Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thinking of switching pumps. Advice? Recs?

do you want to pump less out? you should try taking a bit of sage herb and then pumping a tad less time each session. it will dwindle the milk slowly. take advil for swelling.
http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...bs-oversupply/

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Maplecat
Registered Users
seller

I agree that lube is important for comfort. I only use a tiny amount and I never have anything that needs wiping off. Try using just a tiny amount.
Maplecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for more advice! I think I'd ultimately want to pump less and have had success using peppermint tea and pumping for slightly shorter time frames each time to decrease supply but I'm still having issues with clogs and not feeling as empty as I should for the time I pump (if that makes sense). The last pump I used less lube and really made sure to hold the flanges close to my body and that HELPED some. It only seems like the right side has trouble emptying and now I noticed this weird peeling skin on it that's got me a little concerned. Calling lactation now.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So, peeling is from recovering from Mastitis. She said try lubing. It would help with comfort and since I'd get less milk out anyway it would ultimately help decrease supply slowly. Said we can reassess pumps and other issues Tuesday after my little lady will get assessed to see if she can get back on the breast or not (ie if I will be exclusively pumping long term or not). FX

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yet another update. So, I saw a consultant IN PERSON and looks like I have very elastic nip tissue (not surprised nursing and pumping for 2 kids). Said I need to get even bigger flanges. I went from the medium, up to large, but she thinks I may need xl or xxl (if they make those ) b/c you should only draw in 1/4inch of tissue in the flange tube (I ALWAYS filled those tubes UP with breast tissue). Wow! Also, said, to ditch my freestyle pump. Said its a good pump, but I need a hospital grade one to sufficiently empty me (why Ive gotten mastitis once my daughter was discharged from the hospital and I started using my pump exclusively). To decrease supply, she said to lube, keep drinking peppermint tea (I generally have to be careful about herbs since my little lady had CHD) and pump less frequently for shorter intervals. This seems to jive better with me than what the other consultant said. Im really hopeful this will help. Im off to hunt down xl flanges :-) Also, called insurance and they will cover 85% of a symphony rental so itll only be like 10 bucks a month!!!! !!!

Last edited by amb2j; 05-10-2013 at 12:20 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The biggest flanges Medela makes are glass and expensive. Often times the pump rental place also offers flange rental.

The XXL breastshield is 36 mm
The largest though is 40mm and they are glass.

Not sure what you need but the 36mm on medela.com are $15.15
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Called my local maternity boutique and they have BOTH sizes in stock!! :-)
Just had my first pain free pump!!!

Last edited by amb2j; 05-10-2013 at 06:08 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
manniewcu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
Called my local maternity boutique and they have BOTH sizes in stock!! :-)
Just had my first pain free pump!!!
Awesome! Glad you were able to figure out something that works for you!
manniewcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Ktanner
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Medela advanced pump in style was wonderful for me!
Ktanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found the best combination using my PISA with Ameda parts, the tubes fit and the flexshfield for the flanges helps with the comfort level. I was on a business trip and didn't bring the flexshield (trying to reduce the amount of parts to wash in hotel), and my poor nipples were in definite pain when I returned. This combo also makes the PISA a closed-tube pump.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote