Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need tips for weaning

I'm pretty sure I am ready to wean my 18 month old. I have her down to morning and night. It's been about 9 days since she nursed before nap. I am changing to a med that is a little more risky, but my dr feels like it would be fine to nurse since she isn't getting that much milk. How do I gently do this? What feeding would you cut first? Night or morning? Thanks

Advertisement

MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need tips for weaning

Bumping this, I need some help too. I have a 22 month lo, that I am totally done nursing.
She nurses twice a day. before nap and before bed. I am trying to just let her nurse less and less. Slowly working. If I were to cut out one of the nursings which one would be best?
Sorry OP, I am not meaning to hijack your thread. Hopefully someone can help us both

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone???
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if you consider this gentle, but I'll throw it out there since you're not getting any other answers. I had to rub lemon juice on my nipples to wean my dd1...it might sound terrible but I did it b/c she would scream to nurse and bite and hit me...so I got desperate and wanted something that would work fast. The idea behind it is that it is the child's decision to stop nursing, you aren't telling them "no."
Good luck, though. For us it was no longer pleasant to nurse, which is why I had to end it. She was 17 months old at the time, and was quite the strong-willed little girl.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would run your kiddos ragged. Get them outside playing. If you have friends with young kids invite them over to pay with your kids. Make them so tired they go to sleep without even thinking of nursing. Also if at all possible have Daddy put them to bed. Seeing you at a regular nursng time will only remind them of old habits. It will likely take a week or two of doing this but it is a relatively cry free way of weaning.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I went back to school at night and DH started putting DS2 to bed so he had no choice. He didn't fight DH about it, but when I would put him down, he would pull at my shirt and whine and I would tell him no. I would cut out the mornings first. That worked the best for us.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would agree with cutting morning first. You are probably happier and more energetic then so it is easier to deal with than nighttime tired/crankiness.

I would just get up and start activities right away. Offer a glass of milk/juice/water and some toys or whatever your LO is most distracted by.

I agree with having DH handle bedtime for awhile until your LO can fall asleep without nursing. I'm bad at being a meanie, so I walk my 22 month old to sleep now many days, but he is getting better at laying down and not nursing to sleep. (We still nurse ~ once a day overnight b/c he is horrible to get back to sleep without nursing.)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you all for your input! Yesterday I only nursed in the pm, this morning she really wanted it so I let her have it for a little bit. This is so hard but I can't remember if I stated before that I am on a new medication, and she only gets a tiny bit through the little milk she already has, but if I could at least keep it to once a day I would feel better. Thank you all!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Probably 15

^^^Looks like a little one got my phone and auto correct helped make a real word hahaha!!

Last edited by MamaZnR; 05-06-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Ktanner
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would wean morning first. With that said (if u are willing) I wouldn't rush the weaning. My daughter weaned herself at 2. Absolutely no fighting. She was ready and so was I! But it was peaceful. The night feeding was her last to go. Good luck mamas!
Ktanner is offline   Reply With Quote