Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Air Travel and a Diono

Is kiddo RFing in the Radian????

If not...spend the $70 and get yourself a Maestro. You will be so glad you did. It is so light that it hangs from the stroller handlebar of a regular stroller.

If kiddo is RFing, spend the $39 and get a Scenara at Walmart. It literally weighs less than half of the Radian.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
but when you use the cart from Wal-mart you can't have your child sit in it at the same time, can you? The bungee straps can't securely fasten it to the wheels can it?

That's the appeal of the Britax or Babyz to me, that a child can sit in it while being wheeled, rather than it just being another item to lug around. The Baby z has a strap that goes through the seat belt path and secures the wheels, the Britax has a place for the Latch strap to be hooked on, I don't see how the bungee cord can work, but by all means if it does, I'm interested in seeing how!
I don't use the bungee cords. Mine has two little metal loops and I hook the latch clips onto it, and then the top teether over the top of the handle and hook onto the bottom bar. It's on there pretty tight using the car seat straps. That said though, my son usually needed to walk so he LOVED to pull his own car seat through the airport while holding my hand. He usually had a little back pack as his carry on and we just put it on the seat of the radian and he pulled it along. Then when it was time to sit and wait, we'd set it down and he'd sit in his own seat. I may have actually put him in it once or twice but I really can't remember since I'd rather he get some exercise when the opportunity presents.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just traveled by myself with DS, his car seat, and we didn't check any bags. We were gone for a week.

I bought a cheap luggage cart from Target. I stacked our luggage and the car seat on the cart and bungeed it on. I had to take everything apart at security so it could be checked. I wore DS off and on through the airport depending on how fast we needed to move and how cooperative he was choosing to be. I did have to rearrange the things on the cart so that we could get down the plane aisle. It wasn't the easiest trip but when is traveling with a child ever easy? Him being in his seat on the plane was the safest thing to do, it was the best chance I had at him behaving, and it was familiar and comfortable enough for him to nap so I sucked it up and dealt with it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
mrsrozberry
Registered Users

Quote:
I guess I don't see how telling me that what I'm doing is not safest in your opinion isn't meant to apply guilt

All of the "evidence" of the BBZ working with the Radian that I can find comes from the manufacturers of the BBZ, so I'm just looking to see if a real person, not interested in selling the product, has actually used it and with what level of success.
She was telling you what could happen. It's well known that they throw stuff around so therefore most of us won't take that risk. If you know the risk and you've taken steps to cushion it and you feel okay with it then go ahead.

Definitely take the radian on the plane though like someone else said it saves your sanity. Good luck mama
mrsrozberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
an_aurora
Registered Users

The LATCH clips on the Radian clips directly onto the frame of the cheapy luggage cart. I've used it many times with kids in the seat.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
justone4me
Registered Users

Quote:
All of the "evidence" of the BBZ working with the Radian that I can find comes from the manufacturers of the BBZ, so I'm just looking to see if a real person, not interested in selling the product, has actually used it and with what level of success.
Not sure what the BBZ is but I have the GoGo Babyz Kids Travelmate and it works great with DD's Radian. I even pull my 40 lb kiddo in it.

Sorry you felt attacked. We all know what could happen to a checked seat, but sometimes we have to weigh the pros & cons and make a parental decision that works best for our family. You're taking extra precautions by putting it in a padded bag. Best of luck to you!!!
justone4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone4me View Post
Not sure what the BBZ is but I have the GoGo Babyz Kids Travelmate and it works great with DD's Radian. I even pull my 40 lb kiddo in it.

Sorry you felt attacked. We all know what could happen to a checked seat, but sometimes we have to weigh the pros & cons and make a parental decision that works best for our family. You're taking extra precautions by putting it in a padded bag. Best of luck to you!!!
She is referring to the GoGo Babyz.

*snip*..walking away
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Is kiddo RFing in the Radian????

If not...spend the $70 and get yourself a Maestro. You will be so glad you did. It is so light that it hangs from the stroller handlebar of a regular stroller.

If kiddo is RFing, spend the $39 and get a Scenara at Walmart. It literally weighs less than half of the Radian.
I'm not buying them new car seats, we're moving there, for 9 months, I'm going to want the good car seats!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou

I'm not buying them new car seats, we're moving there, for 9 months, I'm going to want the good car seats!
Hi there By 'good' I assume you mean 'better'? Because all carseats are safe when used correctly. We don't know which are the 'good' ones because no one releases their test results. Truly, for all we know, Britax could bump up their plush factor to make up for mediocre test results. Just sayin' thumbsup:

Now, if by 'good' you actually mean plush or comfy....then I get it. Sceneras and Maestros are REALLY great seats that fit a lot if kids, are easy on the budget, install easily in tons of vehicles and make for easy travel. Ive had them! But if given the option and should I have enough arms to do so, I'd want my Frontier85 and Roundabout55. But I am a snob.

ETA- I went back and read. I'm going on a limb here and if I'm off, then my apologies. No one is attacking you or guilt tripping you. These are some knowledgable ladies who do not get paid to become educated on travel safety for kids and their seats. You came in with a question, which was answered nicely with the safest option. The general concencus is with a long flight, everyone is more comfortable in their own seat. As well as safer. Yes, safer. It's not an opinion. And, I am blanking on where I read it but iirc, there was a saying that went something to the effect of 'a checked carseat should be considered a crashed carseat'.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 05-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone4me View Post

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know!

I guess DiaperSwapers is just DS, like the poor moms who mention circumcision, I mention checking a car seat I should have expected it.

I'm not checking my seat in a plastic bag, I'm checking in in a very expensive bag specifically recommended by the manufacturer with 2 inches of foam padding to protect the integrity of it. It is the second best way to travel with it, but sometimes, that has to be good enough. My other option would be to upgrade my daughter to a booster, which would have to be checked anyway, so what's the difference there?

I guess my whole point is that my ORIGINAL QUESTION was not about my daughter's seat, it was about the Diono, and wether or not there was a specific bag for it to be safer in to check (I see Diono sells one but it doesn't have the padding that my other one has) OR for advice on getting it through the airport...

Once I saw that I can still use the tray table with the Diono in the seat on the plane, I am 100% certain it will be coming on board with us.

I am looking forward to trying it out with the GoGo Baby Z that we already have, as I'm thrilled to hear someone has used it this way!

If not, it's awesome to hear that the latch straps and tether have allowed some to use it on a basic luggage cart, because that is a lot cheaper than the Travelmate Deluxe that GoGo Babyz also makes.

For everyone who helped to answer the questions that I was actually asking, I really appreciate it!!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote