Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
orion's-lucky-Mama
Registered Users

Possible yeast infection - HELP!

Hello CD'ing mamas!

I'm hoping to get some advice from you as I suspect my son may have a yeast infection. He has had a reoccurring rash above his penis and at the bottom of his jewels (not terrible) but it looks like it is slowly spreading. Once the diaper comes off he pulls on his jewels as if he wanted to rip them off... That's been happening since he found them though...

- we have been CD'ing for 3months - rashes have increased
- we use og prefolds/wool covers
- wash every 3-4 days & rinse with hot water daily before washing
- we uses ECOS detergent. I started double washing (once cycle with detergent and the 2nd without it to rule out detergent build up
- we use biodegradable disposibles at night since he is a HEAVY wetter
- we don't do much naked time anymore because of the "pulling" situation. He gets really frustrated and gives me the "take this off" look. It also might be that he is really itchy :-(
- we started rinsing in the am and before bed with water since it started
- I'm pretty good about changing often. We hardly used covers at home

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
We have used a rash cream in the past that has cleared things up overnight but not working this time --> "SUPER SALVE CO's Baby Bottom Cream"

Also tried:
-coconut oil
-natures baby organics diaper ointment
-colloidal silver gel (also has done miracles in the past)

I do have some organic corn starch since he was born but I read somewhere that it makes it worse. Also was told direct sunlight would help. How about breast milk?

Has anyone had luck clearing an infection NATURALLY?*

TIA <3

Advertisement

orion's-lucky-Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Possible yeast infection - HELP!

Grapefruit seed extract mixed with melted coconut oil. My daughter had a yeast rash that was awful for two weeks. Tuesday, we tried this on the recommendation of other cding moms. Today her rash is nearly gone. Also treat the laundry with grapefruit seed extract to kill the yeast on those, of course, assuming it is yeast.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
orion's-lucky-Mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeeCW View Post
Grapefruit seed extract mixed with melted coconut oil. My daughter had a yeast rash that was awful for two weeks. Tuesday, we tried this on the recommendation of other cding moms. Today her rash is nearly gone. Also treat the laundry with grapefruit seed extract to kill the yeast on those, of course, assuming it is yeast.
Ah YES!!! I just did some research and am also seeing tea tree oil. I feel like the grapefruit seed would be a little milder on his skin. I will try that ASAP!

THANK YOU so much!<3
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you're going to want to bleach all of your diapers to kill the yeast. I would use a medicated cream with disposables to nip it in the bud. Wouldn't hurt to see the doc if there is no improvement.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
k_apple
Registered Users
seller

Maybe look into candida. I think my daughter has it, still trying to figure out what to do about it.
k_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

You will need to disinfect all of your diapers or they will just keep reinfecting him. Bleach kills the yeast. GFSE will take care of the spores but I don't think it will kill the yeast. Have you tried adding a fleece liner to his diapers to keep him dry? I mean they all like their parts but I think I would do naked time anyway unless he is hurting himself. Also adding a daily probiotic to his diet might be helpful.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
You will need to disinfect all of your diapers or they will just keep reinfecting him. Bleach kills the yeast. GFSE will take care of the spores but I don't think it will kill the yeast.
This is true. You can also wipe his bottom with a little apple cider vinegar to clear up the rash faster, then use coconut oil before you put on the new diaper.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
orion's-lucky-Mama
Registered Users

THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful advise. I started googling pics of yeast infections and my son's is not like that - so I will call it a rash. I have tried a lot of things that clear it up a biy but what brings it back is if I don't change him at night. He is a heavy wetter! I picked up some homeopathic Calendula ointment and that is clearing it up really well. :-D Looks like I will keep changing him at night until it clears up completely.

He pulls at his jewels so much when we do naked time that he scratches himself. It may be that he is so itchy but he has been doing the pulling since he discovered his penis. I do my best with cutting nails but they are so sharp and grow so quickly. I also am making sure I wipe him in between every change and apply the ointment regularly.

I will update in a week!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
orion's-lucky-Mama
Registered Users

A mama recommended a kissaluvs spray that is sold in GMD. Anyone use this! I'm turned off by the preservative and am thinking of making my own. What do you do in between diaper changes to avoid rashes?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Because I was battling a rash and didn't know what from, I went back to water mixed with a little baby wash. Make sure super clean and super dry each time.