Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
WWYD? Vax record question

Ok, of course I have to put the usual disclaimer that I don't want a debate about vaxing or not. DJ is 3 and was vaxed "on schedule" up to a year but hasn't had anything since then. At some point his ped recommended Hep A but said it wasn't mandatory and I said no. When James was born, I started doing a lot of research and decided to delay his vaxes if we do them at all. He's 13 months and so far has had nothing. At his last well-baby checkup, the nurse freaked out and wanted to give him a bunch of shots that day (even tried to trick me into signing the consent) but I refused and the doc backed me up and said that because of his health problems it was better to wait. He's due for his 1 year checkup now but I haven't taken him yet and still don't want him to get any vaxes (I also don't want DJ getting any more at this point).

So here's the thing. I'm in GA and they allow a religious exemption. I've seen a letter online requesting the exemption not endorsed by a church (just stating that we were created in God's image and I don't believe we should mess with that basically). DJ just started Montessori school and he has to have his shot record to go to school. Hopefully, James will be starting there in the spring. I talked to the school and they said they are bound by the same rules as the county and they allow the same exemptions. But I got an e-mail from the administrator today saying that they need DJ's record for an upcoming audit. As far as I know, DJ's technically up to date on his (although I called the doc just now and they said that the state directory shows that he hasn't had MMR or his 4th DTaP..she said she's going to pull his chart because he should have had those already). Anyway, should I go ahead and send the shot record for DJ to the school and then just do the exemption letter when the issue comes up with James? Or do I send the exemption letter for DJ so they can keep it on file since he won't be getting his boosters? I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to talk to the doc about this and I did already mention it to the school so I don't know why I'm so nervous about it now. What do you think?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD? Vax record question

HepA is now required for some states I think, so he may "have" to get that shot or get an exemption for it.

If they'll accept it, then I'd just go ahead and get the exemption that way it's all done and taken care of, kwim?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone have any experience with getting a religious exemption? Most of the info I've found online is pretty iffy. I don't really think it will be a problem but you never know...

I guess the thing that worries me is claiming a religious exemption after DJ was already vaxed. Beliefs change, right? Actually, if I'd known then what I know now...

Do Muslims vax? What about Mormons? I know they're very careful about what they put in their bodies so I just wondered. This school is owned/run by a Mormon couple and several of the teachers and students are Muslim so maybe there are others that have exemptions?
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
LydiaJW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you gone to vaxlib.org? Check them out, they have info on exemptions, etc, and may be able to help. I would go ahead and file the exemption with your first child as well...I have exemptions for all 3 of my kids even though my first son was vaxed through his 2nd birthday. You shouldn't have to ascribe to any "set" religion to claim religious exemption. I am a Christian yet I am very opposed to vaccination and really do believe that it goes against a lot of my beliefs. They can't force you to choose a religion to affiliate with...many people have beliefs that are a compilation of different religions.
Mama to 3, expecting #4 Peculiar Knits coming in 2009 to a HC near you!
Open for yy/mn customs - get those shorties going for spring!
LydiaJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think lots of Catholics won't because of the aborted fetal cells. No idea though.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Depending on your state, the religious exemption my require you to state what your religion is. I know in Utah, it has to be specified, but we also have the option of a philosophical exemption and with that we don't have to write anything out, just sign the form stating if it's for one or all vaccines.

I'm LDS ("mormon") and there is no doctrine on vaccines. Some of us vax and some of us don't like most religions out there.

You really need to check more into the actual law regarding exemptions for your state. Go to this link and click on your state: http://www.909shot.com/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

A lot of states religious exemption is just like a philosophical exemption, but in others it's a bit harder to get.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
loulou belle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMHO, I would not provide a shot record, just the religious exemption. We are in the same situation, kinda. DD has most but not all. Instead of having to explain why she got some, and not others, or some of one, and didn't finish the series...I just presented the exemption to the school. That way, they can't ask why it is currently against my religious beliefs, but wasn't four years ago. They have no idea that dd has many...but no more!

Re: religious exemption, I don't think you have to provide any explanation regarding your religious beliefs. In my state, I just had to go to the health department, and tell them it was against my beliefs, and to hand over the exemption. The nurse tried to press for more info, and I was prepared to tell her to nicely, mind her own business. I don't think they can ask for specifics. She did however, tell me that dd was going to catch every disease known to man, and that she would probably die/be seriously injured due to my neglect.
loulou belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
lanielayne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both of my ds' were vaxed on schedule, due to ignorance on my part, up until ds2 was 1. I will not be vaxing anymore, neither of my daughters are vaxed. I claim religious exemption. MT doesn't have a philosophical one AFAIK. It doesn't matter that you vaxed them before. I obtained forms from my school district's admin office and had them notarized there for free. We haven't had any issues up to this point. I also don't take them to the doctor unless one is needed therefore I haven't had to explain my decisions.

Last edited by lanielayne; 08-24-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
lanielayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
pregohuff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't let anyone bully you into vaccinations when you clearly have reservations about their safety. If you are nervous as to explaining why you used to vaccinate but now you don't you can say your religious beliefs are "new". It is illegal for them to ask specifics. You can just say that you believe in a higher power and that you believe that power has granted us with an immune system and it would be against your religion to interfere with that. If you are getting any resistance then make them aware of your federal rights, and request from them in writing what exactly they would like to see in a religious exemption letter. (They hate that apparently)

Good luck, if you are looking for more support in your state, try looking up a local chapter of the Holistic Moms Network. holisticmoms.com

Remember there are thousands of moms just like you struggling against the system to make sure their kids are safe.
pregohuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000 View Post
I guess the thing that worries me is claiming a religious exemption after DJ was already vaxed. Beliefs change, right? Actually, if I'd known then what I know now...
The school doesn't know that, do they? If they don't know he's vaxed then it won't even be an issue.