Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Anyone use All About Spelling and/or All About Reading??

Just curious! I have had local friends rave about it. Still trying to figure out our curriculum for next year. Thanks!

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone use All About Spelling and/or All About Reading??

I'm currently using AAS3 for our oldest, AAR1 for our K'er, and AAR Pre for our PK'r. I really do love this program. Using the phonogram cards, then the tiles, it all works. Plus, with the teacher's guides, everything is laid out for you!!
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

How long do you spend on it each day?? It is not a get a list and take a test type curriculum at all, right??

Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
How long do you spend on it each day?? It is not a get a list and take a test type curriculum at all, right??
You are right. It's all about learning phonics, putting sounds together, learning spelling rules, not blending or sight words. I spend about 15-20 minutes each day with the 2 older kids. Sometimes we get through a full lesson, sometimes we take a few days. In AAS, at the end of each lesson, there are words at the end of each lesson that the teacher dictates and the student writes it out. There are only about 10 words.

I really do loooooooove this program. We started out with Spell, Write, Read in a co-op, but it was really hard to implement at home. So, that's when we switched to AAS. SO glad we did.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yay, now I am off to hunt on ebay!! I will have multiple levels to buy!! I have a 1st grader this year and my friend said to do level 1 and he will fly through, but that it was important. Do you agree?? Then I will have a K'er next year and a preschooler who will be more eager to learn too!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do! And we LOVE it!! After switching through multiple LA curriculums, we found AAS and AAR. It's the most thorough spelling and reading curriculum on the market! I highly recommend!!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Yay, now I am off to hunt on ebay!! I will have multiple levels to buy! !I have a 1st grader this year and my friend said to do level 1 and he will fly through, but that it was important. Do you agree?? Then I will have a K'er next year and a preschooler who will be more eager to learn too!
I do agree. I actually know a mom in our group that put ALL he kids in level one, even her 15 year old. The older ones did work very quickly AND they picked up things they had missed, or overlooked/misunderstood, in the past.

I actually just used AAR pre-level 1 with my son. I was really impressed. I plan on getting all the levels of AAB and AAS.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
cbreeding
Registered Users

I used AAS with my K and we are half way through the 2nd level. I chose not to do AAR because DD already was reading pretty well. However, AAS has been great for improving her reading.

The premise for AAS is that letters and combinations of letters are symbols that represent sounds. The sounds make words. Now that we are in the 2nd level, I do do spelling tests. However it is just the sentences at the end and I do not help her. At the end we work through anything she had difficulty with.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDanae
We do! And we LOVE it!! After switching through multiple LA curriculums, we found AAS and AAR. It's the most thorough spelling and reading curriculum on the market! I highly recommend!!
Same here!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
CrystalnIzzy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just started using AAR. I was tired of trying to piece stuff together (and Izzy was getting really sick of the ETC workbooks) . I started Izzy at lesson 16 in level 1 to keep her moving along, but she "helps" Isaac during his lessons as well. I really like the program, Isaac enjoys doing the games and Izzy really likes reading the stories out of the readers that came along with it.