Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaElaine View Post

I am a size 18 as well. How big was she when she grew out of the beco? DS is very tall and nearly 20 pounds already, so I am worried about not getting much use out of it. I am also talking to a woman online that has a Boba for sale, but the Beco is cheaper and local.
I moved up to the kinderpack when she was around 9 months or so. She's 13 months now and just over 20#. I think she'd still technically fit but it wouldn't be particularly comfortable for either of us.

Advertisement

IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Fritchmom
Registered Users

I am around a 20 and tried almost all the big name carriers. We started with a boba wrap and now son is 6 mo and 17 plus lbs. I really am comfortable with the boba 3G and I also really like the Tula. Pax baby offered rental if you want to try one out before you commit.
Fritchmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When I was a size 22 I found regular sized carriers (babyhawk, kozy, Moby) fit just fine
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
fostermama40
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best carrier for plus size

Glad I ran across this thread, I have gotten fluffier since our son and w/ our daughter I really want to baby wear but the ABC carrier we have barely fits now while she is 3mo so I imagine it isn't going to work much longer. I do really like my comfy joey ring slings though and figured I wouldn't be able to use any type of carrier now that I am bigger. I will be looking into the carriers mentioned. Thanks
fostermama40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the ideas! We ended up purchasing the Beco Butterfly 2 because it was such a good price. I wore DS at our local farmer's market this weekend and he LOVED it! However, I could definitely feel it in my back. While it does the job it should, I feel like there is something out there that will be more comfy. Now that we know he enjoys being worn, I will definitely be looking into some of these other carriers. Thanks everyone!
MandaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Thanks for all the ideas! We ended up purchasing the Beco Butterfly 2 because it was such a good price. I wore DS at our local farmer's market this weekend and he LOVED it! However, I could definitely feel it in my back. While it does the job it should, I feel like there is something out there that will be more comfy. Now that we know he enjoys being worn, I will definitely be looking into some of these other carriers. Thanks everyone!
Were your straps tight enough? I held my niece in that one and it hurt my back but i realized the straps weren't tight enough. They should be pretty snug against your chest.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 View Post
Were your straps tight enough? I held my niece in that one and it hurt my back but i realized the straps weren't tight enough. They should be pretty snug against your chest.
Agreed.

I mostly lurk here to learn more, but we did use a Beco w/ DD. I'm usually about a 12/14 & DP is plus-sized. We both used the same Beco with no problems until DD was 2+ & 30+ lbs. At that point, we still could have kept her in the Beco, but she mostly wanted to walk or be in the stroller by then. My biggest complaint was that DD was so tall, I didn't like her legs whacking me in the thighs . Anyway, I kept the straps pretty tight & it really didn't bother me back much...I'd try tightening before writing it off--but if it isn't "the one" for you, then it's not, KWIM?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #18
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Are you front carrying or back carrying? There's no way I could wear my 20# DD for a long timeframe (especially walking around) and not have my back hurt. But I just wore her for 3 days straight (for a good 5-6 hours each day) on my back in the kinderpack and I didn't feel it in my back AT ALL!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
MandaElaine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the straps were short enough. When I first tried it, they were definitely too long. I shortened them quite a bit, and it seemed more comfortable. I front carried him this weekend, but I can see back carrying being more comfortable. I've tried it at home and he loves it, but I didn't back carry when we were out and about. He's still pretty young (almost 6 months) so I was worried about not being able to see him.
MandaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I think the straps were short enough. When I first tried it, they were definitely too long. I shortened them quite a bit, and it seemed more comfortable. I front carried him this weekend, but I can see back carrying being more comfortable. I've tried it at home and he loves it, but I didn't back carry when we were out and about. He's still pretty young (almost 6 months) so I was worried about not being able to see him.
I got a little mirror that attaches to my carrier with a retractable cord so that I can watch DD! Pretty inexpensive too.