Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A toddler & a wedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I would stay home and wait for the sitter. Kids can be so disruptive, especially tired ones.
This. I wouldn't bring a toddler to a ceremony.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
BabyNMe_101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's the be-cranky-and-overtired type! And hubbers is IN the wedding. Its his friend.

Last edited by BabyNMe_101; 05-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
BabyNMe_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyNMe_101 View Post
She's the be-cranky-and-overtired type! And hubbers is IN the wedding. Its his friend.
Yeah, stay home.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyNMe_101 View Post
I would either get a different sitter or wait for this one. I wouldn't bring a cranky baby/toddler to one of the most important days in your friends' lives.

Depending on whether it is a religious ceremony, it could be lengthy. Our wedding Mass wss about 90 minutes. Not great for a tired toddler who does not have to be there.

Last edited by z2akids; 05-10-2013 at 09:27 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
sojomisa
Registered
seller

If you really wanted to go you could go to the cry room if she starts to wind up. Assuming the church has one, of course. I'd call and ask.

I watched my BIL and SIL's wedding from the cry room as my 11 month old crawled around my feet.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

At that age my kids have already learned to behave pretty well at church and since weddings are shorter events (normally) then I'd not have a second thought about taking them, esp with only having one child. I took my 3, 1.5, newborn to my friend's wedding last year. They were so curious about what was going on that they were quiet. After the wedding, I'd drop off with the sitter and then go to the reception.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not take her if the invite didn't include her, she is prone to meltdowns when tired , or there is not a place to take her if she does get cranky. If none if the above I would take her knowing I might have to leave.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me it would depend on a few things.

How long is the wedding? A Catholic Mass can be over an hour, but some other services are 20 minutes or less.

Where is the wedding? Cathedrals are echo-y and you can hear every little sound.

Is your child use to sitting still in church or other places for an extended amount of time?

We're Catholic, so our kids attend Mass every Sunday. We've never had an issue with them at a wedding because they are used to it, and pretty intrigued that something special is going on. I would be hesitant if it was not something they were used to and was in a place where every little peep would be heard and it would be hard to sneak out quietly if they were getting antsy.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

We just took our 2 yr old to a family wedding. He ate all his snacks within the first 30 seconds of the ceremony and then started talking. The room we were in was all hard surfaces and extremely echo-y. I spent the entire ceremony in the bathroom with him because that was the only place to go. There were no high chairs or boosters at the reception. He spilled water on the dance floor, had two horrible dirty diapers during the reception, threw up a little bit at the table after gulping too much water, and I was generally just stressed. I found attending a wedding with a toddler to be way more stressful than getting married myself. He loved the dancing, but it took forever to get to that part.

We go to church every Sunday and he can sit through an hour-long service very well, but the wedding was kind of a fail, and it was a 4:30 wedding so we weren't even dealing with tiredness/naptime.