating in our local park day and that's been wonderfull.

I'm not against coops as great things do happen. The one local to us, however, wasn't what we were looking for.
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
FL Mama
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We love our co-op!! I've only been homeschooling for about 3mos (and only one child so far), but I was lucky enough to find a great co-op through an acquaintance. They take kids birth(nursery - which will come in handy for me come this fall) through 12th, it's well organized, everybody is really friendly, and one parent has to volunteer while kids are there (for the elementary kids). If you can find a good one, go for it!
FL Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are in a small co-op (five families, all from our church, our kids all know each other pretty well). It has been a great fit for us, because all of the moms are friends, and we each teach one class. We keep it free, and it is all extra stuff - music/art, sign language, creative movement, creation science, and a chapel at the beginning. We go on Friday mornings, and our church lets us use a room. I like it bc we don't have to use the same basic curriculum. There are other co-ops around here that are kind of like hybrids...your kid(s) go 2-3 times a week, and are home the rest of the week. I don't see us being that kind of co-op people. I like to do my own thing, take off when we want to, and just be more laid back about it all.

So, to answer the op...we pick and choose what fits us.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Co-ops are AWESOME for older kids and when you find the right one. What you're describing wouldn't be the right one for my family. We are a part of a co-op here that is 30 min from me. The kids have classes all morning and they are academic which means I am getting some help from other more seasoned and experienced moms. My kids are also meeting friends and being held accountable a bit by another mom or two. Another plus for me. And ours has a preK class that my youngest loves. HTH!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like them. They are fun. We do them when they fit into our schedule. Best for older kids or when you have all ages.