Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
mel281
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry I just need to vent-UPDATE at bottom

My son is 5 years and 9 months old and in kindergarten. For the last month it seems, his daily slightly wet underwear has turned into multiple times per day of wet pants and "I can smell you from a block away." I went into the van tonight to get something an hour after we got home and the van reeked like pee from his car seat. The picnic table had a damp spot on it on his seat after supper. I have made him some water proof trainers and this is all happening through them.

I had him checked when it first started for a UTI and there was none. We are seeing the doctor tomorrow because I just don't know what else to do. What kindergartner has accidents like this every. single. day? And doesn't care enough to change when it happens? Doesn't mind smelling like pee and sitting in it? Pretends like he never has to go?

I am so frustrated right now I could scream (and I've already cried over this tonight). I just don't know what to do. I've set timers, but that is hard to be consistent on when he is in school or we are out doing things, which is often.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Advertisement

Last edited by mel281; 05-07-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: update
mel281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm extra aware bc of my ds but have u checked his blood sugar?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
While he's with you have him on a pee schedule. Have him go every hour. That might regulate him a bit better and get him to stop having accidents so when he does it feels abnormal as opposed to normal.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
mel281
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just need to vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasK View Post
I'm extra aware bc of my ds but have u checked his blood sugar?
I *think* so. When I made the appointment for his urinalysis last month, they were supposed to be checking for sugar in his urine as well as UTI. When I called to get the results, she just told me it was "all normal." She didn't specify or confirm that his urine was clean of sugar. If he was diabetic, would the urine analysis show that or do you think it would have to be a blood test?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I often would hold my pee until I couldn't and then just let a little bit at a time come out into my pants. Looking back I had a lot of stress and turmoil in my life at the time and I think it was a control thing. I had a horrible teacher who would make fun of me in class for it . I was fine in 3rd grade then in 4th grade I had a strict teacher that was scary to me and often wouldn't let kids go to the bathroom. I had to go really bad one day but was scared to ask her and pee'd me pants right in the middle of class. It was so embarrassing! I don't know if this helps at all but for me it was psychological not physical.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
mikerenea55
Registered Users
seller

Is he super shy at all? I never had a problem at home when it was just my immediate family, but if people were over, at school or when we were out and other people were around us I was extremely embarrassed to speak up and say I have to use the restroom. Which would result in me peeing my pants. It lasted until the end of summer going into first grade. I hope you get some answers tomorrow at the doc!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
U could just pick up a cheap blood sugar test kit at the store for less than ten bucks and it will have enough strips to test him. My son was dxd at five. I'm sure ur son doesn't have diabetes but peeing was my sons only symptom, so it's nice to have that ruled out.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
mel281
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just need to vent -UPDATE

So I took DS to the doctor today. Turns out he has "functional constipation" which causes him to pee his pants. This means that he is pooping regularly, but not really completely and things build up over time. His colon is full of stool, which causes pressure on his bladder. The bladder just knows it feels pressure all of the time and can't distinguish between it being full and needing to pee or pressed upon from within. He said that most of the times when kids go from being continent to incontinent, this is the case. And only about 10% of the time is the child having actual constipation symptoms.

Anyway, thanks for the support ladies! Glad to know it is something we can work with.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Raven.Peach
Registered Users

Re: I just need to vent-UPDATE at bottom

This is the only post that comes up for functional constipation, and I am so curious what you did about it!!! My daughter is 11 months and holds her poop in until it is rock hard and painful to pass. Prune juice helps but she still holds back. Her nurse practitioner says it is more psychological than diet related. She wants us to do a week of glycerin suppositories, which we started three days ago. She hates them. We have taken her to an applied kinesiologist to test for food sensitivities and she is "free and clear," thriving and healthy, but haaaaaates pooping!! I try to make it a positive experience; we read her favorite book so she relaxes, wave bye bye down the toilet, lots of encouragement, no real improvement. Today was especially rough and after a liquid suppository, she only let two tiny clods go! Her NP says for the amount she eats, she should be pooping two to three times a day. She wakes up just about every hour and after another heartbreaking scream fest, I'm at my wit's end! If you have any advice for this condition, I am desperate for some/will try anything!

Last edited by Raven.Peach; 08-15-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Raven.Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
kimmyj
Registered Users

Re: I just need to vent-UPDATE at bottom

I don't have personal experience with this but a friend who I talk to often about potty training has a daughter with this problem.

Is your daughter full EC or does she wear diapers as well?

My friend was told to put her daughter (3 years) back in diapers (she had begun potty training at 2 years old and had been having pooping problems) and her daughter was put on miralax every day for three months. Her condition had actually done reparable damage to her muscles down there and she was instructed not to begin potty training for an additional 3 months (so six months total back in diapers, 3 on miralax and 3 without) to give her muscles time to heal.

It worked! Today she is free and clear and fully potty trained with no pooping issues! If you have any questions let me know, I am happy to get some more insight.