Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone went from natural child birth to medicated by choice?

I've wondered this...I had one late epidural, one that didn't work and one un-pain medicated birth that resulted in a 9lb 11oz baby that got stuck (shoulder dystocia)....it was rough! Post birth while they put me back together they gave me morphine, so I don't recall much until about 4 hours after the birth.

Advertisement

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I feel you. I had 1 typical epi birth. 1 horrible spinal headache, failed bloodpatch epi birth, and 1 amazing home water birth. I don't know why it is scaring me to think about the pain. Part of me wants to just lay there and feel no pain. But thinking about my spinal fluid leaking for weeks again scares me even more.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley View Post
Ok....like?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
Demoral. L&D doesn't like to give it if birth is imminent (like within an hour), but if you ask for it, they'll give it. They can give you enough to make you sleep or just take the edge off so you can relax.

Ask your doctor what your options are, you should be able to come up with a good plan of attack. Also, I would find out who did the epidural last time and make it 100% clear that they are not to touch you. After getting it in the wrong spot, you should have sued for malpractice. Any idiot resident should be able to correctly place an epidural and should be able to do it in less than three minutes. By anesthesiology standards, it's a basic procedure.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can totally relate to this. After having 2 natural births I decided for the most recent one (5 weeks ago) to have an epidural once I knew I was in active labor. I knew I was likely to have a large baby and did not think I could handle things well once it came time to push and I didn't want my stress to make it harder to push him out. I ended up having an epidural for just about the last hour of my labor. It took the edge off of things, but honestly I could still feel quite a bit and could feel him being born, etc. I was VERY glad I opted to have an epidural, and thankful it went smoothly. I think it helped me mentally relax and focus on the task at hand.

Quote:
I've had two epidurals (one that went horribly wrong) and 3 Completly un medicated births. I've always felt as though un medicated is better for baby and mama and physically felt sooooo much better after natural child birth. Difference was night and day. Even though I know and experienced this, this time around I'm feeling like I just don't want to deal with the pain! Am I just being lazy? I'm embarrassed to even say anything to friends or family because I'm the one always touting the benefits of doing things naturally the way God intended. I know that I can do it naturally and I know and have experienced the risks associated with a medicated one, so why on earth am I feeling like taking the riskier medicated road? Anyone experienced this and just got tired of doing it naturally? Am I losing my marbles?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
First I went in middle of the night and they said it'd be a long time, gave me morphine which took the edge off. They claimed it was safe. My OB was on vacation. Of course. They also have me a ambien to help me rest. Luckily the morphine made me throw up the ambien. It took just enough edge off to relax my body to dialate VERY quickly, the OB walked in as I was ready to push.
2nd I went all night, 1/2 the next day without pain mess but with pitocin. I was 41 weeks, 3cm and contractions had stopped. W my history of moving along quickly dr didn't want to send me home. Finally couldn't take it and got an epidural which only took the edge off. Had my little girl and hour later, if that.

My body just needs to take the edge off and all went smoothly.
My epi baby was nursing minutes after birth. My 1st didn't nurse well for a few months.

My advice, be open to options in the moment.
My 2nd wouldn't have been so traumatic if I hadn't been so afraid of the epidural.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Ok....like?

Have you considered Hypnobabies? I had a fairly uneventful epi w/ #1. #2 and #3 were hypnobabies births. I'm a big fan.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #27
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaiya

Have you considered Hypnobabies? I had a fairly uneventful epi w/ #1. #2 and #3 were hypnobabies births. I'm a big fan.
I didn't hypnobabies........but I had the lights off and PRAYED the whole labor. Dh and MIL and BF were warned not to talk loud. It was very serene and peaceful. I was totally in a great "zone". I remember asking myself, several times, "why is the pain not killing me?" and I was induced and on pitocin. Awe....the power of prayer and Gods mercy :-)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Momof6girlz
Registered Users
Formerly: steenerson7
seller

My Mood:

My first 4 were all natural, #5 I decided I wanted an epidural. I had no complications with it and was up and walking with in an hour of having her. I have to say I enjoyed her birth the most My last was a c section so I had no choice
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof6girlz View Post
My first 4 were all natural, #5 I decided I wanted an epidural. I had no complications with it and was up and walking with in an hour of having her. I have to say I enjoyed her birth the most My last was a c section so I had no choice
Just being nosy, why was #6 a section? As a "grand-multip" the risk of a c/s is always on my mind. I have told my DH if I have a C/S then we are DONE! Quite honestly though I am feeling pretty done with 7 so we shall see. He wants more.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
Momof6girlz
Registered Users
Formerly: steenerson7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerrn View Post
Just being nosy, why was #6 a section? As a "grand-multip" the risk of a c/s is always on my mind. I have told my DH if I have a C/S then we are DONE! Quite honestly though I am feeling pretty done with 7 so we shall see. He wants more.
I had a c section cause she was breech I tried everything to get her to turn but she decided she was comfy I ended up having my tubes tied since they were already in there