Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
anybody tried the harmony defender yet?

I need to get a 3 across in my trailblazer and I'm wondering if I could work a Harmony Defender into the mix, but I don't wanna mess with it if its not a good seat and will (hopefully) work...the only place around here I can get a Defender is walmart, but ours is VERY rude about returning carseats once they're out of the box, even if its same day and an installation issue.

I had a Nautilus in the center, FF Blvd 70 behind driver, and highback evenflo booster behind passenger. I definitely want to get rid of the Nautilus because its so bulky and quite frankly, DD hates it (complains about the crotch buckle digging in, seat being too hard, etc). She's doing well with booster training and I'm comfortable with her size & maturity with the booster to let her move to the highback evenflo, which fits her well (she's 5, 45 lbs, and 43"). ODS has a backless turbobooster and a backless harmony booster, and I actually prefer the fit to the harmony booster over the turbo on him, plus its smaller (or at least seems smaller) and I think it'll work better for a 3 across. The center seat in the trailblazer is skiiiiiiinny though. I can fit the harmony in there perfectly, and managed to puzzle the Nautilus in by putting the Britax next to it, using the seatbelt for Nautilus (and letting it sit on the buckle stalk for the position the Blvd was in) and using LATCH for the Blvd (which are more inset on the seat). Buuuuuttt...when I take the Nautilus out, I can only get the harmony next to the blvd to fit right because the top sides of the highback booster and the boulevard won't puzzle right...personally, I can't understand how the Nautilus & Blvd would puzzle side by side FF'ing and the Blvd and booster won't? The center position doesn't have a headrest, and I'd like to try to keep a headrest behind the backless booster, so it needs to stay outboard. I can't get the blvd to fit in the center position, it pretty much needs to be LATCH installed in order to get it to puzzle with anything else so I can "layer" over the unused belt stalk.

Think it would make sense to ditch the Blvd (which is great, but I don't love it so much that I'd miss it either, kwim?) AND the Nautilus, and do a Defender instead? Anybody know how it compares to either the Nautilus or Boulevard, particularly in width?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anybody tried the harmony defender yet?

I don't have one but I totally want one. They are now sending out longer crotch straps, so they have fixed the major gripe people had with it. I'm waiting on a pretty cover . They appear to be nice and narrow.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been using mine for a few months and like it Right now it's our only seat so I don't know about puzzling but it's nice and narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope they come out with more cover options before my 5 year old needs a taller harness. It seems like a great seat and I plan to go take a look at one tomorrow

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I played with one and liked it. We ultimately decided on the Harmony folding booster, but my DD is almost 6.5 and sits fine in a booster, so I didn't want to pay extra for a harness we didn't need.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

With only one LO I haven't tried to puzzle it, but we've had one in my car for about 2 weeks & like it. It's obviously much narrower than the Frontier we have in DP's car & I believe it's pretty significantly narrower than the Nauti (it seemed so when we tried DD in both).
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Chellot06
Registered Users
seller

i want a girly cover firsr!
Chellot06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I plan on getting one for ds when his seat expires this year. Then if/when we have a 3rd baby we will get rid of dds nautilus and get a harmony booster. The nautilus is 22" on the bottom and the harmondy seats are only 16.5-17"! I have read a ton of reviews and the only thing I see wrong is about half the people don't like the crotch strap. They will send you a longer one if you call and request it. I did see an email they sent to someone who questioned the strap and Harmony said. Shorter strap was deemed safer in a car accident...kept the kids in place better I assume....so that is why they chose a short strap.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!

Last edited by Mamaleah; 05-23-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The new crotch buckle is only one inch longer, but it makes all the difference. Here's some pictures comparing the two. New Crotch Buckle

I wonder if they will make the longer one standard since it seems a lot of people who haven't thought to call the company have returned it--some reluctantly-- all because of the buckle.

I tried it out as best I could. Walmart had it sitting out but didn't bother putting it together properly. The back was duct taped to the bottom Anyway, my 5 year old isn't very big but the short buckle was pretty low but would be fine for her...but ouchy for little boys. Not that my 1 year old will ride in it any time soon but I wanted to see how this would effect a boy. Even a 1/4 longer would have made it tall enough to sit on his pubic bone instead of his boy parts.

The fabric is pretty darn plush which has me sold. I'm just going to wait a little while longer since my daughter still fits her Evenflo Tribute. Maybe a new cover will come out

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very nice! Thanks for the pics!