Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Help me pick a pump

Oay so even though our insurance covers breastpumps, they make you jump through so many hoops that its not even worth it to try anymore. Seriously I've been going round and round with them for about 5 months. I'm done. S I'm looking to just buy one. But i dunno which one. I don't need a heavy heavy duty one...it'd pretty much only be for nights t with my husband or to give a babysitter for something. Or mastitis (currently fighting which is what sent me over the edge.) anyhow-I do want an electric cause the manuals never seem to work for me...I tried 2 different ones before and neither did much, with my younger son I have a double electric playtex one, but when I tried to use it recently there was no suction. And my husband tinkered....and then it wouldn't turn on at all. Sigh. I had a first years one with my. Lest but the flange is too small for my gargantuan boobs end it took months to work that out...painful months.

I really don't want to spend a huge amount of money but dude-I don't remember pumps being THIS expensive! So help me out...give me an idea of which ones are really worth it!

Advertisement

kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
1healthylady
Registered Users

Re: Help me pick a pump

I've given up on my Ameda Purely Yours and now use my Avent Manual full time (4-5 pumps a day). I would love to have the Avent twin electric because the manual is working sooo much better for me than the Ameda. I think mostly it's the flange that feels better and being able to really control the speed/suction with every squeeze. Which is why the description in the Avent electric pump of 'remembers your personal rhythm' intrigues me. I just can't justify spending the money on a new pump with only 4 months left of pumping when the manual has been working for the past 2 months. I also love that you can pump directly into the bottles that LO can drink out of. I'm a huge fan of fewer bottles to wash! I went ahead and bought a pack of the Avent bottle sealing discs so I don't have to wash as many nipples too.

Sorry this may not be very helpful in your search since I haven't actually tried the pump I'm recommending. I'm sure someone who has actually used a pump that they like will weigh in. Hope you find something that works for you!!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
StarGazerLily00
Registered Users

Honestly, the cheaper electric pumps can have problems with the suction or fit if they don't come with a different flange size. Since you aren't pumping regularly, I would reconsider a manual pump; the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump works well for many moms. If it didn't work well, it might not have been the right size flange. There should not be any pain/pinching with the fit or too much air around the areola. There should be a a nice spray when you pump once you have a let down. You could always contact a LLL leader to help make sure the pump fits or an LC from the hospital. If you qualify for WIC, they might be able to help with a pump. Best of luck!
StarGazerLily00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

What about buying a used electric pump that's a closed system? I'd personally never buy a used personal medela pump - they are open systems, but other brands are closed (like the Ameda Purely Yours). The Hygeia is a multi-user pump too, and I believe that the Bailey pump is also designed as a multi-user pump.

With insurance covering pumps for lots of people these days, the price of used pumps has come down significantly from what I've seen...